Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I will freely admit that Larry was a bit heated over the accusation of the restuffs being sold as new and I gotta admit if it was one of my favorite companies being accused of such I may get a bit heated myself . Bottom line is that we should ALL try to be polite to one another here , there are SO darned few of us who actually collect and care about old Vacuum tube electronics that ailenating anyone just reduces the participation rate here and as long as everyone's getting along the more the merrier .

So now I gotta ask , DOES "Hayseed Hamfest" restuff or do they sell 100% all new ? I do think it's a perfectly fair question since Brian thinks they're restuffs (and yes I agree with you Tom 100% that Brain is an asset to this board) and Larry thinks they're all new construction . Do you , or does anyone else , know for certain which it is ?

If they ARE all new then I'd say "sure , it's well worth the premium price" but if they are restuffs then Hell no , any one of us could restuff our own for far cheaper !
ElectronicM:
Granted I might have gotten a bit heated at Brian, but it was Old Navy Vet to Old Navy Vet. As a "Avionics Tech" and allegedly knowing about Co.'s that I don't, just makes me suspicious as to his knowledge. SWEARING??? I don't see any SWEARING, Getting one's "SH__ in one bag" is an old Navy term (probably not used in todays "Politically correct, pansy-A__ed" NAVY.) similar to getting your facts in line. I grew up when Dungaree Chiefs planted a boot in your a__ and jacked you up with words you wouldn't even know about, when you screwed up! Brian might have too. If you think it's offensive, it's OK by me, I could care less. I'm NOT P.C. and I doubt I will be anytime soon! Also if you feel it's offensive go ahead and call up a Moderator . I've seen worse diatribes on here along with full blown cursing with words that would make you and your mother blush.

init4fun:
I for a fact KNOW that Tom's caps are BRAND NEW NICHICON or PANASONIC's. I've pulled quite a few open, inspected them, closed them up and used them. The oldest quad are on a SANSUI 1000A that IN FACT DID HAVE 4 CAN CAPS PUKING ALL OVER THE UNIT! And I RE-CAPPED it in 2010, it runs 40 hours a week and is still on the tubes I installed then, even with the extreme heat that everyone has gas over (they obviously didn't grow up with tubes in the house!). These caps have shown NO SIGNS of STRESS and I expect them to last at least another 10-15 years at minimum!

The perimeter hold down clamp is NEW, the Phenolic disc is a multi part laminate which is resistant to carbon tracking. The caps are soldered to NEW thru connectors made of COPPER, and the caps are epoxied to the bases, which incidentally are of NEW MANUFACTURE and not drilled for lead insertion. Way back when he started to design the FISHER caps and contacted me about it. He had a question or two about some orientation problems with the connections. It was found that on most of the FISHER gear the orientation was indeed backwards from normal cap orientation due to the way the schematics are numbered. FISHER caps from top to bottom are generally clocked "ANTI CLOCKWISE" while everyone else is clocked "clockwise". And I've helped him with getting the FISHER kits he has online now correctly made. He also makes kits for other not so familiar units of the brand.

These caps are manufactured of ALL "NEW PARTS". There are NO RECYCLED, USED, or RE-MANUFACTURED PARTS. PERIOD! end of Arguement.

The only reason I don't have too many posts here is I'm TOO DAMNED BUSY on AK, (between FISHER, PIONEER and other Forums) and don't get over here too often. ElectronicM's assertion that I'm a NEWBIE is unfounded. Look at my Join Date and you'll find I joined in 2008. I don't have too much problems with TV's or video gear so I don't need to come over here often.

You can believe what you want ElectronicM, but I KNOW what I'm talking about here.

Stick yer arm out.....it won't hurt me a bit!!!

Last edited by larryderouin; 09-08-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryderouin View Post
Brian, I beg to differ strenuously with you about Hayseed! NOTHING, and I DO MEAN NOTHING he uses in the construction of his caps, is used, PERIOD! Hayseed is not a restuffer. Every single piece of their can-cap is brand-new, not "old made new". The guts are Nichicon or Chemi-con, their terminals are solid copper and soldered internally, their bottom disks are a wild-assed laminate that won't carbon-track, their lids are mirrored, the bodies are chromed...I'm an extremely satisfied customer, and buy my cans exclusively from him, (he'll make me odd-ball ones when I need something that 's not normally stocked,) but sometimes I have to stick up for Tom a little bit, since he hasn't got time to lurk on the AK boards. In the damned near 10 years I've been buying caps from him, and put them in FISHER, Sansui, Heathkit, and other brands gear, I've NEVER had a failure! Can't say that for the "new" CE's.

I would suggest you get all your "sh__ in one bag" before knocking someone who's genuinely interested in helping the guys in either the Audio, or Video Hobby.

Larry
HM3 FMF SS 1973-1977
Larry, have you opened one?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-08-2017, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Brian; Read my last 2 posts up.

Stick yer arm out.....it won't hurt me a bit!!!
Old 09-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Well, I have, out of curiosity.

A now-silent-key neighbor (Mr Doyle, from my childhood home) that went blind (diabetes) gave me his leftovers from his shack in 2010, and among the rigs was a Drake that he had repaired here locally. I spotted the odd-looking FP-style can cap with the silver Hayseed stick on label, and opened it up. Nichicon caps, soldered to the terminals, and capped with a deep drawn aluminum can that slid over the base. I studied it a bit to get some (more) ideas about restuffing some caps of my own. Nowhere in the cap from Hayseed was any epoxy - it was clear silicone sealant. I didn't dig further, as I had a ton of stuff going on at the moment. I had to finish clearing out his shack (trash and all...) as part of my deal. Aside from his small supply of tubes and a few huge transformers that I kept, all of the ham stuff (and the Drake) went to a local (retired RM) I knew that was once involved with the Navy MARS program in the early 80s.

"Restuffing" - no, I guess not. But the VK restuff standard is cut it open, and replace with new capacitors and seal it back up. I don't go for Audiophile terms like carbon tracks (at 500V? Maybe at 2KV and up dancing around in a HV Cup, but not a problem with multisection caps.), nor do I care what the below-the-chassis terminal is - the originals are tinned copper, so sans the tin plating, well, they are the same.

I meant no harm nor malice towards Hayseed - he's been legendary over on QSL.net for a decade - his overlays (seen 'em) are gorgeous and rightfully made him a legend. But I stand by my comments - the only true multisection caps (rolled foiland impregnated paper/fibre, all values one large component) are being made by others. 4 Nichicon caps in a can are just what we use here, so the same, at least to me..

Me? I repair industrial controls and (some, don't tell...! ) consumer electronics, having to research and source my own parts. Those companies I listed? AeroM - the original Mallory equipment was being used by them - in 1996, when I had to specify some caps for a old navigation system for the Navy Research Laboratory. Called them up, told them what we needed (one AC cap with an 3A or so RMS current rating, and one DC cap at 300V in one can) and got them - 3 weeks later, from Mexico. Barker Microfarads? Famous here in VA, and also for making the Sprague line under contract for Vishay - for 39D series, you gotta go with Barker, but sadly, they have no direct consumer distributors - just B2B stuff. TechCap - my last Tektronix buy included some new stuff from them - a 20/20 at 450V, in the large diameter (1.5") squatty can. No date code, but a temp rating of 105 degrees, so better than the originals. I'd have restuffed it, but the customer gets what he wants...

Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I spotted the odd-looking FP-style can cap with the silver Hayseed stick on label, and opened it up. Nichicon caps, soldered to the terminals, and capped with a deep drawn aluminum can that slid over the base. I studied it a bit to get some (more) ideas about restuffing some caps of my own. Nowhere in the cap from Hayseed was any epoxy - it was clear silicone sealant....
Thank You Brian , Despite Larry's repeated protestations to the contrary , I do believe your telling the truth about what you found and I appreciate you letting me know about it . As to me , I restuff when space demands or when a special set must be kept 100% original looking , but for run of the mill day to day tube sets I'm far more likely to do as Tom C said , throw a terminal strip in some handy spot somewhat near to where the original can was and mount the new caps there . Not once in better than 60 years of doing this have I seen any detriment to mounting replacement electrolytic capacitors this way .....
Audiokarma
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You Brian , Despite Larry's repeated protestations to the contrary , I do believe your telling the truth about what you found and I appreciate you letting me know about it . As to me , I restuff when space demands or when a special set must be kept 100% original looking , but for run of the mill day to day tube sets I'm far more likely to do as Tom C said , throw a terminal strip in some handy spot somewhat near to where the original can was and mount the new caps there . Not once in better than 60 years of doing this have I seen any detriment to mounting replacement electrolytic capacitors this way .....
Yep - even my Setchell has "under the hood" cap replacement. No way was I gonna mangle that cap - it has prime real estate by the back of the chassis, and with all those aluminum modules....gotta hide the improvements, so zip ties and a tag board to the rescue. My gut and recaps have all been in test equipment and my CTC16.

And dad? He probably went through 3-400 of the old Ambassador 20/40/80uF 450V axials in fixing TVs over his 45 years. There was this middle-aged guy that came down to VA from NYC in the mid-late 70s, selling TV parts from his gold/bronze colored station wagon. He stayed with TV guys while he was down here, and gave huge quantity discounts on stuff. He had it all - replacement rod antennas, caps, focus rectifiers, knobs, cheater cords, light bulbs, fuses, and the occasional flyback for recent RCA or Magnavox, but no tubes. He'd had a shop with his brother on Radio Row in NYC for a dozen years, but got pushed out by the WTC construction. I remember his funny stories and his Ammo can of power supply diodes - I had never seen 10,000 diodes before and was in awe. His gray Ambassador axial electrolytic caps show up here occasionally in a set or at the VB hamfest - good for a laugh, as I wouldn't use one now if you paid me to.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Followin' the Rules...

From the seller:

Dear buyer
This yolk came out of a working color Zenith TV
It was removed carefully.
I have corrected all the errors and have listed the
TV circuit and model for your convince I also still have the complete power supply with the high tension electric coil
In case you need it. It is not listed yet but if you need it let me know I will list it as well.
Thanks for your inquiry.
And I wish you luck with your experiment

Notice it went from New(other) to USED, and the General Dynamics reference is gone too....

Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Bullies beware.

The description has changed yet again, and the General Dynamics reference is back.

Rare to find this

Zenith CRT DEFLECTION

Copper Coil,

DIY

Education,

Experiment,

TV,

Electronics

Fast shipping

US seller

Quality products

Quality service

Buy with confidence

US seller huh? US immigrant maybe. I wouldn't buy from someone who can't spell/form proper sentences regardless of item or price.