Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:46 PM
<----Zenith C845

Being a Zenith guy (I just added a TO 3000-1 to my collection yesterday; won it in an eBay auction), I'm not too familiar with RCA sets, especially the Radiola series. How does yours sound with that external speaker, which I would think is as old as the radio itself (I'm guessing 70 years or more)?

BTW, your Radiola set looks great for its age. How much restoration work did you have to do on it, besides the usual recap, replacement of dead or weak tubes and burned-out dial lights, etc.? The cabinet looks great too.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Administrator

It sounds as good as any 1930s radio, which is surprising because it's a 1928.....the Radiola 60 was the first "socket powered" radio introduced. Most similar radios of the era are real squawk boxes

I recapped the "tuner" chassis, and the old power supply chassis but not this new PS chassis. Seems to run out well on its own, and many Radiola owners run them on the original caps. The cabinet's in excellent shape but the top not so much....the veneer's lifted and chipped off in spots.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

The radiola 60 was one of the first AC powered superhets, but the Radiola 17 (and Atwater Kent 37) predated it, they were AC powered TRF sets.. AK also had an even earlier unit with an "outboard" AC power supply.
One thing to watch for on these early radioas is the tuning wheel (pot metal pulley on the tuning cap) These were not dimensionally stable over time, some swell and crack. Slight problems cause the tuning cap plates to be off center, and in extreme cases rubbing can occur. If that is the case, you can (carefully) remove the wheel and file the boss slightly to correct it. The pin holding it on the shaft is tapered, so only comes out one direction.