Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

maybe he has more of them as i asked if he had anymore of these type brighteners but he didnt,lol..
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since you're not using the green one, why don't you disect it and let us know what's inside and how it's wired?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

THIS one is much more like I remember in the old days::

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Onei...item4ac0bd5b21
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That thing must do a little re-biasing of the G1, a little more positive and possibly even boost the heater voltage a little.... Simple resistor network off one of the more positive going pins, couple meg-ohm resistors, a slider pot, and there ya go.... Accomplishes the same as a brightener and resetting the screen bias, but sold to home owners for a profit, so no real need to learn them anything about those 50 little turnie things back there. Almost like the thigh-blaster from the 80's that also came with a fitness and diet guide..... Guess what actually got the weight loss done.....
Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I happen to have one of the Oneida units with the 3 sliders as shown in the auction link that RCA2000 posted. The patent number on it is 3967314. Here is the description from the patent document:

"A means is disclosed for selectively increasing the emission of the several color guns of a color picture tube by placing a variable resistance between the control grid and the screen grid corresponding to each said color gun. This provides a source for increasing the voltage on the control grid of that color gun. As the voltage on the control grid is increased, the emission of that color gun is increased, thereby making it possible to blend the colors of the several color guns."

"The unit disclosed herein is constructed of three slide resistance controls. The controls are 5 megohms each with a 100,000 ohm stop. Each control is connected between the control grid and the screen grid of the three guns."
Old 06-29-2013, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 07:59 PM.