Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:10 PM
Mike Drown

Exclamation Maybe I should sell the ones I have!!!

Did you see how much this '49 Sparton Mirror-Lid set sold for on ebay? $812.86!!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=3638&rd=1
Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 PM
Banned

I passed on a pair of those three years ago for $50 each. I passed because I don't find that model particularly attractive. I'm not into vintage TV collecting for the "flip 'em for a profit" potential. In fact I can count the number of vintage TV's I've actually sold after acquiring them on a couple or three fingers.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Mike Drown

I know what you mean Rob. I went 14 years without selling a single set from my collection. Although lately it has become difficult (and costly) to manage a large accumulation, plus I realize I'll never be able to work on all of them, so I have been toying with thinning-out. I think I'll keep both my Sparton Mirror-lid sets though. Neither of them are as nice as the one that sold for $812. I'll probably need one for parts anyway.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Banned

Mike,

Fourteen years? Awesome! I have only been collecting for ~6 years and of those years I haven't added to my collection appreciably in the last three due to a lack of play money. I did work very hard with lots of driving to put together the modest collection I have now (about 50-60 round screen sets) and am resisting the temptation to part it out for a profit. I figure as a whole it is something of value and I mean that in the other ways besides monetary as well!

Like you there's no way that I'm going to get all of mine restored and frankly I'm not troubled by that. Undisturbed vintage TV's, er by then they will be antique TV's, will be more attractive to collectors in the future I tell myself anyhow.

Fourteen years ago there were many more vintage sets to be found at good prices. Why don't you share more pictures and descriptions of your collection. We'd love to see it!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to Mike for pointing out the auction. I need a back for mine and the guy had great photos! Should be an easy repro from those good shots.
Marlin
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2003, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Marlin,
Congratulations on the new fourm. That is a pretty straight ahead back to reproduce. No tube cap but you'll be drilling a LOT of holes.