Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:55 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Ryan
Getting back to the 23" Motorola color with the 23EGP22 tube. Now there's a set I'd like to have for my collection. Any one know where I can get one?

Try the City Dump (and a time machine to go back to a time when they were about 3 months old)

No, just kidding... I still see them now & then. I will let you know if one pops up. Dr. Dan has one, but I dont' think he wants to part with it because it was the family TV originally.

Charles
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings! Yep, it was just only a couple and I'm still collecting! Say, take a look see next time you visit ur folks. The other set I'd really like to get a hold of for my collection is the Westinghouse 22" rectangular from 1957. I don't seem to see these around - could have been terrible sets. I think any attempt at building a rectangular tube back in the 1950's is cool - not sure if the convergence was any good. Didn't CBS Columbia also have a 22" rectangular - could this have been the same tube used in the Westinghouse?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Damn does run fast…

Oh god, my RCA KC117A chassis is bad too. It's got a disconnectable yoke and a few holes to reach inside through, though. I found a small extendable mirror is useful for a quick scope hookin.

Anyway, it's pull the front screen, pull the CRT, pull the chassis - it goes out the front easier.

Vert chassis sets are inevitably annoying to work on, save for the side chassis color sets.

Most color sets are bad just because they've got wires going EVERYWHERE with no real bundling of them. Portacolors are horrid to work on too....
Old 12-07-2005, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Ryan
Greetings! Yep, it was just only a couple and I'm still collecting! Say, take a look see next time you visit ur folks. The other set I'd really like to get a hold of for my collection is the Westinghouse 22" rectangular from 1957. I don't seem to see these around - could have been terrible sets. I think any attempt at building a rectangular tube back in the 1950's is cool - not sure if the convergence was any good. Didn't CBS Columbia also have a 22" rectangular - could this have been the same tube used in the Westinghouse?
Tom,

Yep, the 22" Westinghouse rectangular was originally developed by Hytron/CBS Columbia.

-Steve D.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I started the thread "WORST EVER" thread, and still say the Motorola with the 23EGP WAS the worst ever..hands down. It is hard to know where to start!

I do remember going to (the retailer) E.J.Korvette, and on the 2nd floor at the top of the escalator was a wall full of Motorola color televisions. They were especially impressive on Saturday night when "FLIPPER" was on. Anyway, with no other brand to compare, they didn't look to bad, had a good price on them, and you could take it with you,too. For many owners, the story went downhill from there.

Where does one start describing junk? These things were unbelievable. I remember that these sets were plauged with tube socket problems. Not only that the sockets had to be replaced, but there was so much crap under the chassis, it was IMPOSSIBLE to unsolder/solder it, not to mention the PCB disintegrating if you tried. What we did at the shop was to break the socket apart to expose the pins, then solder the new one on top of it as best as possible. Not a pretty picture..

I think a single 3A3 would have done a better job than the tubes in the I-F section. A 6BK4 would definitely have done a better job in the demod circuit. Hook a scope to the set. The horror..the horror. Unbelievable.

The 23EGP was in a class all by itself. Purity? Forget it. Expensive? When we could buy a 25AP/XP for $50 exchange, (to the best of my recollection) the EGP cost around $130.To get around the price, 25AP/XPs were subbed (Motorola approved). The kit to make the sub possible..didn't. It was horrible. Some could be shoe-horned in, others couldn't.

Lots of them came back to the shop before the repair warranty was over. Most of the times, for another problem. Anyway, the boss finally issued the edict. These sets were banned from the shop.

Best place to find one, about 30 years down in the dump. There were times I did like them.. belly-up in the dumpster!
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2005, 03:26 AM

Isnt this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-MOTOROLA-5...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6c_0.JPG (2.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 12-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

that be the one, almost brings back nightmares. the only good thing was cabinet by drexel.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Attention Tom Ryan! If you don't mind a combo, then this one will work nicely for your collection. Motorola showed it in their '65 lineup as model 23LK408A.
It looks a little rough but these are getting pretty scarce now. They may not be a Zenith as far as quality but I like to have a few working ones in my collection because of their history.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Drexel cabinets were beautiful. But, when the seller suggests you "take a little sandpaper" to it I get nervous. IMO, unless you are an experienced furniture refinisher you could really botch the job. Either you expertly blend the old finish with the new, or plan on sanding and refinishing the entire cabinet.

-Steve D.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought that was odd too Steve, as well as the "needing tubes" remark. I am sure the seller just has no idea, and is attempting to minimize the amount of work it will take to get the beast going again! Many of those Ebay sellers don't realize that we as collectors like working on those items, and are not afraid of what they may need to work again.
The main thing here is that it appears the seller has NOT attempted to do any half-ass repairs on the cabinet or electronics!
Last thing I would want is someone's screwed up project! Had a few of those in the past and they usually wind up being parts...
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Frenchy

That thing is only 5 feet long? Looks more like 8 feet in the pics, for a second I thought it was two of them shoved together. You could land an F-14 on that thing!

Last edited by frenchy; 12-26-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

You know, after looking at that thing again doesn't it look warped at the middle? It's so long I wonder if it drooped from the weight! Hope it's just the way the picture was taken.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dang-- that things a monster! It's a shame so large ---very early rectangulor CRT set. I guess shipping on this would be double the size of a roundie at least since so big?? Someone's gotta really want this with the original hi-fii or just have lots of space. These must be getting scarce due to there inherent problems with reliability. Set IS nearly 40 years old, a classic yet?

Last edited by vintagecollect; 12-26-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Never a classic.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:21 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

This is the worst part: It's too heavy for one trashman to lift into the hopper of the truck.

Charles
Audiokarma