Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Frenchy

<<the pva was mixed with a catylyst and was near the viscosity of water.
the cover was held with a jig or spacers and the tape applied.
a little port was installed in the tape and the liquid pva was poured.
bubbles would come to the port which was the highest point.
the pva cures.>>>

Yeah, I was just thinking that if the stuff was really thin when it was poured in then that would easily allow all the bubbles to get out quickly, thanks for the info. Using silicone, geez I can't imagine being able to do it without a bubble eventually screwing it up. Or lots of bubbles. If a bubble was anywhere under the faceplate, don't see how vacuum could be used to remove it, it would just remove all the silicone along with it. Wonder how hard it would be to obtain the stuff necessary to recreate the original formula/catalyst.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Damn does run fast…

I bet it's a catalog item or a newer/better version out there is. Dow, GE, who else is worth checking?

Water like? That'd explain the lack of bubbles.

Seriously, with some jigs and experimenting, a useable 'refill' process doesn't seem too far out of the realm...
Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Has anyone else done a removal of 21FJ glass lately? I'm thinking about trying it... I am wondering if a heat gun, or a blowdryer is better? I know the sun won't do it, as I have seen TVs with bonded glass in windows of old TV shops facing California desert sun for years and no un-bonding. I don't care too much about saving the glass, because I will be using the subject tube in a Zenith with 21FB glass.

I DEFINITELY don't want to have the CRT crack!!

Thanks for any input...

Charles
Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I'm going to have to do it sometime on a NIB rebuilt tube that I have.
Somehow I bumped it right on the edge and cracked the safety glass.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye-Halbert TV
Has anyone else done a removal of 21FJ glass lately? I'm thinking about trying it... I am wondering if a heat gun, or a blowdryer is better? I know the sun won't do it, as I have seen TVs with bonded glass in windows of old TV shops facing California desert sun for years and no un-bonding. I don't care too much about saving the glass, because I will be using the subject tube in a Zenith with 21FB glass.

I DEFINITELY don't want to have the CRT crack!!

Thanks for any input...

Charles
There is another thread around here somewhere. I think the consensus was heat guns for RCA tubes, and hot wire for Zenith and any others with the "green halo" effect.

John
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_lateral
There is another thread around here somewhere. I think the consensus was heat guns for RCA tubes, and hot wire for Zenith and any others with the "green halo" effect.

John

Thanks for the heads up on the other thread... I thought so too, but didn't see it the first search. I'll do another search. When I do the job, I'll post a walk-through of the project. I don't have the subject tube in my hands as yet, but I hope to pick it up this coming week . Probably you will see me in a helmet & kevlar jacket in case of a kaBOOM-HISSSSS-tinkle-tinkle-tinkle

Charles

Last edited by Kaye-Halbert TV; 04-17-2006 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye-Halbert TV
Thanks for the heads up on the other thread... I thought so too, but didn't see it the first search. I'll do another search. When I do the job, I'll post a walk-through of the project. I don't have the subject tube in my hands as yet, but I hope to pick it up this coming week . Probably you will see me in a helmet & kevlar jacket in case of a kaBOOM-HISSSSS-tinkle-tinkle-tinkle

Charles
Heres the thread. All the pictures are gone now, though. I think someone said he was using nichrome wire, and someone else was getting away with using copper. I couldnt find that part though.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14086

John
Old 04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Someday I want to try putting one face down in a (big) tub of water for a few days. I know that one left outside will deteriorate to the point that the glass will slide right off, but I'm not sure how long it takes for the water to do the trick. This would at least seem safer than the other methods. Anyway, heat DOES work.