Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
EFSP

Jumped into acoustic phonographs in a big way!

Well, I'm not over here much, but this is one i Just had to share.

I've liked both the idea and style of acoustic phonographs since I was about 2, and have wanted each and every one I saw.

I never found a semicomplete working one in my price range. Then yesterday, after selling some things, I was at my local antique mall buying some records, and in a corner no one ever looks at (a lady that worked there for two years didn't know it existed), was a Brunswick Model T with the 3 way Ultona reproducer. It looked complete. I checked the price tag and it said $175. Cool. I might be able to swing that.

So I put a record on it, gave it 3 cranks, released the brake, and away it went. Speed was a bit warbly, but the speed control worked and the sound it made wasn't terrible. I only played about half a side to test, then let the motor wind down.

So I go home, did some research, and concluded I wanted to offer $125 for it, but didn't think I would have enough funds until Monday (I'm buying something else fun over the weekend).

I go back today to give it a closer inspection and ask how much interest there had been, and get answers I like. Then I was informed that it was 25% off. Hmmm....that's about $131, very close to what I wanted to offer. So I tell them I'm coming back for it Monday.

But it's gnawing at me. I call up a lady that's paying me for some transfers to see if I can be paid tomorrow (so I'll have money for my fun item), and she answers yes.

I went back and got it for $140 with tax. Took the reproducer and platter off, and loaded it into the Roadmaster Wagon with help from someone there.

Fortunately, my neighbors are moving today, and like me. So I enlist their help in getting it up the stairs (and I helped them move a dresser).

Haven't reassembled it yet, but here are some pics. Yes, that is gaffers tape holding up the back hatch of the Roadmaster.

I sort of want to put different fabric on the horn cover, and I need to get some more needles.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum, Me Young Sonne ! Lookin' GOOD w/Yer Victrola....(grin) I THINK thorn bush needles will work in a pinch...
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your first acoustic phonograph looks like one of their top line models. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Administrator

That's an interesting Reproducer, looks like it's Stereo!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
That's an interesting Reproducer, looks like it's Stereo!
Stereo? In a wind-up phonograph? I don't see how that could have been possible with acoustic phonos, since they have no amplifiers. Perhaps this one was some very special (and expensive) design, the only one of its kind. The only thing I can figure is this is a wind-up phono with a battery-operated tube amplifier (four 01As or other very early power amp tubes in push-pull, two per channel?). I went back and took another look at one of the photos of the innards; I thought I saw a speaker with a torn cone in the cabinet. Even at that, I still can't see how an acoustic pickup system (for want of a better description) could be made for stereo reproduction. The few wind-up phonographs I've seen (in photos; never seen one up close) have all been acoustic and mono.

BTW, I wonder if anyone ever tried to convert a wind-up phono to use an electric synchronous four-speed turntable and a tube-type or solid-state amplifier just to preserve the cabinet, after the spring eventually broke or something else went wrong with the original mechanism.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 AM
EFSP

It's a very unusual design reproducer. It's called an Ultona, and it rotates to three positions. As you see it there, it's meant for playing lateral cut records, rotated to the right with a (missing) sapphire stylus it can play vertically cut Pathes and such properly, and rotated to the left, it becomes horizantal and plays Edison Diamond Discs.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Get a bottle of Howard's Finish Restorer, a shit-potful of Rags, & spend a couple hours makin' it look NEW...(grin)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:06 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Stereo? In a wind-up phonograph? I don't see how that could have been possible with acoustic phonos, since they have no amplifiers. Perhaps this one was some very special (and expensive) design, the only one of its kind. The only thing I can figure is this is a wind-up phono with a battery-operated tube amplifier (four 01As or other very early power amp tubes in push-pull, two per channel?). I went back and took another look at one of the photos of the innards; I thought I saw a speaker with a torn cone in the cabinet. Even at that, I still can't see how an acoustic pickup system (for want of a better description) could be made for stereo reproduction. The few wind-up phonographs I've seen (in photos; never seen one up close) have all been acoustic and mono.

BTW, I wonder if anyone ever tried to convert a wind-up phono to use an electric synchronous four-speed turntable and a tube-type or solid-state amplifier just to preserve the cabinet, after the spring eventually broke or something else went wrong with the original mechanism.
At some point I saw a vintage ad for such a thing(where and when escapes me).
It was totally possible in the mechanical era as both lateral and vertical cut records were in production at the time....some of the early stereo LP formats used one method for one channel and the other method for the other channel so it is not a radical leap to have done it that way in the mechanical era.

I can't begin to fathom why you would think than an electrical amp would be necessary back then...A skillfully engineered acoustic pickup piped to two suitably separated exponential horns(which are acoustic amplifiers) would perform just as well as any acoustic phonograph that was popular at the time.

Some Howard restor-a-finish lightly scrubbed on(go harder in bad spots) with 0000 steel wool then wiped off with paper towels a few minutes later should work wonders.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 PM
console lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
At some point I saw a vintage ad for such a thing(where and when escapes me).
Such a thing as an acoustic stereo?? Until some stereo 78s turn up I think it's safe to say that you saw something rather more ordinary (where and whenever).

I assume Eric was kidding; vinyldavid's post is definitive.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Administrator

I was just kidding!
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

That's the famous Brunswick Ultona head.
One way, Latteral.
Scond position turn of head. Pathe vert. cut. using special Ball saphire needle.
Third turn of head. Play your vertically recorded Edison Diamond Disc records.
Careful there. The needles are not an exact match. May dammage records.

On the stereo acoustic.
Columbia actually made one very rare machine in about 1900 .
It was a cylinder graphophone.
Had 3 reproducers, three horns, and, large cylinder had three traks.
Instruments were on two side horns, and, voices on center track.
Last I knew Alan Koeningsberg had the only known existing part, the reproducer trunion. It was purchased from the shaw of I ran some years ago by Alan.
No records, no machine.
If I remember correctly, when new, the machine cost was 1,000.00 dollars.
Records supposedly 500.00 apiece.
Obviously a rich man's toy.
Never sold manny.

But, it was actually a three track stereo.
Bill Cahill
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think they called it the graphophone triplex.
Bill Cahill
Old 08-06-2012, 03:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I can't begin to fathom why you would think than an electrical amp would be necessary back then...
I am 56 years old and know next to nothing about hand-cranked phonographs, except what I have seen (in photographs) and read about them. By the time I was born, in July 1956, electric phonographs, with synchronous motors and four speeds, had become mainstream in the US and had probably made most hand-cranked phonographs obsolete.

I was asking about the feasibility of converting a hand-cranked phono to modern technology (electric phono motor, AC-operated amplifiers for stereo) because there may be collectors or people who may have an old console or portable crank phonograph with a broken main turntable drive spring, or other problems that forced them to retire the unit. This would permit the current owner (son, grandson, etc. of the original owner) to preserve the cabinet (many console wind-up phonos had finely-crafted real wood cabinets the likes of which we will never see again, unfortunately ), while at the same time updating the technology to today's standards. The modified unit would probably draw more than a few puzzled looks, however, when an AC power cord was seen coming out of the cabinet.

I learned something today from the poster who mentioned an acoustic method of producing stereo sound from a mechanical reproducer, as found in wind-up phonographs. I had no idea until now that stereo sound was possible from disc records made in the early 1900s. The few stereo crank phonos available at the time must have been very well-made, in beautifully-crafted real wood cabinets, and must have cost a small fortune (in that era's dollars).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
console lover

Records for $500 in 1900?? Adjusted for inflation that's well over $10,000 for one record. NOT buying it (the story or the record). In fact, Googling "stereo graphophone" or "Columbia Triplex" or any combination of those terms returns zilch relevant results.

Source your info.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

DOES make ya wonder, IF they had some sort of stereo effect back in the grammophone days, logically, it would have carried over into the early electronic era, & we would have had stereo a LOT sooner than 1958...