Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2023, 01:47 PM
M is for Memory

Advice on adding electric start to a 1968 Johnson FD-22A.

So my parents and I own a small late 60s bass boat that appears to once have had an electrical system and electric starting but the electronics were mostly stripped out at some point.
The folks are getting a little old for the pull cord, and the pawl on the cord recently failed so I'd like to use the pull cord less to make it last longer.
Doing my research, according to the Seloc repair manual only the 35HP and up motors had an electric start, but the engine has a toothed flywheel and appears to have room for a starter motor. An internet search reveals that other FD family models had electric start as did a later version of my engine with increased HP, and there's threads explaining that all that is needed is a starter motor and possibly a bracket, but no part numbers. Does anyone know the motor and bracket part numbers I need to order for this?

(The battery solenoid etc I can figure out myself from what I know about electronics and cars). The boat is configured to pilot using the handle on the motor so I don't need to worry about remote choke or magneto kill switch (minimum throttle stalls it quite well).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 05-30-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bit of a late answer but a starter and bracket off any 22 C.I. 18/20/25 horse Johnson/Evinrude motor from '57 thru the mid to late 70's will bolt right on. Some of the later ones mounted the solenoid on the starter bracket but the solenoid can actually be mounted anywhere there is room. One word of caution though. Marine solenoids are slightly different internally the way they are wired compared to automotive solenoids. A Ford four pin style can be used but the lead coming from the second small terminal will have to go to ground, not to the coil as original. On a marine solenoid, this lead would go to the neutral safety switch.

OMC offered aftermarket starter kits for these motors and the original P/N was 378461 for the complete kit. If I dig deep into my files, I'm sure I could find P/N's for starter and bracket.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Bit of a late answer but a starter and bracket off any 22 C.I. 18/20/25 horse Johnson/Evinrude motor from '57 thru the mid to late 70's will bolt right on. Some of the later ones mounted the solenoid on the starter bracket but the solenoid can actually be mounted anywhere there is room. One word of caution though. Marine solenoids are slightly different internally the way they are wired compared to automotive solenoids. A Ford four pin style can be used but the lead coming from the second small terminal will have to go to ground, not to the coil as original. On a marine solenoid, this lead would go to the neutral safety switch.

OMC offered aftermarket starter kits for these motors and the original P/N was 378461 for the complete kit. If I dig deep into my files, I'm sure I could find P/N's for starter and bracket.
Thanks. I eventually did a ton of research and found the part numbers, then realized that despite the motor being a $50 part the bracket is a $250 part (you'd think it would be the other way around)...$300 is too much for the luxury of electric start.
I haven't seen one sold with a solenoid and plan to use a spare automotive solenoid I've got if I can ever find a bracket cheap enough... Might be a good time to restart the search since demand should be low in winter.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4