Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Remote Control

I have a '64 Zenith console, "The Chancellor" with a 25LC20QS chassis. I have the correct space command 400 remote for this set however this remote was bought separately. I am trying to find out how to get the remote to function with this set. I am enclosing a picture of what I think is the remote section on the back of the tv. What is the manual/automatic switch at the top? I couldn't find anything in the sams about this. A picture of the remote is in the nearby vertical centering thread. Any help appreciated. Also an unrelated issue, I can't seem to fine tune the picture. Regardless of which way I turn the tuning knob, it seems to have no effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote1.jpg (95.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg remote2.jpg (90.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg tuning1.jpg (73.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by VA561; 03-12-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-12-2017, 03:21 PM
M is for Memory

Manual disables the remote, Automatic enables the remote. It is a fail safe insace a relay sticks, and it also allows power savings on vacations, etc.

It was not uncommon for Zenith to shuffle the remote rods arround or use different ones on different years/models. Do any of the remote buttons activate any relays on the set?

I generally troubleshoot remotes by plugging in the set's mike to a scope to confirm the mike works. Then I try to follow that signal through the remote chassis with the scope. I often use an audio generator that can go up to 20-30KHz to replace the mike while signal tracing....You can also dial the signal gen around to see if the relays work, but happen to be tuned to different freqs. If it works on different freqs you can compare them to the ones in the hand unit and see which functions on the set best match the rods and tune those functions to those rods (and later reshuffle the rods the buttons operate so that the labels match).

The fine tuning mech in your tuner may need work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-12-2017, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Channel lower button works. Volume/on-off button does not work. Sound (mute) button works. Channel higher button does not work.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Followin' the Rules...

When one or two functions on ultrasonics fail, it is usually the remote - the rods corrode, the mounts deteriorate, or the striker has deformed. Got another remote to try? If not, take a close look at the rods and mounts in your remote. Post pix if you can - I've seen just a speck of encrusted dirt kill a function on the clicker remotes.

3/4ths of your remote receiver are known good if you have any functions working.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Took remote apart to inspect and clean. Pictures are before I used contact cleaner to carefully clean any gunk out. Inside looked surprisingly clean. After cleaning it still does the same thing. I noticed inside the remote section there looks to be a possible sensitivity adjustment? Have noticed when I hit the channel higher button, I hear nothing in the remote section as I do with all of the other buttons. Volume/on-off button makes a sound in the remote section like the rest of the good buttons but does nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote adjust.jpg (43.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg sc4001.jpg (88.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg sc4002.jpg (49.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg sc4003.jpg (97.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg sc4004.jpg (97.1 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by VA561; 03-12-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Agree on the cleanliness - spotless! Be careful with any adjustments - I'd follow the alignment procedure for the remote chassis - do you have a Zenith manual for the remote chassis? Sams is awful with their alignment procedures for remote chassis (at least for RCA and Magnavox...).

If that is indeed a sensitivity control - be careful - too sensitive and some features will quit working, as the gain is increased to the point of saturating the amp, and causing the control pulses to widen. Also, too much sensitivity can cause it to respond to other sounds - keys jingling on a key chain, the phone, etc.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't have the zenith manual for the remote chassis. You would think that if it was a sensitivity issue that none of the buttons would work or all would work.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you lose your Zenith tuning fork remote...

and want to see if the remote is working, get out your key chain and shake vigorously in front of the set. If the tuner or any control moves, you can bet the rest of the functions work. At least that was the way it was in the 60's when we serviced the things. Great way to change the channels at home if the remote isn't handy.

Last edited by reeferman; 03-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tried the key jiggling method. Nothing.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I tried to use the remote about an hour ago and nothing. No buttons worked. Tried it again a few minutes ago and the same buttons that worked before worked again. Why would it stop working all of a sudden and then start working again? Sams wants an additional $22 for the remote chassis photofact, 705-4A.

Last edited by VA561; 03-12-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM
TheUniversalDave1

In my SC500 table model set, one dead electrolytic in the remote chassis killed all the remote functions. I don't know how it is on those, but you may consider checking the caps.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA561 View Post
I tried to use the remote about an hour ago and nothing. No buttons worked. Tried it again a few minutes ago and the same buttons that worked before worked again. Why would it stop working all of a sudden and then start working again? Sams wants an additional $22 for the remote chassis photofact, 705-4A.
PM me your email if you need a copy of 705-4a. It's four pages.
Ed
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the remote chassis uses tubes, they could be pretty weak by now. Remember that they would have stayed on 24/7.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Tinker

Bryan, His remote is mechanical, uses 4 ultrasonic chimes. Range seems to be 36-42 Khz.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Bryan, His remote is mechanical, uses 4 ultrasonic chimes. Range seems to be 36-42 Khz.
But the remote receiver chassis would have to either have tubes or transistors. I remember having a Zenith that used, I think, 2 tubes and they were pretty dead. By '64 they might have gone solid state for that subchassis?