Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyurkon View Post

Scotty says he uses a silicone RTV.

It works. But, it makes me just a little nervous when I plug on the socket. It tends to flex which must put a little stress on the leads.

If you use a one part RTV try to find one that doesn't make acetic acid during the cure.

John
RTV3145 does all of that - it cures fairly firm - softer than hard rubber, but firmer than your typical silicone sealant. And the US Gov't spec for all silicone products restricts the % of acetic acid (actually acetyls). The stuff is pretty stable in the tube if unopened - the reason I mention that is someone on fleabay has some (recently) expired tubes. Shelf life for the stuff is two years, so it get's surplused pretty often. New tube of the RTV3145 goes for 23-28 bucks, so "cry once" as they say. The stuff is available online everywhere. Use masking tape for potting the stuff. You can't speed cure any RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) Silicone. Skins in about an hour or so, and you can handle it in 24hrs. Cleanup of any extra is easy - I use an Xacto knife - we used surgical scalpels in the Navy - but a razor blade works as well.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
But they also farm out EVERYTHING ot the lowest bidder. Anyone who's ever had the (dis)pleasure of working on the F/A=18E/F anti-skid braking system will tell you what a POS it is, so I'm not inclined to believe Military technology is necessarily the best out there after what I've seen. That said, I do like RTV for a job like this. I've personally had good luck with Wacky Glue, the base of the CRT in my Halolight is still stuck on prett hard.
Yeah, the Anti-skid system, the servocylinders, and the AAS-38 FLIR all were POS. Saw plenty of them broken in both peace and wartime ops - a VFA "up" status meant it could fly a minimal tanker sortie - "Really up" and they would actually fly ordnance! Semper Tomcat!

As far as the RTV, DOW and GE make great RTV products - it's the come-later companies that you have to watch out for.

Cheers,

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM
VK Member

I used epoxy...

I used ordinary two-part epoxy on the loose base of an 0D3 voltage regulator tube in a Hallicrafters SX-71 about fifteen years ago. This tube runs really hot but it's still solid.

Harry
Maryville, Tennessee
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Yeah, the Anti-skid system, the servocylinders, and the AAS-38 FLIR all were POS.
Actually the servos never really gave us much trouble, it was the skid control box. It's analog when it needs to be digital, to do sampling and all that jazz. As for the FLIR- when it was up, it stayed that way all cruise. If it went down, you never saw it again.

Quote:
a VFA "up" status meant it could fly a minimal tanker sortie - "Really up" and they would actually fly ordnance!
Maybe for the Legacy jets, our Supers were rarely in that category. In fact on my last outing with 154, we flew more in country hours than all the others COMBINED. Even dropped a pair of 1000 pounders on our last run.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Maybe for the Legacy jets, our Supers were rarely in that category. In fact on my last outing with 154, we flew more in country hours than all the others COMBINED. Even dropped a pair of 1000 pounders on our last run.
You're right - I just now noticed the E/F - saw them only with the Test Wing at Pax River - 90% were project birds and couldn't go the AIMD route for parts. Of those few others, we got only a handful of parts - the rest went to Oceana or depot.

All of my time with Hornets was with A and C birds - 4 deployments - Navy with the Cs and the Marines with the As. They were our number one customers. Same CAG for 3 of the deployments, and one VFA outfit was worst on all three. Sucketh maximus.

Cheers,

Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM
RCA 741PCS

The operation appears to be a success

Old base removed.

I soldered fine extension wires to the tips of the CRT wires. That makes it a lot easier to thread through the new base pins.

I found some Permatex RTV in the garage so that's what I used. The old resin cement is mostly intact and in good shape so I left it alone. That meant I really didn't need to use much glue after all. It's only been an hour but it's holding well. I'll know for sure in 24 hrs after it fully cures.

Most importantly, it still test good
Old 07-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Cool LED flashlight/lantern! Where'd you get that neato item ??

Cheers,

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Cool LED flashlight/lantern! Where'd you get that neato item ??

Cheers,
Thanks - it comes in very handy. Especially when working out on the back porch at night!

Can't remember exactly - either Home Depot or Menards. I got both the lantern and mag light in a combo pack for a couple bucks. They're still running bright on the original batteries after 8 months. My only complaint is that they take AAA instead of AA. I've got loads of AAs lying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (34.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
RCA 741PCS

I just got a rebuilt tube back from Hawkeye. Scotty did use a white RTV of some sort. There's definitely a little play in it, but not so much that I'm worried about the wires breaking.