Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Administrator

A near disaster.

So I go into my work room to fetch my newish 21" Predicta CRT, pick it up and start to walk out with it when suddenly my foot (wearing Flip Flops, big mistake) snags a little Sony TV sitting on the floor, try as I might I can't regain my balance so I just hold on to the tube and hope for the best.

I tripped forward and downward, CRT clutched in the cradle of my arms as best I can, the front edge of the tube slams into the corner of the wall next to the closet door, I continue falling until I'm on my knees, wedged up by an old Magnavox console, the thick edge of the tube hits the wall, my chin hits the back of the tube, nothing happens, dodged the bullet on that one!

I was lucky, the CRT stayed in my arms, it hit on the thickest part of the tube, I didn't go all the way down, the wall is relatively soft even though it left a dent in the metal corner strip and smudged Navajo White on the edge of the tube!
My chin was unharmed though my neck feels a little whiplashed!

If it had imploded my chin would have been touching it at the time, not good.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Ouch!. Sounds like something I would do! LOL. Glad everything is OK.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

In the words of the late L.A. rock legend Arthur Lee, "You should have stayed in bed".

Hope you feel better soon!

Einar
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
In the words of the late L.A. rock legend Arthur Lee, "You should have stayed in bed".

Hope you feel better soon!

Einar
Funny thing, I was in bed (mostly) from last Thursday through Monday, with the Flu! Watched lots of Star Trek Enterprise.

Probably why I'm so restless to start a new project.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Glad you're OK. Moments like that will definitely shake you up for awhile. Time to clean up the workshop a little?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I am glad you were not hurt. One time in the 1970s, I tripped in a hallway while carrying a 19" B&W TV and fell on it with its screen facing me. Nothing but minor damage.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have been putting 85 tvs in storage because of my move from the east coast to the west. Most of the tvs are on racks in storage but I wanted to put a predicta pedestal in a tall box so I could stack things on top. Anyway I thought I had lifted the predicta above the box but the wooden feet hit the side of the box. The predicta hit face first with me on top of it on the cement. The plastic face is now in three pieces. I removed the plastic face and put the tv in the box with the pieces to the face. After I move I'll be looking for a new plastic face. I have a 21 in. tabletop with a good plastic face which I could cannabalize if I cann't find another.

Richard