Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tv alignment equipment

This topic comes up from time to time, I thought it might be a good way to start up this new forum. So what do you all like to use?

This is my set-up I picked up when I finally decided to try video IF alignment last summer:
RCA WR-59B sweep generator, WR-39C "television calibrator" marker generator, WR-70A marker-adder, and WR-49A signal generator. With a Tek 545A scope, and hp 5245L counter.

The major upside of this old RCA stuff is that it does both the old 21mc IF, and new 41mc IF. With the marker-adder you inject the markers after the sweep signal is demodulated in the tv, before the scope vertical input, as well as adjust marker shape, which makes for a much cleaner looking curve on the scope. The extra signal generator hooked to the marker generator allows me to get 2 markers at once. The downside of this RCA stuff is that you need 4 units, + the scope, the frequency counter, and a separate bias supply, to make the whole thing work.

But it seems most of the sets that I've had that need alignment are the old 21mc IF sets, so I couldn't really see getting newer equipment that couldn't work at those frequencies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca.jpg (68.2 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 04:41 PM
RCA 741PCS

Very cool setup. Perhaps a WR-69A would simplify your setup a little bit with it's built in bias supplies.

I was going to go the RCA route too, but fate landed some other gear in may lap instead.

Currently, I'm using a Hickok 615 sweep/marker generator, Kikusui 1120 frequency counter and an HP54600B scope. I also have a TVG-2 which has some issues but does look pretty cool I think

Most recently, I picked up an EICO 369 I'm currently restoring. It a more modern and compact design the the 615. I'm really curious to see how it's post marker-injection and built-in demodulator technique works.

Last edited by bandersen; 05-18-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Not sure how I got here.

WoW you guys got cool toys......... Can I come over and play at your house....

Actually I was wondering what a lot of you guys are using on the way of IF alignment. I imagine after changinh all the caps in a set alignment is a must, and since I got two candidates for all caps to be replaced I knew I was going to have to start looking at alignment tools so I'm happy to see you all posting your cool toys! !

I'm going to make a work table as well. It looks like a lot of the alignment toys take up quite a bit of space. I know they all don't need to be out all the time, looks like you all have limited space on the bench?!?!?

Besides If I leave my tools out, the squirrels will chew off the knobs. Ind I'de never be able to keep up with fixing the probe wires.

If I had my choice though, I would want a setup like the power consumption room on Forbidden Planet where the entire wall had meters and junk like that.

Thanks for all of you who continue to post your toys, model numbers, and special features of each.

Last edited by Username1; 05-19-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
WoW you guys got cool toys......... Can I come over and play at your house....

Actually I was wondering what a lot of you guys are using on the way of IF alignment. I imagine after changinh all the caps in a set alignment is a must, and since I got two candidates for all caps to be replaced I knew I was going to have to start looking at alignment tools so I'm happy to see you all posting your cool toys! !

I'm going to make a work table as well. It looks like a lot of the alignment toys take up quite a bit of space. I know they all don't need to be out all the time, looks like you all have limited space on the bench?!?!?

Besides If I leave my tools out, the squirrels will chew off the knobs. Ind I'de never be able to keep up with fixing the probe wires.

If I had my choice though, I would want a setup like the power consumption room on Forbidden Planet where the entire wall had meters and junk like that.

Thanks for all of you who continue to post your toys, model numbers, and special features of each.

LOL - I just took all 3 out just for the photo op. Normally, I just have the 615 up on the shelf. I've been lucky so far and never had to align the RF and video IF stages in a set - only the audio. I think if you avoid touching the RF/IF coils or small valued mica/ceramic caps you won't need an alignment.

I have a Hallicrafters 506 up on the bench right now. I think I'll try out the EICO just to see what kind of response curve it produces.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe I've been lucky (or I'm not that fussy), but of the two dozen or so TVs that I've restored, only one seemed to need alignment. I took it to a guy whose shop is a place of wonder. Laid off from another job, now he refurbishes scopes and other test equipment whose purpose I barely grasp.

TV alignment is still on my list of things to learn after I grow up. I finally got a decent scope (from said guy), which is a start. I inherited a B&K 415 sweep/marker generator last year, but it only does 40MHz+, so I should trade it for something that can do older sets.

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 PM
RCA 741PCS

Gernsback put out a book called "Sweep and Marker Generators for Television and Radio" back in 1955 that's a good read on the subject. Here's a quote
"The reader should understand that if he applies himself energetically, that he can become something of an expert in visual-alignment procedures after approximately two years of study and practice"
Old 05-19-2010, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Marcus book for TV servicemen begins the alignment chapter with this warning.

"Do not attempt realignment until you are sure that there is no other reason for the observed defect."

That's followed by examples of specific conditions that might justify realignment. Nowhere do they mention a condition like, "I think maybe I can make it better."

Phil
Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Not sure how I got here.

When I was a kid and regularly picked up tvs that people would gently throw out to be picked up in front of your house by the town for FREE without complaint; A few times I took a set that I was not going to keep or sell, and turn all the very small turnie things that needed a special tool to get into. So I can tell you that first hand the kind of things that need an alignment. When the sound has any kind of hum, buzz, or in some other way seems to sound like a radio not quite on the station. And if the video seems to be smeared on the screen and you can't get it so clear that it looks like its got little lines that make up the picture that run vertical as well as the scanning lines horizontal. Then it needs alignment. Our instructor at BOCES back in the late 70's would turn the fine tuning knob just before the screen let go of sync and any smearing of the screen went away and all the lettering got real crisp, he said "now you're done" if he couldn't get that your set wasn't fixed. And if you turn the little turnie things inside the little square skyscrapers then you will never get that perfect sharp screen...... "Do it again!" he would say......

And he was a perfectionist, the midterm of our first year was to draw without mistake the schematic of a 5 tube radio. And we all could do it, and know the voltages on the tube pins. So tv alignment was nothing. Convergence was only gone over for a few days, the real McCoy was that big flat 60 pound metal thing with the little square metal skyscrapers and glass things with the fire inside.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's my Alignment bench. For 21 MHz IF, I use an Eico 369 to which I've added a front-panel jack which performs double duty as an External Marker input or as a Marker Output to my Elenco 9500 (Marker Generator / Frequency Counter combo unit), connected to a LabVolt 10 MHz scope with a 5" CRT. For bias supplies, I fire up the B&K 415 to use its built-in supplies. For 41 MHz IF work, I use the B&K 415 (crystal-controlled markers, no need for a Counter except during annual Calibration check-ups) and B&K 5 MHz scope with 3" CRT. Everything is pre-wired on the bench for maximum efficiency. The Tektronix 547 is my main scope (DC to 50 MHz) for waveform analysis, but I also have a Tektronix 475A (DC to 250 MHz) on the shelf for applications requiring an extremely wideband instrument. The Ext. Mkr. jack was standard on the Eico 368 (which didn't use post-marker injection), but Eico didn't include the Ext. Mkr. jack on the 369 with its post-marker circuitry. Both Eico units achieve their Sweep function by applying a 60 Hz sinewave to the control winding of a saturable reactor, thus varying the inductance in the Sweep oscillator circuit at a 60 Hz rate and proportional to the amplitude of the 60 Hz sweep waveform. With the Sweep Width control set to minimum, a small DC bias current through the control winding establishes a fixed inductance approximately centered between the maximum and minimum values which occur at the corresponding peaks of each cycle of the control waveform at maximum Sweep Width control setting. The saturable reactor method produces Sweep without any wear-prone moving parts, unlike other generators such as the Precision E-400, Philco 7008, Hickok 610, etc. which use a mechanical device resembling a small loudspeaker to vary reactance in their Sweep oscillator circuits by mechanically flexing one of the inductive or capacitive elements of its tuned circuit to vary the output frequency above and below the center frequency determined by the dial setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4567s.jpg (78.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
RCA 741PCS

Nice setup I'd recognize that Admiral chassis anywhere - I recently restored two of them.

I never did get very good sound levels out of them though. I tried aligning the sound in both using a Hickok 615 which helped a little. I plan on trying again with an EICO 369 soon.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Nice setup I'd recognize that Admiral chassis anywhere - I recently restored two of them.

I never did get very good sound levels out of them though. I tried aligning the sound in both using a Hickok 615 which helped a little. I plan on trying again with an EICO 369 soon.
First, open that First Sound IF transformer can and inpect the 30pF mica capacitor hidden inside. Odds are it's in pretty bad shape and seriously reducing the gain of the IF. They used a "naked" mica cap inside there, no plastic housing or epoxy dip to protect it.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that. I notice there's a 35pF in the second IF can. I guess I should check that too ?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Thanks, I'll be sure to check that. I notice there's a 35pF in the second IF can. I guess I should check that too ?
Yes, that would be a good idea. I don't remember whether that one is of the same construction as the 30pF in the first can since different parts of this Restoration were worked by me and Big Dave. We've had some shipping damage incidents lately which have forced me to spend more time than usual on Administrative work to make certain that the shipping Insurance claims get handled properly. I find that I have to be ultra thorough so that every attempt by the shipper to weasel out of paying is quickly shot down in flames.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help! Can anyone provide a scan of the schematic for the Philco 7008? I am in the process of restoring mine, and have a loose wire I need to find where it goes. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, here is the schematic page as a jpeg. A.G. Tannenbaum has the full 52-page Manual available in a 5MB pdf file (there are excellent Applications and Troubleshooting sections along with a very detailed Tutorial on Dial Interpolation) and it is well worth their price. PM me for more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philco70108Schematic.jpg (94.2 KB, 37 views)
Audiokarma