Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Dead from the neck up

Archie's TV (slightly OT)

Earlier, we had a discussion about the best stuff to watch on our roundies. I mentioned Archie Bunker. Today, I got the third season DVD set. On the episode where Archie gives the editorial against gun control, they show his TV appearance on HIS set. In this episode, Archie has an RCA CTC-38. I thought I'd throw this in. I know the 38 is a rectangular, but since I mentioned Archie here, that's where I put this one.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was another ep where Edith has the set repaired. The repairman took the chassis and CRT out of the cabinet and took it to the shop. Archie gets home and tries the remote and gets no response. We see Archie thru the empty TV cabinet's CRT hole, and IIRC 4 speakers, 2 left and 2 right of the CRT. "Where's the guts to my TV set?"...
Old 07-23-2004, 08:16 AM
jasonlava

It had to be top of the line because I remember it was a "clicker" remote. I always assumed it was a roundie until I saw the "gun control" episode.

The jukebox in Kelsy's bar was a Rock-Ola. My friend had one almost like it except his had a window so you could watch the record being played.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Dead from the neck up

The set at Kelsey's in the ep where Archie was to be on the Cronkite news was an Emerson. It's a little hard to see.
Audiokarma
Old 07-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Dead from the neck up

In the "lost locket" episode, after Archie finds his TV cabinet empty, he decides to replace the set with insurance money. He gets a Magnavox set. I think it was a solid state set. Anyway, Edith finds the locket and tells the examiner the truth. The claim is denied and Archie is not happy.

The funniest Archie episode is the one where he is to appear on the Cronkite news and insults the repairman. Naturally CBS preempts for a speech by Nixon.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the earlier episodes, they didn't have their first color set quite yet. One that I remember was when the set broke down just before what I seem to recall was one of Archie's news appearances. In that episode, the repairman came to the house but couldn't work late enough to fix the set that night because he was Jewish and couln't work past sundown. There were some references to "when we finally get a color set" and I remember that the trouble with the set was "one line fuse blown and 1B3 tube out" which sounded like B/W set trouble to me. There was also one of those Panasonic 1.5" pocket sets featured in that episode, not working because of dead batteries.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:55 AM

Re: Archie's TV (slightly OT)

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave
Earlier, we had a discussion about the best stuff to watch on our roundies. I mentioned Archie Bunker. Today, I got the third season DVD set. On the episode where Archie gives the editorial against gun control, they show his TV appearance on HIS set. In this episode, Archie has an RCA CTC-38. I thought I'd throw this in. I know the 38 is a rectangular, but since I mentioned Archie here, that's where I put this one.

kind of riminds me of the episode when he bought a gun
for the house. Then gets robbed by Demond Wilson and
a friend of his.