Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Predicta Antenna Question

I know this has probably been discussed before. I did a search and couldn't find anything. I have a G4242 that is missing the antenna (the spring is there). What is the exact length of the required antenna, both collapsed and extended. Would anyone have a model number of the aftermarket ones that occasionally come up on E-bay. I've seen where Bob A has taken the one of the old stand alone antennas and fabricated it to make it work and look original. Other than the originals being brass vs chrome.
Tony
Old 01-18-2018, 10:31 AM
RCA 741PCS

I'm not aware of any compatible aftermarket replacements. Not sure why you say chrome. All the replacements I made have been brass.

The originals were really cheap and just thinly plated brass. The few Ive seen have looked pretty bad. I really think fabricating a replacement with a salvaged, vintage antenna is the way to go.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...255328&page=12
Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Bob, By chrome, i meant I've seen some people just stick a replacement antenna on there. While it might be better than nothing, kind of looks out of place with the other brass accents. So, any idea, how long the original is ? I'd imagine if I can make it re-tracked back into the cabinet that would be better yet ? I'm sure there must have been a maximum length before is ends up hitting against something critical. Or was this something the originals did not do ? Or am i over thinking and should just be happy that I can find something that has the same length and looks as the original.
Tony
Old 01-18-2018, 11:14 AM
RCA 741PCS

The originals do retract back into the cabinet inside of a plastic tube. Something like 10".

That's on original on the left.

You can see it inside this Predicta Tandem cabinet on the left. The Tandem and Holiday are nearly identical.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the pictures. I pulled the back off this G4242 and it looks like I've only got about 7 1/2" at the most before it hits the high voltage cage. I saw this on E-bay, and while it looks like it might just work, (other than being chrome) it might be about an 1" too long judging by the middle picture (with the ruler). I didn't want to buy it and then be just a tad too long. (looks like about 8 1/2") The basic area where it swivels and collapses looks like the original.
Some of the prices for the "antique" zenith chromatennas are huge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Sto...19.m1438.l2649

Tony
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 AM
RCA 741PCS

The replicas I've made do not retract in to the cabinet so it hasn't been an issue. The reason the chromatennas workso well is that the plastic base can be trimmed to mount in the original holder. I don't know if the one on ebay will fit in to the remains of an original.

A bigger issue may be that it doesn't appear to bend at the base. I assume you want the antenna to pivot and point up and not just straight out the side of the cabinet.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was just going by the packaging from top to bottom, telescoping, extends full 38", swivel action adjusts to any angle for best reception. But your right,.. it might not go a full 90 degrees, maybe only 70-80 degree swivel. After looking at your pictures it looks like that is why they have that "slot" in the base metal area ( to get the full 90 degree swivel). I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a Zenith chromatenna, maybe I'll get lucky and get something cheap. I've got enough junk around here it would be something I'd have to resell if it didn't fit. Thanks again..
Tony

Last edited by Tony F; 01-18-2018 at 12:20 PM.