Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found vintage CCTV camera, need some info

Hello all, I just acquired a very old General Electric CCTV camera and would like to know if anyone has some information about it. Inside the case the model is listed as 4TE20A1AT. No hits on google except for a partial match which mentions the camera in a completely unrelated document. Its not exactly a broadcast camera but this looks like a good place to ask. Anyhow here are a few pics

The internals are early solid state with germanium transistors and a single nuvistor tube. I'd like to see if the camera works at all but I'm not sure what kind of signal it outputs. My background is in electronics and my hobby is tube audio but this is certainly a new subject.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 AM
M is for Memory

I believe this would have been used as a security camera way back in the time of EAIJ format video tape recorders.
This link has some good info on cameras and recorders of that era.
http://www.labguysworld.com/

The video jack on the rear is just that. If your camera works and you conect the video jack on the camera to the yellow video input jack on your TV (you will have to make a cable to do that) you should get picture.

Back when that camera was made video cables used the conector that is on your camera, then when consumer video equipment became relatively affordable they started using the RCA conectors you see on video equipment today.

Hope this helps.

Tom C.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

The plug you require is known as a 'PL-259' or 'UHF' connector. Adaptors from UHF male to BNC female are still available in some electronics components shops.

As Tom says the 'composite video' signal should be compatible with the 'video in' of a domestic TV set.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now that's one cool looking camera!!! I want one!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. The camera came from a hamfest. The seller had another one with a larger silver lens and tried to sell me both for $10. I declined but decided to stop back on the way to the car. This one was left and so $5 later it was all mine.

Well I located the correct connector and an rca jack so I'll solder a cable together. Expect some pictures if it does work.
Audiokarma
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Is that the power cord-or what's left of it-next to the "PL-259" connector ? Looks like it might have been snipped off...Cute, innerestin' little playpretty in any case...(grin)
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok one new power cord and adapter cable later it does output something but its either not composite video or something else is wrong. It looks like the horizontal sync is wrong or not there. There are horizontal white bars at the top and bottom of the screen and its mostly dark in the center. Guess I'll have to start looking at the voltages.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Archivist for SMECC

We have several... includeing a monster pelco waterproof dive chamber for one and some great monitors that have round picture tubes... (monitors may be earlier??)

I also have a pic of this cam or one in similar housing being used on a robo tripod head in a broadcast news small suitation.

let me see what the ge catalog has in it and I hould have manuals but not findable fast.

Would have seen this earlier but videokarma does not tell you if new people post... they need to make it lioke google groups so you get notified via email

yepper it is a cool comera...
email me .
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by astouffer View Post
Hello all, I just acquired a very old General Electric CCTV camera and would like to know if anyone has some information about it. Inside the case the model is listed as 4TE20A1AT. No hits on google except for a partial match which mentions the camera in a completely unrelated document. Its not exactly a broadcast camera but this looks like a good place to ask. Anyhow here are a few pics

The internals are early solid state with germanium transistors and a single nuvistor tube. I'd like to see if the camera works at all but I'm not sure what kind of signal it outputs. My background is in electronics and my hobby is tube audio but this is certainly a new subject.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Archivist for SMECC

here is a use of the case of the cctv camera to make a better product

www.smecc.org/media/0%20DSC04517.jpg

I have no idea what the 2 cameras will have in common aside from the shape of the case...

We have 2 of the cctv versions like in the other photos but I remembered seeing this.........
Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Archivist for SMECC

www.smecc.org/media/0%20DSC04515.jpg

a nicer view with the newscaster!

from smecc archiive
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Archivist for SMECC

I would saay using the TE and PE seies of naming things raahter than the GE long cataalog number this is a TE-20-

here is a price ref.

I have aa brrochre on this. I may even get to scanning it at some point.
Drop me a note offlist if you are still in need.
the 20 nd the 22 the diff. being the 22 can work remote and has a ccu

the 20 is for self contained operation

this is from a chem. expeiment on the internet... lookie at the prices!

============================

The basic video recording installation. The following basic components are needed in any initial installation: One camera with internal 2:1 synchronizing generator such as General Electric TE-20A . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. $1595.00 One zoom lens such as Angenieux 25- 100 mm f 2.8 with close-up attach- ment and extension tubes . . . . . . . 450.00 One tripod, head and dolly such as Quick-Set Samson tripod (7301), head (7201) and dolly (7601) . . . . 148.00 One camera monitor-receiver such as the 5-inch Sony PVJ-305 RU. . . . . . 260.00 One omni-directional dynamic micro- phone such as Sony F-91 . . . . . . . . 90.00 One one-inch video tape recorder with slow and stop motion capability such as Sony EV-200 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 4200.00 One 23-inch viewing monitor such as Conrac model CVA23 . . . . . . . . . . . 400.00 Total $7143.00 Where the full horizontal resolution

Last edited by couryhouse; 07-01-2011 at 05:49 PM.