Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Rare, but also out of my price range

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Victor-C...:SS:SS:US:3160
Old 02-19-2015, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a 1950 sign that went for $406.. Not sure why the value is so high on these things..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Vi...p2047675.l2557
Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

The last one that went on Ebay got like $700+. I personally don't see anyone paying a grand for one, but there are some crazies out there.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

I wonder how much an RCA color TV advertising sign using RCA's old (round) logo would sell for.

BTW, I think the prices on later RCA signs (like the one being discussed here) are far too high. I can't imagine paying anywhere near $1K for one, even one with RCA's original logo. Even advertising for RCA's owned and operated radio and TV stations in New York (when they were known as WRCA) is not, IMHO, worth that much; however, an ad sign for NBC's WEAF (now WFAN and no longer operated by NBC) would probably go for a very high price indeed, since that station goes back to NBC's early days. The same goes for NBC's operated TV station in New York, WNBT (now WNBC); in fact, an ad sign for WNBT when the station was on (now defunct) channel 1 would probably go for a king's ransom, if not higher.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I wonder how much an RCA color TV advertising sign using RCA's old (round) logo would sell for.

BTW, I think the prices on later RCA signs (like the one being discussed here) are far too high. I can't imagine paying anywhere near $1K for one, even one with RCA's original logo. Even advertising for RCA's owned and operated radio and TV stations in New York (when they were known as WRCA) is not, IMHO, worth that much; however, an ad sign for NBC's WEAF (now WFAN) would probably go for a very high price indeed, since that station goes back to NBC's early days. The same goes for NBC's operated TV station in New York, WNBT (now WNBC); in fact, an ad sign for WNBT when the station was on (now defunct) channel 1 would probably go for a king's ransom if not higher.
Of course you would not pay that much. You are on a fixed income.

There are a lot of folks with deep pockets that collect signage, and they drive the price skyward. Those signs were only issued to dealers. There were thousands of dealers (only a portion would have bought one of those signs), but millions of TVs produced. To an extent it is a marvel as many of those signs are out there today as there are.

Also shows like American Pickers alert people that signage is valuable, and once the masses know that they start asking above market price on ebay, etc which makes the idiots think it is worth even more than it is which eventually leaves the market flooded with over priced crap that nobody will buy.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I could see $1000 if it was a first year of color item and related to the CT100.
Maybe if it said "Introducing Color TV" or similar.

It's still a pretty cool animated sign.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nostalgia memorabilia is huge these days, an it's been driven into a firestorm frenzy by these idiot television programs centered on buying and selling antique advertising artifacts. I say if you have these kinds of pieces cluttering up your homes now is the time to sell. [edit: I just realized I said the same thing Electronic M said above]

Last edited by sweitzel; 02-19-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not rare. But I only paid $2.00 for it at a swap meet. I'd take $500.00. Any takers?

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 05-25-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I could see $1000 if it was a first year of color item and related to the CT100.
Maybe if it said "Introducing Color TV" or similar.

It's still a pretty cool animated sign.
This is early and rare. In my opinion, $400 - $500 would be reasonable due to the complete working condition. The only other thing I've seen legitimately worth more in my opinion is the the tin NBC remote truck toy - around $1000 or more in good, complete condition.

I have a number of lighted/animated Zenith color TV (and some other brands, plus some non-lighted) point of sale signs I bought between $30 and $70. I bought them to have, not flip. I see some of them listed at over $200 in the last year; have not bothered to follow if they actually sell. Not worth it in my opinion, although I note that lighted beer signs seem to be listed at prices like these.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Bob Galanter

I wonder what these are worth? I have 2 of them (both sides of the original lighted store sign) This photo was taken thee day I got them from the daughter of the original owner, and prior to cleaning them up. They are in perfect condition and are now hanging on the wall in my TV display room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old RCA sign.jpg (81.8 KB, 43 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Dug this out of the files. Your's truly with another example of that RCA dealer display taken at the 2011 ETF convention. The flash washed out the colors on the display. Notice the tag at the bottom of the unit is white lettering on black at the ETF. Black lettering on white background in the ebay example.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 07-28-2016 at 12:09 PM.