Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Harrys' selling a good 21AXP22

This should be interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1955-rare-21-Col...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-22-2006, 05:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

and its better than the "A" version/or close to a 15gp22 phosphors..this should be a fun auction to watch..
Old 10-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Banned

I never saw one like that.

That is some beauty! I wish I could buy it even though I have no set to put it in. I need to buy a good 21FJP22 but I guess nobody has one. I will be interested to see the 21AXP22 sale price. I bet it has an amazing picture.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I have extra crt's but I'm keeping them as spares
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 AM
hposter

21AXP22 unusual or typical?

Hi!

Is anyone familiar with the 21AXP22? This one has the registration marks visible through the front screen, at the top and bottom.

I'm curious if this is typical of all 21AXP22 CRTs, or just some (this is serial #K-3620).

Over the years I've found a few RCA developmental & prototype items in this area of Northeastern NJ (including the 16" metal/glass color CRTs which pre-dates the CT-100).

Thanks! Harry
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Banned

Thanks for letting us know!

Am I the only one who wonders why someone would announce that he has extra CRT's that nobody can buy? Is there some twisted pleasure recieved in doing so? Is it alot of fun to rub it in someones face that you have something they want and you will make sure they don't get it?
Perhaps the message was directed to me personally as I have sensed a cold shoulder or two more than once here. I have apologized sincerely for being an idiot and writing things that I would usually speak to be funny only to realize that the printed word is easily misinterpreted and I came across like some sort of undeserving bad person. So, I have been reminded of what I sensed about many in the electronic industry way back when I was a boy and had the opporotunity to have my own shop. Apparently most men in electronics are extremely sensitive and generally very difficult to get along with unless some very strict behavioral guidelines are followed, having many rules of what can and should not be said, that are not discussed and yet expected to be known.

For those of you who are "saving" all the parts and CRT's that could help many other people restore TV's please consider this:
I understand that most people you help would not appreciate your efforts. It makes sense to not help just anybody for that reason alone. I also appreciate the logic in not helping someone who may not properly respect other people. It is very easy to dismiss those who make mistakes as they would likely give an insincere apology simply to get what they want. There are so many people in the world that I suspect one could dismiss people till the day they die all the while accepting those who give one whatever one wants. Is that not the example that the privelaged and wealthy generally set? Why should we care? The world is a "dog eat dog" world and if I as one man try to make a difference I will only be ripped-off and made to feel as a fool likely feels.
I am a person who is certain that the greatest time period in the history of mankind was in the 60's partly because of the general mindset I find in those who lived in and remember that time well. They always seem to be the ones who do have the healthy mindset towards other people and life in general. So, I am trying to capture all the worthwhile knowlege from my relatives and friends and anybody I meet who remember what it is like to believe that "We the people" can make a difference to make our country what it can and should be. I have been spending all the time I can to figure out how to get these generous people to remember so much of what they likely forgot.
That is why the TV's are so important to me. I wish to restore the TV's I have and any others I may come to posess, to have a conversation piece that can bring back memories that will do much more than simply entertain me.
Anybody who helps me will be helping others as well. I am someone who can prove I am worthy of help through my words and actions. I am way down in S.E. Fla. near Ft. Lauderdale and I am always available to help anybody anyway I can. I am physically capable of doing most anything. I have some knowlege and a good amount of common sense. I have some parts to give. I have a powerful car with a trailer hitch to help move stuff. I also have the proper intentions towards everybody and I try hard to show it and I'll do all possible to make up for any mistakes I have made.

question for oldtvman:
Does this that I have written to you and others come across as sincere or just another load of...?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bobby, I don't think oldtvman meant anything by it. I've met him and he is a great guy. Don't sweat it, anyway. Easy to read things the wrong way.

I personally have spare parts I intend to keep, since I really think I might need them someday, and others I am willing to let go. If I had a spare 21" round color tube I would hold on to it very tight. If I had several, well, then I might start thinking about sharing! I will add that I have been blessed by others sharing parts with me, and have been able to help others with some parts I had...I have also felt burnt before when I gave some things away (or sold them cheap) and I did not feel it was appreciated. As an example, one fellow, on another forum, had a standing order for a certain gizmo. He would pay $10, shipping included, for each one. I would occasionally find a gizmo and mail it to him and weeks later get paid for it. I was buying these gizmos for about $5 and paying $5 to ship them so this was just a favor to him. Then one day I get a curt email from him stating that the last one I sent him had a defect and he did not appreciate me sending him such junk. I made up for this by sending him the next machine I found for free and then cutting off all contact with him.

It's a 2 way street and I still think that if you are good to folks they will be good to you.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

Hi Bryan

I do think oldtvman is a great guy. I have read some stuff from him. That situation you mentioned is the sort of odd thinking I have had to deal with many times. The main concern my last post is about is my concern over any more of those roundie tubes or any parts being thrown away or harmed. I have read here before about one load of rare color TV's being put in a dumpster in recent times. Another recent story of a man who had a house that was going to be demolished with rare stuff inside having a crazy man watch the stuff so nobody would take it as if he wanted the stuff to be destroyed with the house. Some buy a classic set to throw away the guts. I thought of there likely being some shops that may have more roundies than they would ever use and I get frustrated to think that more will get destroyed as many people would greatly appreciate being able to save and preserve those that are left.

Someone sure is lucky to get that 21AXP22! Apparently the buyer is lady!
I thought TV's were just for men!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

[QUOTE=Bobby Brady] I have sensed a cold shoulder or two more than once here.

Bobby, I thought your comments in your previous post were very interesting. Particularly where you mention that you have felt a cold shoulder here from time to time. I have had the same feeling from some persons on these forums by reading their posts. I don't post very often, and I guess what little posting I do is not noticed much. I've never been welcomed to these pages, but I still post if I have something to say. But I do notice some arrogance and I guess selfishness. Is this wrong? Probably. Is it abnormal? Probably not. Collecting anything is competitive and sadly can bring out bad attributes in folks that might normally be good people. Collecting these radios and TVs is a microcosm of society in general, so you will run into good helpful folks and those who won't be inclined to lend a hand.

I don't think anyone should advertise "I have this but it's not available". If that be the case, I would think it would be better to just keep it to yourself and not say anything, then if no one knows, no bad feelings will result.

I have noticed some "networking" going on here. As an outsider, which I feel I am, it is a little aggravating to see people posting that they will get an old TV or whatever and keep it for somebody else, in order to prevent any other collectors from getting hold of it. Does not everyone deserve an opportunity to chase after and try to acquire a given set? I find that rather offensive. But I as I said previously, it is just a microcosm of society in general, and human nature. Nothing should really surprise us.

Gilbert
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
hposter

Info on the 21AXP22 CRT

Ok guys, hopefully everyone is happy again.

As mentioned above, this 21AXP22 has the alignment marks visible from the front. I'm interested to know if all of these CRTs have those marks visible.

It ends in about an hour or two, and just wondered.... Harry
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

touchy, touchy, guys! It's too easy to read intent into a few words in these posts. If someone says he's hanging on to such and such, that could be an opening for someone who will really put it to good use to convince him that it will be so-- but if you cna't convince the owner, it's his to do with as he pleases IMHO.
The statement may just be a way of keeping up the conversation about how these parts should go where they are useful to the kind of restoration that the owner is interested in, and not wasted.

I recall my chatechism explained the commandment against bearing false witness to include a warning to "put the best interpretation on everything" - in other words, quit assuming nefarious meanings to everything anyone says.

I say, lighten up and contribute positively to the discussion, even if you think someone else has not.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thing about this forum is we're from all over the country (the world actually), and from every age bracket and walk of life.

I had a 20-year span in my career where I traveled for a living. I've spent extended periods from Boston to San Diego, Miami to Seattle. Just about every city in between. People are still amazingly different across the country, despite the TV set's and pop culture's efforts to homogenize us all. You can walk down the street in New York, look a total stranger in the eye and say "Whassup?". He'll likely smile and say "Whassup?" back. It's a greeting there. Try that in Minneapolis, and the person will probably look up, not see anything, and then look at you funny. Say "Whassup?" to a complete stranger in the wrong part of Los Angeles, you almost certainly get shot.

Be 50 and say "whassup" to a 14-year-old Denver skateboarder with a tatoo and a ring in his nose and he'll say "none of your f-king business, flip you the bird, and tear up your lawn soon as you're not looking. Be 14 and say "whassup?" to a 70-year-old man, and he'll think you're trying to rob him and he'll call for a cop or whack you with his cane.

And that's just "Whassup?". Not "I have extra CRTs but I'm keeping them as spares".

Note to everyone here, whenever you THINK somebody's insulting you and/or "cold-shouldering" you, or excluding you from all the good TV sets by "networking" against you, the odds are better than even that it's all in your head. Take 5 deep breaths and count to 10 before going off on a 3-page sideways hysterical rage over how unfair the whole world is. In general, most people who think the world is a rotten place, built their own hell and are sadly living in it alone.

I'm a fellow Hoosier to OldTVMan, and in a somewhat near age-bracket I would guess. while we haven't met, and while I wouldn't presume to speak for him, I suspect he was just being a middle-aged Hoosier, which is being a very matter-of-fact and pragmatic speaker. Bobby said "Nobody has one". He didn't say, "Nobody has one for sale", just "Nobody has one". I think OldTVMan was just saying he had one. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't say, "I have one, and Bobby Brady specifically can't have it, Nya Nya, NYA". Bobby leapt to that conclusion on his own. OldTVMan just said he keeps some spares. I took it as advice not to think nobody has one, and to realize that there are still plenty of them out there, and just because nobody's knocking down the door to benevolently GIVE one to Bobby Brady, just because Bobby Brady wants one, doesn't speak a word to how few or many of them are still out there. I suspect he was, in fact, just trying to be helpful. "Don't give up hope of finding one, because I know first hand there are some more out there" would have been my translation. As a fellow Hoosier.

Instead of wailing for pages about how rotten the whole world is, if you had said, "Really? Give 'ya $300 for one of your spares", both of you would be happier right now.

It's chilling as hell to know, whenever you consider posting something here, that you have to run the risk of somebody going berserk and screaming "I'm offended!!!". Happened to me awhile back here and I'm still leery from it. Sucks all the joy out of the room. If, as a rule, people should "keep it to themselves", so "if no one knows, no bad feelings will result", What's the point of having a forum at all? If we all gotta be quiet.

If a few people are giving me a "cold shoulder", first thing I ask is "What's wrong with me?", not "What's wrong with them?". That's called being humble.

My 2 cents. -k
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri
Instead of wailing for pages about how rotten the whole world is, if you had said, "Really? Give 'ya $300 for one of your spares", both of you would be happier right now.My 2 cents. -k

I am someone who can give just as many reasons as to why people and the world are continually amazing and wonderful as well as point out some faults but I think I understand where you are coming from.
I appreciate the comments very much. I think this quote taught me the most valuable lesson by telling me how to try to buy something. I feel pretty stupid for not thinking of that.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hey, I've got nearly 9K posts here...I GUARANTEE I've managed to P*ss off more than a few. Generally, its not intentional, altho sometimes I'll say something to try to make people THINK, & most people don't like to be goaded into that.. Has that ever stopped me ? Hell, no ! prolly spurred me on that much harder...But I think anyone who really reads my posts can tell that 99.9% of 'em are all in good fun-just a good poke in the ribs ever now 'n' then..And that's the thing, w/the written word, nobody can see you leering at them, doing yr best "Groucho", pulling their leg...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Harry
I have seen the marks on the top and bottom on many round tubes but I don't know why they put them there. Even the ones made in the 60s.
My question is what happen to the set that tube was in??
Ed
Audiokarma