Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy my roundies are frequently needing more repairs

It seems that I'm always fussing with these old color sets. They look great while they work, but new problems frequently appear. Are any of you other guys here using roundies on a regular basis finding this. Were they like this when new?

My Philco combo now has this problem where if you turn the brightness or contrast below a certain point, the picture starts flickering. It sort of looks like those hum bars you get from leaky filter caps, except going much, much faster up and down the screen. If I leave the set on for about 30 minutes or so it only happens when I turn the brightness almost all the way down. It also has that problem with ghosting I discussed earlier in it's thread.

The CTC-10 is very susceptible to interference which appears on ch 2,3,4. I can sometimes notice it on other sets, but it comes up way more on the ctc-10 (my computer monitor is a large source of this, and so is any dvd player I use - but there must be something else because I can never completely be rid of it). I replaced the missing shielding over the video IF board, but that didn't fix it. The tint control has also become largely ineffective, which actually isn't that bad, because the tint is stuck about where it should be.

And the Zenith has this problem I talked about in it's thread with jumping in and out of focus.

I'd like to be able to fire up all 3 roundies and get a perfect picture while I still have good old NTSC analog tv coming from my antenna, but the sets seem to have other ideas.

Last edited by Adam; 05-15-2009 at 10:13 AM.