Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

In need of a blank VHS tape suppler.

Hi all.I'm looking for a online blank VHS tape suppler since the stores like Walmart dump them.I check some thriftshops out and they have used crap and nothing available.

Thanks in advance........................................... ..................
Old 09-24-2016, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think any more companies are making them now.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

I get mine at Sears, of all places. They sell Maxell.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Checking Amazon, it looks as if most of their listings state few remaining, order soon. It appears that supply of video tapes is indeed drying up. Is anybody actually producing them anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...lank+videotape

not affiliated,
jr
Old 09-25-2016, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I don't think any more companies are making them now.
Yes I agree.Leave it to these progress idiots and thats what happens.I dont mind the technology moving on but dont shove it down our mouths .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross0 View Post
I get mine at Sears, of all places. They sell Maxell.
I bought the last batch last January which were Maxell and now Sears is eliminating their electronic dept to expand their bedding dept in the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Checking Amazon, it looks as if most of their listings state few remaining, order soon. It appears that supply of video tapes is indeed drying up. Is anybody actually producing them anymore?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...lank+videotape

not affiliated,
jr

Yes I check some of those the other day.I found .

www.checkoutstore.com/

https://www.deltamedia.com/pg_blank_video_tape_new.html

https://www.tapeonline.com

Note .They hammer you with the inflated shipping charges.
Audiokarma
Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a bunch of NOS tapes on ebay, many from the 80's and 90's when they were better quality.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
There's a bunch of NOS tapes on ebay, many from the 80's and 90's when they were better quality.
Yes with better housings too with thicker plastic .These newer ones from the last 10 years are paper thin and you can put your finger nail through the case.Also if you drop them at even 4 feet off the ground .They will shatter like glass.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

PNY still lists them on their website under the Memorex brand. They won't sell direct, but you might try reaching out to them for information on current retailers.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Hi all.I'm looking for a online blank VHS tape suppler since the stores like Walmart dump them.I check some thriftshops out and they have used crap and nothing available.

I've bought them at garage or yard sales. The thrift shop, I usually frequent is like a gold mine. They usually have the items I can use, at reasonable prices.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post

Time to switch to DVD-R. I saw the writing on the wall when Walgreens VHS supply started getting spotty, and started running a DVD-R along side my VHS system...I want perfection in my recordings and I hate digital noise artifacts...When cable started using a lousy digital feed to their analog service that had worse digital artifacts than DVD I finally shelved VHS...Since if I can no longer tell the source of artifact from looking what is the difference.

I've had 100% recording success rate and recorded disc playability rate since learning the procedure in the manual of my Toshiba DVD recorder 5 years ago. The discs are cheaper than tape and you'll never get tape noise or drop outs again.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2016, 11:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Time to switch to DVD-R. I saw the writing on the wall when Walgreens VHS supply started getting spotty, and started running a DVD-R along side my VHS system...I want perfection in my recordings and I hate digital noise artifacts...When cable started using a lousy digital feed to their analog service that had worse digital artifacts than DVD I finally shelved VHS...Since if I can no longer tell the source of artifact from looking what is the difference.

I've had 100% recording success rate and recorded disc playability rate since learning the procedure in the manual of my Toshiba DVD recorder 5 years ago. The discs are cheaper than tape and you'll never get tape noise or drop outs again.
Right now, I have enough VHS tapes to last a good while. I generally use them for recording a program, that I might not be able to see the finish of.
I save very few recordings, I make.
The last movie I recorded, was Bonnie and Clyde from PBS, no commercials.
I was surprised to see a movie like that shown on educational TV.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:22 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Right now, I have enough VHS tapes to last a good while. I generally use them for recording a program, that I might not be able to see the finish of.
I have a DVR and DVD-RW for temp stuff I'll later record over....Only time I record on VHS anymore is when my DVR is full and I'm out of RWs, or when I want to timer record something so long that it's entirety will not fit on any one machine.

Some of my archived stuff may get VHS and S-VHS to S-VHS, DVD, and digital copy transfers in the future to better organize it, remove damaged copies of episodes and redundant copies of episodes....I'll keep an analog copy of the analog cable era stuff to preserve the original experience and digital for redundancy.

My VHS decks still get use as players, but at this point I can't find value in regular time-shifting/archiving of new material anymore.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Quote:
I have a DVR and DVD-RW for temp stuff I'll later record over....Only time I record on VHS anymore is when my DVR is full and I'm out of RWs, or when I want to timer record something so long that it's entirety will not fit on any one machine.

Some of my archived stuff may get VHS and S-VHS to S-VHS, DVD, and digital copy transfers in the future to better organize it, remove damaged copies of episodes and redundant copies of episodes....I'll keep an analog copy of the analog cable era stuff to preserve the original experience and digital for redundancy.

My VHS decks still get use as players, but at this point I can't find value in regular time-shifting/archiving of new material anymore.
I probably got to shaky it off and use the DVD .I agree with the clarity of DVD . No .As I said before.I dont like and trust that type of recording format.In a couple of years the discs will be coasters.Also Its limited to the 2 hour speed and cant time shift programs but I could try using the DVDram which can use like a DVR and slow it to 6 hour mode since I timeshift and archive some shows at SLP mode on VHS.I can deal with double backups of downloaded shows from the internet but some show are not or not the full show is available online.If every show that I like is available online.I will say screw VHS and let it go into the sunset like I did with cassettes.I cant remember when I recorded a full cassette of music.As said before .I would not mind a DVR with no strings attached to it.I can copy the shows and edit the ads out on to VHS.That would save tape without the ads.Again Hollywood got us by the nuts because they dont want us recording their content.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

My DVD recorder allows SP/LP/EP speeds, even on a DVD+R. Quality does vary as a result. I have recorded many 8 hour discs.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
My DVD recorder allows SP/LP/EP speeds, even on a DVD+R. Quality does vary as a result. I have recorded many 8 hour discs.
Ditto. I run a Toshiba D-VR5 DVD recorder/VHS combo for DVD recording. My oldest discs from it are around 5 years old and still play fine (mine has 4 speeds Xp/Sp/Lp/Ep that run 1/2/4/6 hours each respectively and in quality ranging from vastly better than VHS to decent ).
I also have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVR/DVD recorder. I mostly use it's DVR section...It is a free DVR not tied to cable or tivo or any other crap....I just set it like a VCR and later watch my programs and when done either delete them or dub them to DVD...It is that easy. Both units were thrift shop finds and I spent less than $40 a piece.

Audiokarma