Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Various restored tube radios around the house...

I just thought I'd share images of some of the radios we have around our house. These have all been completely overhauled by our father electrically. He cleans them up the best he can on the outside, but his specialty is getting everything on the chassis back up to snuff and safe to operate on a daily basis.

One of the first things he does is yank out those old and nasty selenium rectifiers. Apparently they can be bad news when they go, and I think he says they smell like farts (LOL) when they start to go! PU!

I'm sure you all know the typical components that usually need replacing in these old radios, and our father does all of that, and then some.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was "plugging" my father's business or anything. I really wasn't trying to.

But anyway, on with the pics...

Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
AK Member

Those are some beautiful pieces. Do you enjoy listening to the tunes too?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmjrt
Those are some beautiful pieces. Do you enjoy listening to the tunes too?
Thanks!

Nah, I don't get into listening to the radios as much as my brothers do, but I do enjoy surfing the stations on the shortwave radios every once in a while. I find SW very interesting being the fact that you can pick up stations from all around the world.

But as far as music listening is concerned, I don't listen to anything on the air, not even on my stereo!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ohh, man....I'm in SERIOUS lust....
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Ohh, man....I'm in SERIOUS lust....
LOL

I guess that's a good thing... in a way.
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Klipschophile

Very nice collection Chops

When it's all said and done "It's all about the music"
Old 05-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzp
Very nice collection Chops
Thanks gonzp. I can't take the credit though as my brothers are the ones who bought these radios. I had nothing to do with the choices they made.

It's kind of funny that they would buy the radios on eBay and have the seller ship them directly to our father so he could overhaul them. Then our father would ship them to us.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Bee-Yoo-Tee-Full collection....that 1st one I especially covet....
Old 05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Sandy G,

I really like that one also. It's in darn near mint shape. However, my father did have to replace the tuning pointer and the clear plastic cover as the old one had either yellowed or cracked. I can't remember exactly.

It also has a really nice and meaty tone to it with that big 8" driver in there. It's just an all-around nice radio. It has AM and SW on it, which I like playing with.

That off-white Norelco is another favorite of mine as it has a bunch of SW bands on it. You can pick up all sorts of fun stuff on that one! Plus is has one of those green cat-eye tuning tubes on the front left. My father just left that one for us last year when he and mom came down for vacation.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Chops, just an outstanding post! Nice photography too...isn't it amazing what vintage radio adds to the decor of a home? I was shocked when my wife expressed how much she loved the look and sound of them, which has turned into one more thing we enjoy doing together. Radio: the key to a happy marriage? I don't know about that, but it HAS to be better than the crap they show on television these days.

I enjoyed visiting your pop's eBay page too Chops. He's really doing it right, and I'm sure his buyers are happy ones. Good to see somebody (besides the souls that frequent this site) take preservation of vintage radio so seriously. Tell him to keep it up, and thanks!
Audiokarma
Old 05-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What do y'all polish yr bakelite sets with? I use Meguier's Body Scrub-it takes the dead finish off, & then I'll go over 'em w/a coat or 2 of Meguier's carnauba wax. Makes 'em "glow". It's amazing what half an hour, a little elbow grease, & a little wax can do...<grin>
Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

Thanks Nolan, I'll be sure to tell him. And he probably won't go for it, but I might try to talk him into joining the site here just for the sake of talking with others about good ole' tube radios.

Sandy, I think that's pretty much what my father does with the bakelite. I don't know what brand of polish/wax he uses, but I'm pretty sure it's automotive wax. And I think he also uses some kind of mild wood soap for the wood radios.

BTW guys, did you all click on The Back Room link on his page?

If you look in the first pic, the Philco consol right in the middle of that lineup is his mother's old radio. It sat in her garage for ages. My father always kept an eye on it for the longest time, and then a few years ago, he asked if he could have it, and she just gave it to him, no questions asked.

I remember seeing that radio even when I was a little goober, but I never saw it on. It will be neat to see it running again when he finally gets to work on it and restore it.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I see yr dad's also into "Boatanchors"-tube communications receivers-the HQ-145 is one. I don't have a 145, but I do have an HQ-129, its predecesor. Also a few others...<grin> The guys here get tired of me "blowharding" about 'em all the time...