Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Honest Opinions Wanted: Price Range For 1964-5 Zenith

This is not an ad, so it's not in the classifieds. I just want to get a realistic and fair market value range on a set that COULD go in the future. I have posted on some work I have done on this set in the past, but really haven't had the time or the space to proceed. Luckily I got the set watchable anyway, but it just sits there in HER kitchen with nowhere to go.

It's a Zenith model 5111. I don't have the chassis # with me at the moment. It is basic with no UHF and has the metal cabinet with removable legs. It's cabinet and chassis are in great shape. There is some wear of the plastic/chrome on the front and the control door has seen a few dings over the years.

The replacement CRT is very healthy and the flyback is good. To be a regular viewer one would probably want to replace the caps in the horizontal output circuit. I say this with honesty as my output tube cathode current measurements proved to be higher than the 210mA recommended max when run at full line potential. With that in mind I always run it on a variac at about 105 VRMS and it does fine.

So, if such a thing were yours and you knew what I have stated and other things most of us here know; what would you have to have for it. OR if you saw it in a thrift store and considered buying it; what would you give for it?

I am asking so that IF I ever think she would be more forgiving if I got it out of our kitchen, I will have an idea of fair market value. As with all vintage electronics I have sold, it's not just about the money at all. A big part is knowing that something will pass to someone who can perhaps better preserve and maintain a great old piece that otherwise is just hidden from the world and gathering dust. We do have time and money invested, so that is a point to ponder as well.

Thanks in advance everyone and happy hunting!!
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
sampson159

depending on the crt,brand name,etc,75-125.00 would be my range.without pictures and more info.i sold a 1965 zenith with a rebuilt crt,working in an early american cabinet that was in near mint condition for 150.00.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Little too new for my tastes, but $150-$200 seems to be fair for roundies like that if they are in working order with good picture tube.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, sounds good so far. Now I have heard that the metal cabinet, which upon purchase I thought just lent to it being an uber base model, actually makes it more desirable. The reasons given make sense.

People tended to see a TV, most particularly a color console as an investment AND furniture. That's why a "vintage" TV used to often be found doing time as a stand for a often smaller replacement. I remember hearing older folks saying "the cabinet is worth" this or that.

But a metal cabinet would be way more likely to go to the dump; and did. So evidently they are harder to find. That's all well and good I guess, but honestly, I would rather have a nice wood cabinet over a metal one. So ya have to wonder who it is that would be seeking out old metal color TVs specifically......
Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Level 1

You're right, the base model metal cabinet is now very desirable. If you were local, I would pay $200.
Audiokarma
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
sampson159

again,it depends on the crt.if its a cheap rebuild,its worth less.a real zenith or top brand will add more.my estimate was considering a low level crt.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Seems like this as with most things is different strokes for different folks. I expected that and I still am able to get an idea of the set's worth. It doesn't seem like that long ago that TV shops would sell me anything "round" for ten bucks and I regularly parted out sets given to me as a kid so that Dad wouldn't just empty the basement for me.

Seems they became "viral" in the past 8 to 10 years, which parallels with what I call the relative age group that sort of control what is or isn't the must have memory. For the longest time it seemed that unless you had a 40s or otherwise round CRT black and white OR a unPredicta Philco, you didn't have much. I am glad that the spectrum has broadened quite a bit as the interests change with time. Heck, there are quys getting excited over 1987 Sony Trinitron finds these days. And by all means I mean no ridicule because it's all about preservation. No different really than us tube circuitry lovers that can remember Solid State sales producing tons of good old sets for beans in thrift stores or even more at dump-sites for free.

The flat screen trend we are now in that introduced 100% solid state sets and the death of the vacuum tube to the general public produced so many CRT set disposals that thrift shops most often won't even take them as donations. Too many to handle and warehouse. So kudos to the age group that feels the same way about later model sets as we may about 50s stuff and "roundies".