Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Banned

Late 1950s Zenith Deluxe Roayal 500 Radio

Hello everyone, today I found at the local antique shop a late 1950s Zenith Deluxe Royal 500 8 Transistor Radio for $5 and some change and it was being sold "as is" (the Zenith label at the top of the radio is coming off presumably from water damage) so when I got it home stuck some new "AA" batteries in it and turned it on and sure enough the radio came to life and was picking up stations all over the dial including an oldies station from Cassopolis, Michigan and WBBM from Chicago, WOWO AM 1190 from Ft. Wayne, Indiana and some other stations that I wasn't sure about where they were from, but anyways I was just kind of surprised at how good this radio sounded for it being just a simple AM Only Transistor Radio from the late 1950s, it gets really loud!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2552.jpg (63.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 08-29-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zeniths transistor radios were the best back then. They will perform well today if the electrolytics aren't bad.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Zeniths transistor radios were the best back then. They will perform well today if the electrolytics aren't bad.
well the one I have seems to still work pretty decently (I haven't touched any of the capacitors or transistors inside the radio) it was picking up stations from well over 100 miles away from me so that just tells you how good this thing is quality wise compared to your POS units you have now a days.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM
M is for Memory

Try it at night, you'll be amazed at what it can do.

Most modern radios suck, here is two examples. A friend goes to some local auto races with some folks he knows that have a 60's-70's IIRC Airline multiband radio a cheap Japanese made off brand of the day. There is a low power FM station at the track that has info etc. which they listen to on the airline. Someone brought a new boom box that could not tune that station a few yards from it's transmitting antenna!

Another example: Recently some oldies stations cropped up on the AM band near me, my friend has a newer Honda and his car radio picks it up, but the sound quality of the music is SO bad fidelity wise that it is like listening to it through an old phone line. We later were in my '78 Lincoln and tuned the same station and the audio sounded so good that we though we were listening to FM for a while.

Once top AM 40 stations and AM stereo were dead most radio manufactures stopped bothering to make the AM sections of most receivers worth the parts they are made of.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Most modern radios suck, here is two examples. A friend goes to some local auto races with some folks he knows that have a 60's-70's IIRC Airline multiband radio a cheap Japanese made off brand of the day. There is a low power FM station at the track that has info etc. which they listen to on the airline. Someone brought a new boom box that could not tune that station a few yards from it's transmitting antenna!

Another example: Recently some oldies stations cropped up on the AM band near me, my friend has a newer Honda and his car radio picks it up, but the sound quality of the music is SO bad fidelity wise that it is like listening to it through an old phone line. We later were in my '78 Lincoln and tuned the same station and the audio sounded so good that we though we were listening to FM for a while.

Once top AM 40 stations and AM stereo were dead most radio manufactures stopped bothering to make the AM sections of most receivers worth the parts they are made of.
i know, there was an oldies station on the AM band near me up in Michigan and it came in really well and sounded awesome on this radio. This thing sounds about as good as some of my old tube radios I have.
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2015, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Is that the station, that's broadcasting on 1290AM and 100.3FM. Even when I get to Milwaukee, the FM is a little hard to get in some areas.
The original format was, what they referred as "Party Music" which was nasty noisy disco and very few decent tunes from that era.
You gotta love "Arbitron".
Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 PM
M is for Memory

I don't know of an FM mirror of it. There are 2-3 AM music stations I can get, and 1-2 are 50's-60's music.

I'll have to look for that Disco station. I just finished recording a 2hour Disco 8-Track mix-tape for my car, and I easily could make another 1-2 of them for the songs I could not fit....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You fellers need to invest in a Zenith Trans-Oceanic...Or 2. You get one, most people ain't satisfied w/just one, be it a Tube or Soiled-State-either version. Zenith KNEW how to make a good radio, & the T/O was sort of their "Brag Piece". But oncet you get into Angel Modulation in a BIG way, yr ONLY recourse will be an R-390A. Winter DX season will be here before you know it, but PLENTY of time to score an R-390A, set up an Antenna, & get All Set for an exciting DX season..
Old 08-29-2015, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I don't know of an FM mirror of it. There are 2-3 AM music stations I can get, and 1-2 are 50's-60's music.
The translator of WTZI on 100.3 is only 99 Watts, and does not have a huge coverage area:

http://binged.it/1LKqUWF

jr
Old 08-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
You fellers need to invest in a Zenith Trans-Oceanic...Or 2. You get one, most people ain't satisfied w/just one, be it a Tube or Soiled-State-either version. Zenith KNEW how to make a good radio, & the T/O was sort of their "Brag Piece". But oncet you get into Angel Modulation in a BIG way, yr ONLY recourse will be an R-390A. Winter DX season will be here before you know it, but PLENTY of time to score an R-390A, set up an Antenna, & get All Set for an exciting DX season..
I went to church with a friend that had a 1950s Zenith Transoceanic radio that had the really weird radioactive tubes in it (the 1U4 and the 1U5 tubes if I recall correctly and I actually serviced it for the guy because he was having issues with it not getting stations in.) Anyways I would love to find an original 1950s Zenith Transoceanic Radio but whenever I see one on everyones favorite auction site they are usually going for over $200 or more and I don't have that kind of money laying around to sink into a multiband radio like that.

Interestingly enough these old Royal 500s definitely have a very respectable tuner in them they actually have an RF Stage in them which is rather unusual for a portable transistor radio, which I think is part of the reason why they have such good reception quality and sound quality for a transistor radio, listening to it you would think you were listening to a tube radio from the time period.

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-11-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have ANOTHER theory on these-This was right at the beginning of "Soiled-State", they hadn't had time to figure out how to cut corners, make 'em "Cheap & Nasty" just yet..
Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I went to church with a friend that had a 1950s Zenith Transoceanic radio that had the really weird radioactive tubes in it (the 1V4 and the 1V5 tubes if I recall correctly
Huh? The 1V4 is not listed in my tube manual and the 1V5 is listed a subminiature type, which was not used in any Transoceanic. I have 4 different models of the TA, spanning from very early models to the end of the TA era...NONE of the tubes are radioactive.

jr
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Prolly 1U4 and 1U5.
If one of 'em pops the filament, then they all go out since they're in series. Then the radio ain't active anymore.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Prolly 1U4 and 1U5.
If one of 'em pops the filament, then they all go out since they're in series. Then the radio ain't active anymore.

yes the 1U4 and 1U5 that's what I meant, which i had read somewhere online that they were radioactive tubes.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Huh? The 1V4 is not listed in my tube manual and the 1V5 is listed a subminiature type, which was not used in any Transoceanic. I have 4 different models of the TA, spanning from very early models to the end of the TA era...NONE of the tubes are radioactive.

jr
I meant the 1U4 and the 1U5 and I had read online somewhere that they were Radioactive tubes.
Audiokarma