Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 AM
M is for Memory

Yeah, I gotta post that want ad for those coils tomorrow....It's a shame they got snapped and the CRT face got chipped. I assume the cataract removal went badly since the serial number of the tube I have matches the chassis, the as found pictures show a bonded cataract, and the tube came with a separate non-bonded type safety glass (a replacement for a destroyed original I presume).......... I sincerely hope that Silvertone gets better treatment than this CTC-20 has seen since you found it...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post

You gave me the CTC20...so I gave it ...

I was not the actual soul who picked up the CTC20 off the street; the guy who did gave it to me!

This could be the most re-gifted roundie in history!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
I was not the actual soul who picked up the CTC20 off the street; the guy who did gave it to me!

This could be the most re-gifted roundie in history!
Regifted Roundies, what a concept aka RoundieKarma in action.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 PM
M is for Memory

Well I got the coils (all $10 of them) to replace the two ruined ones, and replaced the iffy caps (except for the cans), and the vertical is back to being good, but I'm having trouble getting the color to work.

The barber-poleing with the osc. out of sync is very weak, and with it in what I believe to be sync there is little basically no color. To make matters worse the current crop of tubes ESPECIALLY the 6GH8's in the stages giving me trouble were installed by me after I got the set (Arcanine pulled most of the tubes to try in his CTC-16) so I have another variable to worry about on top of the adjustments of those coils....

This set has been so re-gifted because somewhere along it's way here someone turned a decent roundy into a messed up piece of crap...

I hope I can find a way to sort this mess out...

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-08-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Well I got the coils (all $10 of them) to replace the two ruined ones, and replaced the iffy caps (except for the cans), and the vertical is back to being good, but I'm having trouble getting the color to work.

The barber-poleing with the osc. out of sync is very weak, and with it in what I believe to be sync there is little basically no color. To make matters worse the current crop of tubes ESPECIALLY the 6GH8's in the stages giving me trouble were installed by me after I got the set (Arcanine pulled most of the tubes to try in his CTC-16) so I have another variable to worry about on top of the adjustments of those coils....

This set has been so re-gifted because somewhere along it's way here someone turned a decent roundy into a messed up piece of crap...

I hope I can find a way to sort this mess out...
What about the color adjustment on the front? Did you mess with that to see if maybe it's cranked way off to not display in color? Maybe the pot it self is bad.
Audiokarma
Old 01-08-2016, 02:55 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
What about the color adjustment on the front? Did you mess with that to see if maybe it's cranked way off to not display in color? Maybe the pot it self is bad.
I checked that as a first step (heck I had to find and reattach the leads to it cause they were not attached when I got it), and was trying to follow all the signals with my scope....The problem turned out the be a cracked solder joint on a chroma transformer (not one of the replaced ones) which I found by pure dumb luck....It would appear it probably got caught in the same fuqup that ruined the 2 chroma transformers I had to replace.

It is working now (though it could use vertical adjustments, and a dynamic convergence). I took the time to test all the lytic cans and replace the bad sections....As well as replace/remove that dopey taped on/spliced in extra can.

As a final insult (above photo taken after that happened) after mounting the tuner/control sub chassis, and putting the chassis bolts in and back on, the tint control decided to become ineffective (can turn it from stop to stop and no change in tint)....One of the stranded wires of the coax lead to the pot probably broke off while I was mounting the tuner sub chassis...

I'm going to call it done for now, and go to sleep....I'm exhausted.

Dog RCA TVs won't let you find the problem until after you sufficiently insulted them.

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-08-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:44 AM
BigDavesTV

Looking good, Tom!
Old 01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Who referred to the set as "cute"?
The only "cute" set, I have is a "Bratz" TV DVD combination. I picked it up on trash day. The TV works well, but DVD not. Took it apart to see, whats with the DVD. Extremely nasty to work on. I'm giving it to a buddy, he wants it.
I dont know who made it. I doesn't look like a Funai product.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wonder if the person who put the "New Vista" set at the curb thought "If this set works like Microsoft Vista did, gotta throw it out"...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:57 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Wonder if the person who put the "New Vista" set at the curb thought "If this set works like Microsoft Vista did, gotta throw it out"...
Oh, yes it did. lol.

The tint issue was exactly what I thought it was (wire broke off the pot), I re-soldered it on, and replaced the blown dial light and it's back to working right.

Audiokarma
Old 01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh wow. That's really cool to see it's working again.

I was very disappointed to see that the neglectful situation it was stored in did so much damage to it. The set was given to me as parts but it is honestly nice to see it's being brought back to life.