Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:31 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My new Colortrak!

Just picked this up for $35. Cabinet is pristine, but the tube looks to be weak. More pix and info when I get home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2846.jpg (65.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2835.jpg (133.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM
sampson159

what chassis is this?the heavy vertical fold down chassis was bulletproof.that crt will probably come up with a good hit or two.back in the 80s,i restored many rca crts with nearly 100 percent results.had several of these as daily watchers and i swapped a sylvania crt in one for my mother.what a picture!this is a great score
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Finally got home and started working on it, and the news is not good. The CRT is complete garbage. Good thing I have a spare RCA 25V tube in a junk set.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM
sampson159

if you have a crt checker,give a shot or two before you replace it.i like those delta tube sets with the big fold down chassis.the flat chassis not as much
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Almost every tube I get, I revuvenate using "Auto Restore" on my Sencore CR70. I hit it, and it's still garbage. Focus is horrible, the colors are smeared, and can't get good greyscale. On top of that, the phosphor is one of the worst I've seen. It's brown, instead of silver.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:23 AM
Peanut Head

My aunt had one just like that! It served her well for many, many years.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Most of these colortraks were run into the ground, trust me on that one.

My grandmother was a console TV fanatic before she died. She had that exact one for years and years until in the late 90s, the tube went.

By the time it was replaced, floor model TVs were going away. She got lucky and the store had 1 left, it was an RCA CTC203 which was one of the last of the consoles. It ran all the way up until she died in 2013, no service whatsoever, but again, same story the tube is toast. has poor focus and extreme color bleed.

Last edited by mbates14; 01-22-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 AM
TheUniversalDave1

This one actually seems to be fairly low hours. The phosphor is very darkened, but after a rejuvenation, it produces a very good, very watchable picture. I have a parts set with a tube with phosphor that's in much better shape. I'll probably swap them.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

if it needs a rejuvenation at such low hours then the CRT was junk from the factory. like 90s Zeniths sets were.

I have a Magnavox TV that my parents bought new for me back in 94 and that thing still has a picture on it like it was new. However I can tell its starting to get tired as convergence/focus is drifting in the extreme corners. Its a daily watcher, has been since 94.

Surprised me for being a BPC set. Sure, I had to fix it a couple times. Once it fell victim to the very common 100uF capacitor failure in the horiz circuit that causes a scrambled picture. Then there was a 3.3uF non polar cap that dried out taking out the STR regulator IC.

After those 2 repairs I hadn't had to fix it again luckily. Only downside is its a hot chassis so there is full B+ on the coax line. cable company wasnt too happy about that a time or two when they were out. Now its hooked up to a modulator so it doesn't matter anymore, now that there is no such thing as analog anything anymore.

Last edited by mbates14; 01-23-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
if it needs a rejuvenation at such low hours then the CRT was junk from the factory. like 90s Zeniths sets were.

I have a Magnavox TV that my parents bought new for me back in 94 and that thing still has a picture on it like it was new. However I can tell its starting to get tired as convergence/focus is drifting in the extreme corners. Its a daily watcher, has been since 94.

Surprised me for being a BPC set. Sure, I had to fix it a couple times. Once it fell victim to the very common 100uF capacitor failure in the horiz circuit that causes a scrambled picture. Then there was a 3.3uF non polar cap that dried out taking out the STR regulator IC.

After those 2 repairs I hadn't had to fix it again luckily. Only downside is its a hot chassis so there is full B+ on the coax line. cable company wasnt too happy about that a time or two when they were out. Now its hooked up to a modulator so it doesn't matter anymore, now that there is no such thing as analog anything anymore.
Hot chassis or not, there shouldn't have been any potential on the coax input.
There should've been an isolating network in the lead from the tuner to the coax connector. These devices were sourced from EIA 343, Zenith and had a tag stating not to substitute it with a regular coax. It might've been damaged by a lightning strike nearby.
That's the reason I have GFI receptacles throughout my workshop.
The set should have a full wave bridge rectifier so the chassis is only 62 volts above ground.
Audiokarma