Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm about had. Between clearing snow, a van that wouldn't start, and wind chills in the -20 range, I'm worn out. And at this point, I'm starting not to care what the house looks like, which is highly HIGHLY unusual for me.
When you mentioned a van that wouldn't start, I remembered that is the only vehicle you own, that isn't a Mopar.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Well no, I actually sold the '58 Plymouth back in September, and used the cash to put a new roof on the house. Wife has a 2006 Beetle, I also have a 2007 Cadillac DTS, neither of which are any good for hauling.

And the van? She's a 1985. Gotta give the old gal some leeway, y'know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0121141230.jpg (97.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-31-2014, 07:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Today's find at that sale was this Victor Electrola model VE10-69E. This one was made in 1928, and cost $850, which translates into $11,400 in today's dollars. Something that you didn't spend on a record player unless you were a captain of industry! Only 1,900 of this model were ever made.
Very nice my friend!!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
<----Zenith C845

That Electrola is an excellent find. As others have mentioned, it is quite rare (especially the changer, which probably had a very intricate and complicated mechanism [for the time]), so I'd say go ahead and try to get it working, even if it means using the original RCA amplifier and a '50s changer (Garrard or some other high-end brand, but good grief not a '70s BSR) for now. (I had a Zenith integrated stereo system years ago with a BSR changer, and had not one bit of trouble with it, but mine may have been a rare exception to the rule.)

The Electrola's cabinet looks good too, and made of real wood, no doubt--not the pressboard of which today's media stands, etc. are made.

That RCA amplifier looks like it may have been originally intended for use with a small sound-reinforcement system. For many years we had an Allied-Radio Shack (IIRC) amplifier, vintage 1950s or so, at the heart of the sound system in our church. That amplifier wasn't too terribly powerful, but it did the job until it was replaced some years later by a larger amplifier which I was in charge of setting up and taking down before and after Sunday services. Can't recall the brand, though.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM
electronics packrat

One reason for the rarity of those changers is that they were made with pot metal parts which deteriorated rendering them inoperable, so many were junked. Also, the WW2 scrap metal drives took their toll on these and many other such machines.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Peanut Head

Just thought I'd add this...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well no, I actually sold the '58 Plymouth back in September, and used the cash to put a new roof on the house. Wife has a 2006 Beetle, I also have a 2007 Cadillac DTS, neither of which are any good for hauling.

And the van? She's a 1985. Gotta give the old gal some leeway, y'know
It dawned on me, after I posted the message.
I mistook you for Carmine.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 AM
Administrator

I met Carmine many years ago. He's better lookin and has a full head of hair
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Administrator

This is what I've come up with so far. I've temporarily "robbed" the turntable out of my Crosley 10" combo, which appears for all intents and purposes, to have never been used. Not ideal, but I might be able to make it look nice . I intend to make a board out of the same wood, and bolt it down over the existing cutout, using the existing holes to secure it.

Problem is that there are two belts on the turntable for the changer mechanism that I need to get. They are roughly 2 1/4" circumference, and 1/4" wide. About the size of a #61 rubber band.

Anyone know where I can get them? I hate to just use stupid rubber bands on this thing. There are no markings on the turntable to identify the manufacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3681.jpg (90.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3682.jpg (83.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Try www.turntablebelts.com
I have used them before, they let you order belts by length and width as well as make And model

Last edited by maxhifi; 02-06-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Hm, maybe their part number FBS2.3 will work. Thanks for the link
Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Hm, maybe their part number FBS2.3 will work. Thanks for the link
Just remember to go with a size shorter than the measurement so the belt has enough tension to not slip under load.. If you're not sure order a couple sizes. Also get a can of rubber renue (mg chemicals) for that idler if you don't already have --- I swab it on with a q tip until the q tip stops getting
Black, it really helps. The centre platter bearing
Can be removed and degreased with isopropyl alcohol and then packed with cAr
Wheel bearing grease and a couple drops of 3 in one oil (that's my secret formula to make
It run super quiet, I read it online years ago )
Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Well, here's where I'm at

RCA amp has been restored and is now back in place. I have to pick up a new 5Z3 though or resolder the pins, as there's a loose or broken wire in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQX9p...ature=youtu.be

The FBS2.3 belts ended up being too big, so for the time being I used heat shrink wrap, and shrunk it right around the capstans. It works *okay*, but slips a little on startup.

I replaced a dead wire on the phono cart, and still nothing. It's an Astatic LT-3 cart, have to see if I can find something that will work in there.....or find a good one.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow. I just noticed this. A brilliant find.

I have seen the original amplifier on ebay. And the speaker I believe was probably the model 106 which pops up now and then.

The challenge will be finding the original changer. I believe was the second Victor changer like the one in a Victor 10-35 but with an electrical horseshoe pickup. I believe it would have looked like this on on You tube but they are so rare i have never seen one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkHxXL4jebE
Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

you could always restore it "as remodeled" with a changer or single play player about the same vintage as the amp and speaker, or a 50's garrard wouldn't look too out of place. Then keep an eye out for a victor unit of similar vintage that might have the right amp and speaker, or changer.
Audiokarma