Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mga hs-100

This forum has inspired me to dig out a prized possession of mine. The first VHS machine imported to the USA. The MGA HS-100. This unit is an SP only, two head, rotary tuner machine. I acquired it in 1982, it worked fine. I tried it last like 15 years ago and it had a problem which plagued this chassis even back in it's day, too much take-up torque do to a seized clutch assembly. It would stretch and ruin a tape if I tried it so I have not. Maybe someday I'll disassemble and remove the clutch and try to free it up. I think it's a spring loaded felt pad type clutch but it's been so long I can't remember. This chassis was JVC and there was a JVC model I used to service in our shop but the model number escapes me, anyone remember it? I'm pretty sure this was introduced prior to the first Matsushita PV-1000 and equivalent RCA VBT-200.
Oh, the memories are coming back after 30 frickin' years ... Larry G
MGA HS-100 001.jpg
Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like a JVC Vidstar HR-3300
Old 12-30-2016, 07:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, that's the one. Those were work horses. I can still hear in my mind the clatter clang as it loads the tape. Very noisy but solid as a rock.
Had a great picture too. I still think the early SP only machines had the best video. No track overlap and needed less noise cancellation circuitry.
But the market pushed for more time on the tape. Two hours can't record a football game (American football)

Last edited by retrogear; 12-30-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

The very-first Mitsubishi VCR was made by JVC for one year, and then they built their own starting in 1979.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
The very-first Mitsubishi VCR was made by JVC for one year, and then they built their own starting in 1979.
I remember the HS-300U made by Mitsubishi... 5 motors was it? Supply and take-up reels, capstan, loading, cylinder. No belts or idlers though, well maybe a counter belt. What a beast.
Audiokarma
Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
I remember the HS-300U made by Mitsubishi... 5 motors was it? Supply and take-up reels, capstan, loading, cylinder. No belts or idlers though, well maybe a counter belt. What a beast.
That's right. I have a parts-only HS-300U that spins its video head out of control at max speed.