Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2020, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation Questions on 1956 COLOR Raytheon C-21C1-M Television

Hello, I'm new here so I'll introduce myself. My name is Matthew Clark I'm 19 years old and I've been interested in vintage electronics since I was around 7 years old. The other day there was this Raytheon television on Facebook and I ended up getting it. I hear it's one of two still surviving. With the cabinet I'd like to use Restorer Finish to help hide some of the bad spots. Yesterday I carefully with two screwdrivers took the CRT socket off and tested it. The emissions are fantastic and the cut off is good. When the voltage is reduced to 4.5 volts it still tests good, but there might be an issue. At 6 volts no short, but at 6.3 volts the left shorts light is flashing(Not solid indicating a hard short). The exact same thing happens on a 1968 Zenith color set. With the Zenith I have a decent picture still despite the blinking short light. There's a couple links below of both sets. So my question is, could there be a problem with my tester or is the short so minimal that it will not make the CRT unusable? And can the heater voltage be slightly reduced in the set so it doesn't short if it's actually a short? And should I buy or borrow a known good crt tester. I'm in Kankakee County IL if anyone near me has a good CRT tester they'd let me use let me know. Thanks
LINKS:https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRXbcgr
Video of Zenith playing with possible short. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfC...l=MatthewClark

Last edited by TQGIBTNGO; 11-06-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to the forum!

As far as your tester and the sets. Things get old and don't work as they sometimes should. Since you are getting the same symptom on both of the CRTs. I would suspect the tester is showing its age. If the CRT doesn't snap, crackle or pop, press on.

You have a found a wealth of information here. Don't be shy in asking.

And have fun.

Phil

Last edited by reeferman; 11-05-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would agree with what reeferman is saying, most likely you have a tester issue. If you believe it gave accurate readings for the Zenith, I would run with the assumption that you have a good CRT and disregard the short light. Someone from Chicago may be able to help you with another tester.

This is the Early Television Museum’s database of surviving sets, yours is now the third of that model. Contact them and they will add yours.
https://www.earlytelevision.org/color_database.html

Congrats on the find.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have you looked inside your tester to see if there are any paper capacitors associated with the shorts test? if so, replace them. check to see if the resistors associated with the shorts test havent drifted WAY out of spec. that can all affect sensitivity of the shorts tests. also make sure the correct neon bulbs are installed for the shorts test
Old 11-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Damn does run fast…

Just a word of caution: Don't run the raytheon any more than you need to, until the paper wax capacitors have been replaced. You have a stupidly rare set. (I mean, they really don't get much rarer than this thing!). There's parts in there that simply can not be replaced if they fail. This set, in working contision, would be quite the sight.

(Guys - RCA's 'simplified' color chassis, based on the CTC 4?)

If the CRT is good, all the better. It deserves being cared for. Not many were sold.

Also, the CRT is metal, and the HV is 25kv. You don't want to get bit by it...
Audiokarma
Old 11-06-2020, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, I appreciate it reeferman!

Last edited by TQGIBTNGO; 11-06-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
Have you looked inside your tester to see if there are any paper capacitors associated with the shorts test? if so, replace them. check to see if the resistors associated with the shorts test havent drifted WAY out of spec. that can all affect sensitivity of the shorts tests. also make sure the correct neon bulbs are installed for the shorts test
I'll have to take a look. And I do have a couple old style capacitor leakage testers that should do the trick texting the caps. Thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 11:49 AM
M is for Memory

I have a B&K 466 tester that I'm very familiar using to test 21AXP22s (I have an example of every chassis RCA made that uses that CRT as well as Philco and Motorola sets that use it).

Would you be interested in selling or trading that set?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-06-2020, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post
Just a word of caution: Don't run the raytheon any more than you need to, until the paper wax capacitors have been replaced. You have a stupidly rare set. (I mean, they really don't get much rarer than this thing!). There's parts in there that simply can not be replaced if they fail. This set, in working contision, would be quite the sight.

If the CRT is good, all the better. It deserves being cared for. Not many were sold.

Thanks for the word of caution. Just so everyone knows this set will not be plugged in until a full electronic restoration is done. I understand the rarity and absolutely no chances will be taken. I'm going to get some experience with my other radios and tvs before I take on this project. I Plan on re-stuffing the old caps to maintain it's originality. Also I'm very meticulous with everything I do and this restoration will be no exception. Thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post

Oh, come on, WHY NOT!?

It's always lots of fun to get zapped by HV anode voltage, if I had $20 for each time it has happened to me, I would be able to pay off a good part of my house by now!
Audiokarma
Old 11-06-2020, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I have a B&K 466 tester that I'm very familiar using to test 21AXP22s (I have an example of every chassis RCA made that uses that CRT as well as Philco and Motorola sets that use it).

Would you be interested in selling or trading that set?
Thank you for the offer, but I do plan on keeping it. Thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post

Oh, come on, WHY NOT!?

It's always lots of fun to get zapped by HV anode voltage, if I had $20 for each time it has happened to me, I would be able to pay off a good part of my house by now!
Heck yeah, let's do it Shango style. LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6v...nnel=shango066
Love his content
Old 11-06-2020, 12:17 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQGIBTNGO View Post
Thanks for the word of caution. Just so everyone knows this set will not be plugged in until a full electronic restoration is done. I understand the rarity and absolutely no chances will be taken. I'm going to get some experience with my other radios and tvs before I take on this project. I Plan on re-stuffing the old caps to maintain it's originality. Also I'm very meticulous with everything I do and this restoration will be no exception. Thanks
Sounds like it's in good hands. We'll all be standing by for progress reports.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQGIBTNGO View Post
Thank you for the offer, but I do plan on keeping it. Thanks
Just saw this after sending you a private message with an offer.
If you change your mind or want to haggle for more, you know where to find me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-06-2020, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to the forum Matthew and congratulations on preserving this uncommon set. I see yours is mahogany, as is the one that I have. I understand that the other known one is blonde. It is fantastic that the CRT in yours seems to be good. I agree with the other responders that the testing issue is probably with the tester.

You mentioned 1958 but it is actually a 1956 set. There was a write up on it in the January, 1956 issue of Service Magazine beginning on page 13. The magazine is available here: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...ce-1956-01.pdf

Thanks for posting your find and please keep us abreast of your progress and feel free to ask any questions. Although my set has a good CRT, it is presently unrestored.