Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Avionics Technician

Sony DXC-1200 Color Camera

Hi guys,

I was given this camera by a friend at work, and was very pleased to see it works great after some very minor repairs to the viewfinder circuits. I was wondering in what capacity this camera was generally used - amateur, professional, field, studio, etc. At some 40 pounds and with a thick AC power cord and tally light, it certainly wasn't anything made for consumer home use.

I plan to use it this weekend on an outdoor shoot, mainly because it will look cool with my huge rack of vintage video gear. Was just hoping to find a little info on its background and typical user environment.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

there is a you-tube video about this camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXHZbKNxbW0
which I can't preview here at work, but might be worth viewing
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Funny I should see a post pop up here about this camera as I personally own a Sony DXC-1200P which I won for $5 last year on Ebay and have just got it working yesterday, well not 100% working as the colour is weak to almost non existent but good enough for a decent B&W picture. I have put photos of it on my site http://1970scountdown.atspace.com/dxc1200.html (mistakenly labeled as DXC-1200CE) and have uploaded a test video yesterday pointing it at a colour bar pattern on my monitor which as seen there's very faint colour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xKRPb2wLiA .

To answer your question, I believe the typical user environment for these cameras would be same of that with the B&W Sony AVC-3200s which would be high schools (if they were wealthy), colleges, universities, industries, lower budget video production companies, advertising agencies, and possibly some lower budget TV stations pay have possibly used these as I know TV stations have used vidicon cameras for some productions. Basically this colour camera is semi-professional grade and is lower on the rung from the 3 plumbicon tube colour cameras typically used by TV networks at the time like the RCA TK-45.

Anyways great to see yours is working, could you share some video feeds from it with us as I would like to see pictures from this kind of camera in full glorious colour.