Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

a question, but this color TV SET you have found in the street or you have bought in a store?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought it at an antique store, but I found out about it because it was also advertised on craigslist.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I bought it at an antique store, but I found out about it because it was also advertised on craigslist.
You Americans are more advantaged in finding old color TV SET, here in Europe, especially in Italy, at most you could find color TV SET half of the'70s no more, is no longer anything those TV SET B & W of years '50'60 Are virtually unavailable. tv equipment were not widespread in homes as yours.
today you can find 3 or 4 TV SET in a house. but 20 or 30 years ago a house a TV SET.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Broken speakers! These two tweeters are broken (see pic). I might be able to solder some wire to the one on the left, but not the one on the right where that one wire is broken way inside. I looked in my stash of speakers but I don't have anything the right size. It's 3 1/2" 8-10ohms. Is anybody currently making anything that would work as a replacement?

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had this same problem with both a B&W RCA TV and a 1953 model RCA radio. The wires did break off of the speaker mounted connecter in my cases, but I was able to soldier them back. To fix both of them I drilled the remains of the old rivet out and replaced it with a machine screw and bolt.

As Andy indicates, this seems to be a weakness in RCA sets.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

It works. That pic is nearly like it was when I first turned it on, all I adjusted was the vert height. I haven't done any convergence or anything else yet. The power tuning does work, (but the tuner does need cleaning, I had to spin it around a few times before I got that good of a picture.) I can't fully test the remote yet without a battery, but I tried a Zenith SC600 remote, and the "channel higher" button changes the channel lower, and the "off-on" button turns the color control up. Also this set picks up a lot of interference from the DVD player, (maybe because of that missing metal plate from under the IF board?), I was finally able to eliminate most of it by getting a long wire and placing the DVD player several feet away from the set on the floor, and using a separate RF modulator rather than feeding the TV directly from the RF output of the DVD player. I'm currently running it on only one speaker (without those 2 speakers from my previous post) but it sounds ok.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good Adam! Wow those are some deep reds! It came out nice for your first start up. Nice job on the restoration!
-Tony
Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The last two 60's RCA TVs I've worked on had speakers with rivets that broke when I attempted to unplug them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett View Post
I had this same problem with both a B&W RCA TV and a 1953 model RCA radio.
The same exact thing happened to me, the rivets broke right off. I should have stopped after the first one, but I really didn't expect it to happen twice. Now I know to watch out for this when unplugging these RCA speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Looking good Adam! Wow those are some deep reds! It came out nice for your first start up. Nice job on the restoration!
-Tony
Thanks. I always get nervous before turning on a set for the first time, then waiting for it to warm up. It was a big relief when that picture came up.

The picture stays b/w for about a minute before the color comes in. I'm going to try that chroma oscillator alignment like I did on my Philco which fixed this problem in that set. But for now I'm not going to mess with it for a while, at least until I dig up something for a battery for the remote and try and fix those speakers.

Next I'm going back to the Philco, I finally tracked down a needle that fits the phonograph in that unit, so I'm going to see if I can fix the record changer. It works manually, but won't change records.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know what happened here, somehow I posted twice...
Audiokarma
Old 12-31-2008, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did the color oscillator alignment on this set, as it was taking several minutes for the picture to come up in color (like my Philco was last year). It improved it, but I didn't really fix the problem until I swapped out the 6GH8 (which tested good - It seems that the 6GH8 in this particular circuit sometimes won't work right even if it's good, I've even had tubes work in one set, but not another). I also did the adjustment that centered the tint control - it had to be all the way to one side to get green. And so far I've repaired one of the speakers. Still haven't gotten a battery for the remote. I also need to adjust the vert linearity a bit, and touch up the convergence, which is actually pretty good except for the very left and right edges.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Mark

Beautiful color! And, happy new year!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Looks like a textbook result - congratulations, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

wonderful deep color!

Something you just don't find nowadays.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. Now the color comes up as soon as the set comes on, but sometimes (not always) the picture will be very dim for as much as a minute or so when I first turn it on, and at this time the brightness control is completely ineffective. I've found that at this time those 2 neon lamps don't light, then after they come on the picture reaches it's full brightness. If the 2 lamps light right away, the picture comes up at full brightness right away. Can I get replacements for these, I can't find any information about them in either the sams or the rca book I have.

I reinstalled the speaker I repaired, but was unable to repair the 2nd one. Also does anyone know where I can get a lamp holder for the light that sits in the front of the set, that tells you if the remote chassis is powered up, I don't have anything that fits, and have yet to find anything that will fit.
Audiokarma