Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

21fbp22a Hi-lite Crt

I just removed a 21fbp22a RCA hi-lite tube from a set I parted out, and come to find out they didn't use the silicon in between the tube and the safetly glass, the safety glass comes off relatively easy, for cleaning.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some of the 21FBP22's used a form fitting safety glass attached with tape around edge but no PVA to give a more "modern" appearance than the rectangular safety glass panel.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Be VERY careful handling this tube after removing the rubber seal and tape holding the form fitted safety glass in place. DON'T accidently hit the screen edge into anything. One good moderate sharp blow to the edge of the screen may cuase a spectacular implosion - sending glass shardes everywhere - including into you!
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

The good news is those tubes never suffer from cateracts. The bad news is that I suffered when I changed one, fired it up and found dirt, a smudge, or something between glass & CRT
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

in rare cases do you need to dissassemble a 21FJ. Reason being, the rubber gasket can break down and cause an oily vapor which adheres to the inside of the glass. I had this on zenith. The gasket was in good shape, but was "tacky" and oily to the touch. After good cleaning of glass and the gasket, it should be many years before I see the problem like this again.
In the pics below are the before and after photos. Obviously the problem is no where near as bad as cataracts. The darker ring around the crt is the oily residue. What the photo doesnt show is the thin oily residue that was covering the entire surface area of the crt and lens. This defocused the picture pretty bad. Best way to describe it, like bringing the set in a warm room after being out in the cold, condensation forms on the crt .
When I found this set, it was in a clean attic, however being in an attic it gets VERY HOT in the summer and baked up there vaporizing the gasket composition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63zenitha.JPG (54.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 63zenithUD.JPG (51.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by drh4683; 12-22-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

You're not kidding! On my Zenith, here's a picture of the POOL of oily liquid that I found between the tube and the glass. I almost yelled at the dog when I saw the pool, but I realized it was too oily to be what I first suspected it might have been, LOL...

Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZenithRoundLiquidSmFile.jpg (30.6 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Kaye-Halbert TV; 12-22-2005 at 11:39 PM.