Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Dead from the neck up

I forgot my RCA CTC-16 was a curbside find. The original cabinet was water damaged, so it still sits waiting for a chassis, tube, etc. I found an empty 16 cabinet, which is the one pictured on my website/
Old 08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

if it's B & W i don't mess with them
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably my best curb find TV is a 1946 Dumont "Clifton". In excellent condition with good CRT and complete except for the power supply. I keep thinking one will show up someday. I could just build my own. I did locate a spare main chassis in Kutztown a few years ago.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

My best road side find was an AWA 17" set from 1956, the year TV started here in Australia. It was missing the back and the cabinet was rough, but other than that it was basically intact. I had hoped to restore it.

Unfortunately I no longer have it. I held onto it as long as I could, but in the end I had no choice but to dump it after scavenging some parts from it. I had tried to give it away on several occasions, but there were no takers. The weren't any locals I knew of then interested in vintage TVs and noone responded to the ads.

I wish I still had the set, along with some other interesting sets I stripped as a child looking for components for other projects. I guess most of us could tell similar stories.

If there are any other vintage computer guys here they can laugh or cry at me. In my pre internet days sold my IBM 5110 for $40.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:41 AM
AK Member

My curbside or "trash" finds were in 1982 I had found in the city of Pomona here in southern california a RCA CTC4 "Director" model in poor shape but I still have the set today. In 1986 I had found next to a dumpster of a house that was sold and cleared out, a RCA CTC7 blonde set in semi fair shape, I have since sold this set. Just before christmas 2005 on my way to work dumped on its side along the road was a GE color set (CTC11 clone) with damaged cabinet but the electronics and CRT is still good, I still have this set in storage. Love the stories I read!
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
AK Member

My neighbor has consigment sales, he had about a 52 motorola console next to the road, he said he sold it twice and no one ever picked it up. I got it home in the back of the car. Cabinet a little rough, nothing works, but I have already used one of the tubes and it holds a good portion of my radio collection on top. A week ago I found a 84 little wards bw set, just what I wanted and it works perfect from our recycle center, all the tvs are sent somewhere for salvage after people pay the ten dollars to leave them, the guy who manages it lets me take whatever I want.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Tuesday 5/27 found a GE Portacolor, chassis 10HE, 1975 vintage. Thrown from a house renovation. After a basic cleanup, works as well as those things ever did, considering no DC restoration or auto chroma level control. Seems to be low hours, from a wealthy neighborhood. A good bench TV for me.
Kevin