Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Looking for an FM stereo transmitter

I'd like to get something similar to my SSTRAN, to play music through my 60's stereo stuff, as AM mono isn't really hi-fi. I found a very simple looking board for $20 online, but I want to get you guys' opinion before I get it. FM transmitter
Old 11-18-2016, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

What microcomputer do you intend to use to control it?

jr
Old 11-18-2016, 11:48 AM
M is for Memory

Do you have any experience/desire to learn how to program an Arduino micro controller using C language and or understanding of I^2C communication?...You will need that to control the board, and possibly to set it up to work.

It is not very hard to learn to program. In college I was given an Arduino Uno embedded development board and learned much programming on it. I^2C is easy to implement on the Uno I was using it after ~an hour of research....Granted the chip I was trying to talk to (a UHF agile TV modulator) via 1^2C did not have the same address as it's data sheet specified, so I had to write a program to ping every address in order and look for a response...That took more effort than implementing I^2C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-18-2016, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

The C Crane FM transmitter uses a Silicon Labs FM transmitter IC like the one in your link, it may be the same one.

In the past I have used the this FM transmitter, the FM-2 it had a Silicon Labs FM transmitter IC, but I do not remember the part number.

It had good audio.

I took a quick look on line and it is on sale for 40 bucks as Solid Signal.

Out of the box the RF output of the transmitter is dialed back to be well with in the 250 microvolts per meter FCC specification. It is a simple matter to turn up the power a little bit to cover the entire house.

To be clear I do not know for sure that the current C Crane FM-2 transmitter is the same, but from a quick look on the net it appears to be so.

Okay I know have a post count of 1, but I was a member here in years past, but I have no idea what my old log was. Health issues, a stroke, several moves and that documentation is gone.

BTW, Radio-Locator can help in finding quiet frequencies if needed.

Good luck with your project.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Looks like I won't be getting THAT transmitter. I don't want to bother with all that programming garb. I just want something like my SSTRAN.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

To be clear the C Crane transmitter is all in one plug and play as are may of the others on the net.

The "Whole House FM Transmitter 3.0" all though I have not used it, seems to get good some good reviews from those that have. It is somewhat more expensive with a street price of a little over $100 dollars.

Either of theses would be plug and play.

Then there are units like these that while are clearly not legal for use in the US, are plug and play with a fair amount of power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture60.JPG (85.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Panaxis made a nice Transmitter and MPX combo, the FME- actually plans and kits, but nice indeed. We had one for Church - used it to reach the ladies in the nursery so they could hear the audio from the service. An old Ham in the church built it and installed it.

I dunno if they are still around. They show up on fleabay for $$.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have no idea if you can find them anymore, but years ago I picked up one of these at an electronics surplus store. The audio is fantastic and the transmit power is very very good. https://www.cnet.com/products/entemp...m-transmitter/
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

100-mw or less FM monophonic transmitters may still be available (I used one as the FM side of a 100-mw AM radio station I had in the early '70s, before I got my amateur radio license), but I have never seen or heard of any kind of low-power stereo FM transmitter. I am not sure stereo FM is even allowed under the FCC's Part 15 rules for unlicensed AM or FM transmitters, although I can't see why it wouldn't be; after all, the FCC is only concerned with the transmitter's output power, not with the format of the signal (AM, FM or stereo FM) and, of course, the program material carried over that signal, with at least one exception. The exception is this: Even at 0.1 watt (100 milliwatts), the FCC's indecency rules still apply. Don't try to broadcast an underground radio program using all manner of indecent language or content and expect to get away with it for any length of time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Followin' the Rules...

12 bucks and done - shipping included. Just add a well-filtered 5VDC wall wart and an audio source via the 3.5mm jack. If you get some 60/120 Hz hum, ground it good.

http://www.banggood.com/BH1417-200M-...l?rmmds=search

Got one a while back, still have mine in the shop, unconnected, No Antenna needed, and sounds a lot better than my previous 1995-vintage Ramsey FM-10.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma