Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do you have any information about where this TV has been over the last 60 years?

Carl
Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really doubt if the set was used over the years. The only evidence of that is the tube date codes, which is tenuous. I don't see any other components that look newer than 1952 ish.

Congratulations on having what appears to be a working tube.

Last edited by Steve McVoy; 06-16-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations on buying this ultra rare prototype colour TV set, I am glad to see it has gone to a good home and to someone of these forums!!! Best of luck getting this set crankin again and I look forward to seeing your progress along the way!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Administrator

I may have missed it, but what's the story of how you got this set in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I may have missed it, but what's the story of how you got this set in the first place? Inquiring minds want to know

It was at auction, on Ebay. I would like to know how Harry Poster got a hold of it though, he never did tell anyone unless I missed it.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Harry told me he got the set from a picker, and and it probably came from the Camden area, but he didn't know anything else about it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
Harry told me he got the set from a picker
That reminds me of visiting a well known radio dealer years ago. His place was packed with amazing items. I finally broke down and asked, "Where do you find all this stuff?" He shrugged and replied, "People bring things to me."

Phil Nelson
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks to me like there is one newer yellow electrolytic soldered under the chassis.
I'm a big fan of getting rid of all the leaky paper caps. But I have also had very good
luck with electrolyics in cans from the pre-wars up thru the mid 50's. I just reform them with a very low charge current and they are not leaky. It is not like they are in a place to cause a lot of damage when they short. My TRK-120 has all of it's original electrolytics and it works fine.. I thought Harry told me he got it from a picker from the Lancaster area.. I'll have to go back and check my emails.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been back tonight snooping again through your excellent and detailed photos of your chassis. I found it very interesting that the rear apron red, green and blue screen controls (presumably) have plastic color keyed shafts. That seems almost prophetic in such an early prototype.
For a chassis this seminal, I'd have expected three generic pots, identical in every way, both physically and electrically.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL_1 View Post
Looks to me like there is one newer yellow electrolytic soldered under the chassis.
I'm a big fan of getting rid of all the leaky paper caps. But I have also had very good
luck with electrolyics in cans from the pre-wars up thru the mid 50's. I just reform them with a very low charge current and they are not leaky. It is not like they are in a place to cause a lot of damage when they short. My TRK-120 has all of it's original electrolytics and it works fine.. I thought Harry told me he got it from a picker from the Lancaster area.. I'll have to go back and check my emails.
I also remember the Lancaster area being mentioned in an early post or e-mail on this.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 03-27-2012, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL_1 View Post
I am glad to see someone else saving the early dry electrolytics. I reform them as well and have little problem with them.

I have also had good luck with early-mid 1930's wet electrolytics. If the electrolyte has not leaked (due to perished rubber seals) I have been able to reform and use these as well. My old Scott radio has a wet electroytic from1935 and it maintains the 20ufd with vitually no leakage. The reforming took about four days incrementally increasing the voltage across the wet electrolytic until the full rated voltage was reached. As the capacitor reforms, the leakage current drops and the wet electolytic leakage remains constant at about 50uA at full voltage.

The post WWII dry electrolytics reform pretty fast but I still give each a couple of days to ensure the leakage is below 100uA and remains there.

Terry
Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Pete. That is certainly different than what I expected. The burst is down in the sync rather than riding at the black level. I still need to find out how they phased the burst and components.

Darryl
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Thanks Pete. That is certainly different than what I expected. The burst is down in the sync rather than riding at the black level. I still need to find out how they phased the burst and components.

Darryl
Darryl,

I have an article from p338-343 in the March 1953 Proceedings of the I.R.E. where they describe how they generate a CPA NTSC color bar test pattern if that would help. They describe how these signals were used in the late 1951 and 52 tests. The color sync was 3.89 Mc

I could email it to you if you think it would help. The files are a little too big to post here.

James.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
Darryl,

I have an article from p338-343 in the March 1953 Proceedings of the I.R.E. where they describe how they generate a CPA NTSC color bar test pattern if that would help. They describe how these signals were used in the late 1951 and 52 tests. The color sync was 3.89 Mc

I could email it to you if you think it would help. The files are a little too big to post here.

James.
Definitely! That sounds like it might contain enough information to fully implement CPA.

Thanks James

PM sent
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Thanks Pete. That is certainly different than what I expected. The burst is down in the sync rather than riding at the black level.
Darryl
Here's something from Loughlin published by IEEE in 1984; it seems to explain the odd burst.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPApedestal Loughlin.JPG (135.1 KB, 36 views)
Audiokarma