Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Yes i Know, but still there should be thousands of old Low D cameras, vtrs and switchers laying around somewhere, shouldn't there? did they all go to the dump?
Actually, as I said, a lot of them are still in service. I know our studio isn't due for a change-out until next year. And even then it will be with digital SD cameras. A lot of SD gear has also found a second home in schools, churches, government, plus internet web streaming. You don't need HD cameras for a lot of web streaming applications. And when equipment does reach end-of-life its often auctioned on eBay or can be found at B-stock suppliers like Broadcast Store, etc

Usually its only when the device is non-operational does it usually find its way to a recycler. I know I helped load the dump truck on Friday with a Chyron Maxine, several 3/4" decks of all sorts of variety. A 3/4" robotic server (that killed me, I'd have liked to take such a unique beast home), Several BetcamSP decks that had ended up underwater when our Odetics robotic Betcam server was flooded out because a pipe burst. The Odectics itself had to be chainsawed to get it into small enough pieces to leave the building, it had literally been put in there when the place was built.

Anyway, to answer your question, its still out there.

David
Old 09-07-2008, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since most equipment being used today is much smaller that that was used 50 or so years ago, much of it is being brought home by the engineers or given to another facility. If you go to any good or larger hamfest, you will find this stuff. I recently went to the Shelby (NC) hamfest to find older ENG cameras were everywhere.

Regarding the digital transformation that is due to take place next february, it involves the transmitter and not so much of the studio gear. Transmitters can transmit digital or analog without too much modification. Most stations have already done this and are ready. Our local PBS channel 2 had to shut their secondary channel 15 off because of an aged klystron ($125,000?) that they had babied along but it didn't quite make it to the end before they install a new digital transmitter.

Just this morning at a flea market a man was selling a small handheld Casio color TV that uses 4 AA batteries. (kind of neat looking too) He wanted $20 for it but he may not realize it won't work after february! No, I didn't buy it as I have plenty and BTW, does anyone have a good idea of what to do with these Sony, Casios etc. when they no longer work? Perhaps a low power RF to make them work in your house, or just display them in your collectors case?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:43 PM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

you think that RAI when replacing equipment as cameras, mixers, television monitors, microphones, etc.. etc.. sent them to Turin for the destruction. in practice they destroyed with the hammer. This information gave me by a men who work in RAI of Florence in 1978.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Thanks for the pictures!
is a pleasure to be able to contribute in this very interesting forum
Old 09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Julian, do you know if they ever have "Clean out the Junque" sales over at Oak Ridge ? prolly not much TV-related stuff, but you never know...
Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Julian, do you know if they ever have "Clean out the Junque" sales over at Oak Ridge ? prolly not much TV-related stuff, but you never know...
They do and had a recent sale last week. They don't have much if any vintage TV stuff.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

This site

http://sixtiestv.com/color_tv.htm

says that in 1964 that only 137 out 565 commercial stations in the U.S. could originate color - often only film. So, the number of Tk-41s built may be much smaller than the 1000 maximum I estimated. It also said that NBC was scrounging color gear from such places as the New York World's Fair to supplement its equipment in the 1964-65 season.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to back issues of TV Guide, the local station was running newscasts in bw into the mid-70s at least. On a tour of the station in the very early 80s I recall seeing "new logo" RCA cameras. Always kinda wondered what model they were, and if they are still around.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks old tv! I looked at the site and on the home page I found my NBC Color Chimes Photoshop artwork borrowed from my post at Pete's site a few years ago. Purely my own idea of the color chimes look. It was created from a scan of the real B&W version of the NBC logo and doctored from there. Credit where credit is due was requested.

All you AK'ers are welcome to use it on your sites if you think it serves a purpose. Just let me hold it for a future avatar when I get tired of the Philco babe.

Dave A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NBCcolorLOGOyel.jpg (19.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 09-09-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Either a slide projector, film chain or network programming was the only color source in many stations. This sort of reminds me of some motels in the '60's that would have "color TV" on their signs giving the impression that each room would have color TV's only to find that a 21" roundie would be the only one in the lobby.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was just admiring one today that said Color TV,
RCA at a local Motel.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:02 PM

I sent an email to Lytle Hoover, and received this reply:

"Actually in our researching our old records we can only estimate only >250 in the US. Additionally Marconi built their own TK-41s from RCA plans in England. NHK in Japan received @10 and built others there also.
Many of the photos that got displayed of local TV mobile units were the RCA unit being loaned or leased to the stations for special events.

-from Lytle Hoover's research of his RCA records to augment Ed Reitan's website's initial study of 'early Color Pioneers.'
http://novia.net/~ereitan/PION_6m.htm#EarlyPioneers

Lytle, former market research administrator for RCA Camden, maintains the RCA TV Equipment Section of Barry Mishkind's "Old Radio" website http://www.oldradio.com/ "

-----
Much thanks to him, we are homed in on the probable number built, and it is interesting to note what work-horses they must have been to be kept in service and shared around all that time.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...Only 250 or so...Wonder what those bad boys cost in big, round 1960 dollars ?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM

From the 1957 price list:
Color studio camera chain (console mount) $49,500;
Color camera (less image orthicons) $17,951
Electronic viewfinder (less kinescope) $2,975
Color Camera control chassis $1,295
Processing amplifier $3,990
Master Monitor $2,450

Now, just add 3 image orthicons, viewfinder CRT, cables, and lenses, and there you are!

Lenses:

fixed focal length range in price from $190 -$300. A color camera also requires a $75 field lens for each objective lens.
Studio Zoomar lens: $5,900
TV Zoomar Lens (longer focal lengths, I believe, for outdoors): $7,500

edit: forgot the studio camera dolly: $3,000; and cradle head: $1,590.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Holy Merde ! THAT was real money back then..