Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ctc-12

this is the nice looking CTC-12 I picked up in Jax. It was extremely clean, clearly a non smoker and a inside set its whole life. Very plain jane faux wood single speaker, VHF only set. the faux wood is mint. When I got it I oped up the fly cage, to be rewarded with NO fly, just cut out with little care. the original plan was to take a working CTC-15 with a ruff cabinet and just swap the chassis, but the way the vert out is mounted in the 15 would not let it fit inside the 12 cabinet (I suppose I could swap out the degauss holder which I think is the only thing messing it up, but I figured I may as well get the 12 running as I like those chassis better).

I was also missing the focus coil, focus cap, and the 47meg load resistor (I had a 66 meg but decided I may as well use the correct parts). I had a correct coil but not the 130pf and 47meg 1 watt, found them at talon, so they are on the way. I prob could have rigged up some caps (I had 39pf 6kv) in p but I hate doing hack work.

I spent some time observing how a 12 is connected to the focus coil/yoke/damper, so I have a pretty good idea of how its supposed to go.

The chassis looks pretty unmolested, so I will do a slow power up montitoring the B+ volt/current and the HOT current when I get the fly back together.

The only repair I could see was where one of the jumper wires that normally runs on the top of the chroma board was missing, but found it installed on the bottom of the pcb. These wires frequently corrode and break resulting in a hue on the screen like one of the screen drives is turned all the way up. I may install it correctly if I need to do any cap replacement, which is typical on the difference amp grid coupling caps that get lossy from the heat.

there are a couple of the white ceramic tube caps I will cut the AC bypass cap out so it does not explode on me, will leave the others alone for now. I cant really test them as my cap tester does not go up that high, but I have left them alone in some sets and they are fine (not the ac bypass but the ones on the audio out and vert out primaries.

I tested the CRT by sticking in a working CTC-16 chassis just to see how the CRT looked, it tested not so good but is seemed to make a pretty good pic so maybe my tester is not so good. The best test for a CRT is in use anyway.

I had to splice on some wire to the focus and the red yoke lead, as it had been cut short by the hack tech that removed the fly. I was careful to make a neat splice and then slipped 3 layers of heat shrink over the spice.

the boost and damper connections were also cut short, but I will just replace the full length there as there are no connectors/sockets involved. I need to splice the bottom coil as the wire from the fly is connected under the covering (not a tab to solder too) and of course that wire was cut short as well.

Lastly there is a wire that comes from the sweep board that connects to where the focus load resistor should be grounded. I never noticed this on any other RCA sets, earlier sets had pots (no coil) and later sets used a boost diode to supply voltage for the vert sweep. Another reason to use the correct resistor (47 meg) I suppose.

I really like this set for its size, its not any bigger than a metal cabinet, and the CRT looks like a bonded face with NO cat, imagine that.

Last edited by DaveWM; 11-05-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Pictures?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture later, working on fixing now.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Kind of a bizarre post. Next are we going to hear your tiolet bugs voted for the xbox 360 because it promised to buy them a new tv stand that will keep them warm?

Anyhow, you took plenty of those caps, focus pots and resistors home when we cleaned that place up. if you used them Im sure I have more around here I can send you.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I could not find any of those in my stash, I did have some 66megs but none of the 47meg. I got them pretty cheap at talon, should be here soon. I know its a long post, just sharing observations on the set chassis. One other thing i noted was it used the crystal in a tube for the burst crystal. Its just nice having a set from a smoke free enviroment for a change.

Last edited by DaveWM; 11-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

it is nice to get a set from someone that didnt smoke it is disgusting. i have a 66 motorola and it still smells like smoke as its burned in on every component. this motorola must have had someone sit for hours with it on with a cloud of smoke around it. i smoke but only outside and not in the house but i can go to someones house and smell it. you would think this would get me to quit,lol...
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Menthol 100s extra tar full flavor non filter ultra slim alive with pleasure flavor country.
Lick the flyback and anode cap for best results.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

LOL! Now thats funny! My kind of humour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Menthol 100s extra tar full flavor non filter ultra slim alive with pleasure flavor country.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
I have a 66 motorola and it still smells like smoke as its burned in on every component.
Sure that isn't from all the cigarette commercials they aired back in the day?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
LOL,LOL YUK..... lmfao
Audiokarma
Old 11-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wish ANYBODY who smokes could have a talk w/my mom...Oh, that's right, they CAN'T, she died in Aug 208 from Emphysema & COPD...She was born in 1925, started smoking when she was about 15, smoked like a chimney till '77, when she got hypnotised..But it was too late, she started showing signs of COPD about 15 yrs later.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I wish ANYBODY who smokes could have a talk w/my mom...Oh, that's right, they CAN'T, she died in Aug 208 from Emphysema & COPD...She was born in 1925, started smoking when she was about 15, smoked like a chimney till '77, when she got hypnotised..But it was too late, she started showing signs of COPD about 15 yrs later.
yes your right, it is a bad habit thats hard to kick.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Look at the vice that has replaced smoking with the youth, wireless devices. I would bet that 20 years down the line all these kids that have that thing pressed against their head for hours every day will have some form of cancer.

77 is a good age, most of us will never make it that far even if we take care of ourselves.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 AM
60s Throwback

Lick the flyback! That will get you to quit!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

i quit 3 1/2 years ago it f$$k*ig stinks. went to an estate sale saturday the furniture in the yard you could smell nicotine everywhere. 3 recliners sold for $5.00 combined. nuff said
Audiokarma