Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Building a vidicon camera, need some help!

G'day all.

I am in the process of building a 2/3" vidicon tube B&W camera from scratch and have most of the parts to do it. So far the circuitry is about 90% complete minus a few components which I will soon be getting. Anyways I have hit a stumbling block with the given schematics as there are a couple of lead out points that I am unsure where they go and cannot match them up with anything, and they are the "mixed sync" and "line drive" situated on the timebase schematic, I can't seem to find on the 3 schematics where they go to. Do any of you know where those two lines go to on the given schematics?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg power supply circuit.jpg (60.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg timebase circuit.jpg (96.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg video circuit.jpg (76.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg vidicon.jpg (45.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg circuits.jpg (89.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 AM
TV Camera Museum Curator

camera

Hi

The Line drive & field drive connections are only used when the camera is to be locked to an external sync pulse generator.

The mixed sync (MS) goes to the video amplifier board as does the mixed blanking (MB).

When you have completed your project, would you consider writing it up for publication in CQ-TV the journal of the BATC www.batc.org.uk

regards

Brian S
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

This looks like a fun project. Where did you get the plans, the vidicon, etc?
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSummers View Post
Hi

The Line drive & field drive connections are only used when the camera is to be locked to an external sync pulse generator.

The mixed sync (MS) goes to the video amplifier board as does the mixed blanking (MB).

When you have completed your project, would you consider writing it up for publication in CQ-TV the journal of the BATC www.batc.org.uk

regards

Brian S
G'day Brian. Thanks for the info. I made a bit of mistake with my question though, it wasn't the Mixed Sync I was meant to ask, it was the Mixed Blanking In on the video amp board, I would like to know where does the mixed blanking in come from as I see no mixed blanking output lines coming from anywhere else to input to Mixed Blanking In? Does it possibly come from the Mixed Sync line? I know there's a blanking line coming from the 4011 chip on the timebase board and a blanking connection from the vidicon tube, I assume those two go together?

Anyways I'd be more than happy to write a publication for the CQ-TV journal once this project is complete and operational, thanks for offering me the opportunity! This project is a warmup project to get me more familiar with camera electronics technology as I've previously mentioned I want to build a solid state driven 3 inch image orthicon tube camera.

I've now featured my project on my website, it can be viewed here http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/mycamera.html . I've decided to also make a separate board for all adjustment pots so I can make adjustments in one place.

Lastly to answer old_tv_nut's question I got the schematics from the Amateur Television Handbook which can be downloaded here http://www.batc.org.uk/cq-tv/archive/handbooks.html on the BATC site.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

You would have to find some deflection coils for the Vids & Orth. I've never really looked at P.U. tube deflection coils so don't know what they look like. I think they're usually shielded like in picture inside of TK 60
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
You would have to find some deflection coils for the Vids & Orth. I've never really looked at P.U. tube deflection coils so don't know what they look like. I think they're usually shielded like in picture inside of TK 60
Yep definitely got that in mind, I have a friend who is going to donate me a yoke for my vidicon camera, I already have a yoke but it's for static focus vidicon tubes only and the circuit is designed for a magnetic focus vidicon tube. As for the image orthicon yoke, the company I use to work for may be able to build one up for me when I get the design details for a 3" IO yoke as they build transformers and RF chokes and other inductors. Alternatively I will have to track one down.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Hi

The mixed Blanking (MB) goes from IC4 to TR6 emitter on the video amplifier board, in this case both the emitter and base are inputs. TR6 combines the MB with the picture signal by biasing off the transistor during the blanking period. When you come to connect up the yoke some care with the routing and the line scan return wire to the 0v rail. needs to connect close to tR15 and the 220u decoupling cap. A bit like taking care as you would with an audio amplifier to avoid loops!.

Spare IO yokes can be found, They were sometimes changed in service and hidden away by the engineers, as about.

Brian
Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSummers View Post
Hi

The mixed Blanking (MB) goes from IC4 to TR6 emitter on the video amplifier board, in this case both the emitter and base are inputs. TR6 combines the MB with the picture signal by biasing off the transistor during the blanking period. When you come to connect up the yoke some care with the routing and the line scan return wire to the 0v rail. needs to connect close to tR15 and the 220u decoupling cap. A bit like taking care as you would with an audio amplifier to avoid loops!.

Spare IO yokes can be found, They were sometimes changed in service and hidden away by the engineers, as about.

Brian
G'day Brian thanks once again. So it's the blanking output of pin 11 on IC4 to the emitter on TR6. One last question in relation to this, just need you to confirm that the blanking pin 1 on the vidicon tube intersects with the blanking output of pin 11 on IC4 as well?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 AM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Hmmmm... there seems to be no other likely connection point, I'm less than happy with the connecting of the vidicon cathode directly to the 4011 output, give it a go and see. I would have the 4011 in a socket!

Brian