Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That's the same model as the piece of junk I just obtained.
Indeed! I hoped that I had found the exact model that you were testing on Amazon.

Question... Have you measured the tracking weight of this piece o crap? Bad sound, poor speed regulation and poor construction *might* be excused in something this cheap, but if it ruins records, it should not be sold, IMHO.

jr
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

My daughter is getting into records, so I gave her some of my duplicates and stuff I'm not into. I knew she had one of those Crosley combos and asked her what she was going to use to play them. She said the Crosley. I decided to give her a Pioneer turntable, Pioneer receiver and some 10" floor speakers and told her to use the Crosley for cd's.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

My new "anti-crosley" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKSVzjlrm0
Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM
electronics packrat

Good video
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
My daughter is getting into records, so I gave her some of my duplicates and stuff I'm not into. I knew she had one of those Crosley combos and asked her what she was going to use to play them. She said the Crosley. I decided to give her a Pioneer turntable, Pioneer receiver and some 10" floor speakers and told her to use the Crosley for cd's.
Might I suggest removing the turntable from the crapley just in case?
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think I've mentioned numerous times how hard it is to sell vintage items around here, even if they have been restored. Not that I'm planning on selling it; but, I could advertise the Newcomb in the video for $40 and it would sit here until hades froze over. Around here, most want late model stuff and the presence of a big LCD screen and the ability to text is also a big plus.

So, I advertised the Crosley for $40 on one of the local facebook for sale pages and within 30 minutes, someone claimed it and we made the exchange this afternoon. The buyer is in his mid 20's and is a teacher. He said he wanted something to play records in his classroom. I asked if his school had any old Califone players left and he said those were all gone.

Hopefully, I won't hear anymore out of him; but, I'd give him his money back if he calls to say it does not work in a reasonable length of time.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
So, I advertised the Crosley for $40 on one of the local facebook for sale pages and within 30 minutes, someone claimed it and we made the exchange this afternoon. The buyer is in his mid 20's and is a teacher. He said he wanted something to play records in his classroom. I asked if his school had any old Califone players left and he said those were all gone.
Well, you can count on the stupidity of the general public to flip stuff like this. It also goes to show that having a lot of formal education doesn't necessarily mean someone is smart. Time to think outside the chinese plastic box people!

Last edited by Jon A.; 02-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have thought about buying
One of the vestax portables, they look half
Way decent
Old 02-21-2014, 11:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
Might I suggest removing the turntable from the crapley just in case?
Why on earth would I want to do that? She's 37 years old, married and living in California.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler View Post
Why on earth would I want to do that? She's 37 years old, married and living in California.
No need to get nasty. I just got the idea she might be a teen and would want to try the crapley out of curiosity.
Audiokarma
Old 02-21-2014, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
No need to get nasty. I just got the idea she might be a teen and would want to try the crapley out of curiosity.
I wasn't getting nasty. It's just that she might try to kick the crapley out of me if I start taking her things apart.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sold one of those Crosley "all in one entertainment centers" yesterday to a couple of military guys for $30. The one guy said his wife was starting to collect records and wanted a turntable to play them with, but he nor his buddy seemed to have ever seen a turntable playing a record before. They seemed impressed with the sound (!) but I guess if you're one of the younger generation and have spent your whole life listening to music through earbuds, even the crappy 4" Crosley speakers in a wood box might sound better than earbuds. My aunt was giving me one of those Crosley retro radio/combo units every Christmas for the last decade or so, and I'm slowly selling them off thru Craig's List. It just hurts me to think of the money she originally paid for this particleboard junk.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

My wife's uncle told her he wanted to get me one of those for Christmas from some monthly-payment catalog like Fingerhut. She's been around me long enough and has undoubtedly overheard about 1200 conversations Radiotvnut and I have had on the subject, so she mentioned it to me. Thankfully he hadn't ordered it yet and she talked him out of it.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
I sold one of those Crosley "all in one entertainment centers" yesterday to a couple of military guys for $30. The one guy said his wife was starting to collect records and wanted a turntable to play them with, but he nor his buddy seemed to have ever seen a turntable playing a record before. They seemed impressed with the sound (!) but I guess if you're one of the younger generation and have spent your whole life listening to music through earbuds, even the crappy 4" Crosley speakers in a wood box might sound better than earbuds. My aunt was giving me one of those Crosley retro radio/combo units every Christmas for the last decade or so, and I'm slowly selling them off thru Craig's List. It just hurts me to think of the money she originally paid for this particleboard junk.
It seems funny that she would give you the same gift every year, for several years running. Doesn't she remember what she gave you the previous year.
BTW, I saw a higher-end unit the other day. A Detrola!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
It seems funny that she would give you the same gift every year, for several years running. Doesn't she remember what she gave you the previous year.
BTW, I saw a higher-end unit the other day. A Detrola!
She gives me a different model every year. Crosley builds dozens of variants on the same theme. I have one which is a copy of the '30's Spartan Bluebird radio, one with radio and CD player only, a couple that look like miniature jukeboxes, the radio/CD/tape/turntable in a retro wood case I just sold, a cathedral "Philco" lookalike, a "tombstone" AM/FM, a Belmont pushbutton reproduction, and a bakelite all-in-one with remote control. I finally got her off the Crosley kick, now she's on a different gift theme that's probably even more useless to me.
Audiokarma