Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Gizmo Nut

Wow,, gorgeous,, never knew that one even existed.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicradios View Post
It's not a 3rd set but the same console discussed in the other post. I had already worked out a deal with the previous owner before that thread was started so I'm a little confused by the other post. I drove 5 hours each way, Made the trade, purchased a few other items from the seller and drove away with the set.
The seller had both the 31C606MU (producing raster with a good 21FBP22 already retrofitted for its original 21AXP22 which had gone to air long ago) and a 31C304M (with its leaker 21AXP22 still in place). Before the trade in which ClassicRadios scored the almost-working 31C606MU was finalized, I had worked out a tentative trade with the seller for the 31C304M in exchange for my services in restoring the 31C606MU for his collection and teaching him how to restore a vintage color set in the process. After regretting having traded that set and learning that I had a delaminated 21FJP22 which would work as a substitute for a 21FBP22, however, he decided to have me restore the 31C304M for his collection instead and work out some other trade for the CRT plus Restoration and Tutorial work. The seller is a cabinetry expert and I recently scored some sets with very rough cabinets that he's confident can be restored relatively easily, so I'll be more than happy to help him with restoration of his first vintage color set in exchange for his help in making one or more of the rough cabinets of my recent scores presentable.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Also in regard to this rare Sylvania color chassis, would anyone here know if it was possible to create an adaptor for testing this chassis with a GTE/Sylvania CK-3000 Color Test Rig? I have a CK-3000 rig and its manual. Since I will be restoring the 31C304M, it would be helpful to know if anyone else has had any success operating that rig or a similar one with a chassis older than the ones which the rig's own adaptor complement will support directly. The earliest chassis' supported by the CK-3000 according to the manual are of the same era as RCA CTC-7. The main challenges in doing so appear to be determining whether the YP-12 Yoke Program adaptor will provide a proper match to the yoke windings' impedances provided an adaptor is fabricated to interface the A112 yoke cable to the yoke connections of the earlier chassis, what convergence ballast values and connections would be required, along with verifying that the 21AXP22 basing would be compatible with the A113 CRT adaptor. I recall that the 21AXP22 and 21FBP22 basing codes are different, but have not yet studied the exact difference other than the obvious one of Cone Lip versus Button connection for Anode.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Mark

Update: The Sylvania has a new home. I made a straight run to Troy, Mi and back in a day, got back yesterday (actually 2:30 am today) It will be restored to almost complete original, I say almost because it will have a glass tube rather than the 21AXP22. The edge purity magnets are gone as well. If John or anyone else has the old dud tube, insulator or magnet assembly, please let me know. I'd like to have them if it's not too much to ask. I will have to replace the CRT it currently has as it is beyond repair and has bad shorts, red gun is almost dead. I looked closely at the dust on the screen controls and the red was up almost all the way, the first time I looked I thought it wasn't. More updates to follow, I'll start a restoration thread when work begins.
I'm rude, I forgot to say thank you. Thanks for the coolest set ever Jim! This one stays in the states and at my house forever!!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 07-16-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: I'm rude.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Mark
looks like a lot of fun there! Keep the pictures coming as I want to watch the progress. Also, thanks for the help with craters and freighters. I would have loved to drive there but my van has 291,000+ miles and has the original engine. I don't think it would have fit in my Buick.
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Hey Mark
looks like a lot of fun there! Keep the pictures coming as I want to watch the progress. Also, thanks for the help with craters and freighters. I would have loved to drive there but my van has 291,000+ miles and has the original engine. I don't think it would have fit in my Buick.
You're welcome, I hope you enjoy the tv. It is 100% restored, I just never aligned it so it may need a tweak. I believe that was mentioned in the listing. I hope it gets there safely. I'll start a restoration thread on this Sylvania soon when work begins. I know how it is with high milage vehicles, I have 3.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
AK Member

Congratulations! Nice to read another case of the AK "brotherhood" helping each other out.

That Sylvania is, indeed, gorgeous.

Of course, anything dating from 1958 is bound to be well-built, intrinsically beautiful, superior. desireable, a survivor, very special... a notch above the rest! Just think of 1958 Cadillacs, 1958's top singing artists, and much, much more!
Oh, and did I mention modest?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Since I'll be restoring the "sister set" to this 1958 Sylvania (Sylvania model 31C304M), it would be good to know whether anyone has data on feasibility of making an adaptor for interfacing this Sylvania color chassis to the GTE/Sylvania CK-3000 test rig (or a TeleMatic rig of similar vintage) for bench testing, since neither rig supports that chassis directly.

For both units, the earliest color chassis supported directly by its adaptor complement was the RCA CTC-7. If a correct set of Yoke Program, Convergence Ballast, and Yoke Cable characteristics could be determined, then the use of test rigs would help simplify these early sets' restorations greatly. It would seem that the correct yoke wiring harness could be as easy to create as making an adaptor to mate the leads of the existing "roundie" yoke harness to the correct plug for the older chassis. That would leave only the correct Yoke Program and Convergence Ballast values and pinouts to be determined, since the CRT cable should be directly compatible with all 21" color tube applications.

The most important consideration (aside from the obvious ones such as compatibility with 70-degree color chassis of any kind in the first place) in using a test rig with a particular model of 70-degree color chassis similar to one which it supports directly is matching the impedances of the respective yoke windings in the rig to those of the set's own yoke within a reasonable tolerance. For both windings, +/-10% is preferred, while +/-15% is about the maximum tolerable degree of mismatch. Most 70-degree color yokes will typically have similar impedances, within +/-20%, as an educated guess. Uncontrollable vertical "rolling" seems to be the most frequently occurring symptom when operating test rigs with 70-degree color chassis when there is a moderate mismatch of convergence ballasts. Of course, a severe mismatch of Yoke or Convergence impedance could easily damage the rig, the chassis, or both.

In the absence of a means to match my CK3000 to the chassis, I could fabricate extension leads and fit the set's own Yoke and Convergence components onto the good 21FBP22 in a "roundie" set I have here with a structurally sound cabinet and severely damaged faux finish. Cushioning the set top with a rug to avoid worsening the damage to its cabinet, I could then use the cabinet top as a workbench during phases of the Restoration where operation of the chassis with a CRT connected will be necessary (troubleshooting) or at least highly desirable (alignment, etc.) while the set's own cabinet is stored safely out of the way of the service bay area.