Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty strict about 3k oil changes, for my forester they (Subaru) originally recommended 5k oil changes and it caused lots of dead turbos and spun bearings.....there's also a little screen in the oil feed for the turbo that likes to disintegrate and kill the turbo. The engine in the Audi has a belt for the cams/water pump and a little chain for the balance shaft/oil pump I think. This one I bought came with a shop manual lol. And I'll look into the valve cleaning, its probably due......
Check out FCP Euro for anything your Audi needs, I buy all my Mercedes parts from them. They have a lifetime replacement program for their entire inventory including wear items and oil... free oil is good motivation to keep up with oil changes.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah I'll take a look, I may be due for pads/rotors/hardware soon. On the intake valve cleaning, everything I've read about the 2.0 tfsi engines involve pulling the intake manifold and cleaning the ports manually. Not much about the seafoam method.....
Old 11-07-2021, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

For daily use a Volvo V70 from 2002. For the summer months a 1966 Ford Mustang convertible with a V8 engine. Also two motorcycles, a 1983 Honda MTX and a 1986 MT. The Mustang came to the Netherlands in 1998, comes from Florida USA. I restored it in 1998/1999.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang 1966 01.jpg (124.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Honda MTX bij Philips 6-7-2017.jpg (100.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Honda MT5 1986.jpg (71.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo V70.jpg (89.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-07-2021, 10:38 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Nice Mustang! Be careful not to bump those so-called bumpers.

My first new car was a 66 Mustang coupe with a small V8, same red paint as yours, with "parchment" interior. It was made late in the model year, and a few of the parts under the hood were from the 1967 line. Of course, it didn't have such fancy wheels.

What color is your interior?
Old 11-07-2021, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Mustang has a white interior in the Pony version. I also have the air conditioning, but no longer installed. Photos taken during the drive in the cinema, is a meeting of the Dutch Mustang club. In the back seat a radio with FM for sound of the movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang 01.jpg (90.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 00.jpg (95.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 02.jpg (67.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 03.jpg (64.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang 04.jpg (79.7 KB, 17 views)
Audiokarma
Old 11-07-2021, 12:32 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Beautiful!
Old 11-09-2021, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice! I even spotted a couple fox bodies in that picture.

I shoulda took pictures of the ports on the Audi. It was nasty! I used a walnut blaster to clean em out. I also ended up changing the fuel feed from that weird banjo fitting to a hose/barb type because I couldn't get that banjo to seal. I also fixed a coolant leak and have the speedo working but I gotta send that ABS module out for rebuild. Next job is the timing chain on the back that links both camshafts, its making a lot of noise!
Old 09-30-2023, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Opel

Hi, this is my second car, and first on weekends.
It's a german made Opel Rekord Caravan 1971. My grandad bougth it brand new, and I inherited it.
Condition is far than perfect, but I love driving it.
Opel: on quiet nights you can hear it rusting...

https://imgur.com/a/VSykC0s
Old 10-01-2023, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus1969 View Post
Hi, this is my second car, and first on weekends.
It's a german made Opel Rekord Caravan 1971. My grandad bougth it brand new, and I inherited it.
Condition is far than perfect, but I love driving it.
Opel: on quiet nights you can hear it rusting...

https://imgur.com/a/VSykC0s
That car looks pretty nice to me! I think they stole the body lines
from the GM mid size cars. ( Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy.).
At first glance I would guess "Olds Cutlass F85".
BTW what is the motor ? Our old mid-size cars came with in-line 6
or a selection of V8's up to 455 cid & over 400 hp. They could be
hard to control !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 10-02-2023, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
That car looks pretty nice to me! I think they stole the body lines
from the GM mid size cars. ( Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy.).
At first glance I would guess "Olds Cutlass F85".
BTW what is the motor ? Our old mid-size cars came with in-line 6
or a selection of V8's up to 455 cid & over 400 hp. They could be
hard to control !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Sure, being Opel a subsidiary of GM in those years.

The engine is fully designed in Detroit (named CIH, cam in head engine).

The body is german design, with that Coke shape (" Hüftschwung ") , was consider very sexy for european eyes at that time. There was a straigth line body project, fortunally didn't saw the ligth.

There was two series, the simple models, named Rekord with 4 cyl engines and the elegant series named Commodore with 6 cyl engines. Motors from 1500 cc to 2600 cc. Two and four doors sedans, coupes, stwagons, very few convertibles.

I don’t want to bore translating hp to CV, liters, etc, since the soul of a car is not in the cold numbers.
Yes, there were lights cars with an outdated steering and suspension system, but soft to drive, very reliable and economical. In the mid 60s, american cars become too big and expensive here.

"An even more sporty model than the GS, the Commodore GS/E, debuted in March 1970. It had a 2.5 L engine equipped with Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection system developing 150 PS (110 kW), which gave the car a top speed of 197 km/h (122 mph)" (wiki).

After the end of production in Germany, it was made in Brazil, like the Chevrolet Opala ( Opel body - Impala 6 engines), there with others terminations, and more powerful but hungry engines.
In Brazil it was manufactured till early 90s, replacing most of chrome with black plastics.

Mine is an anemic 1700 cc 82 hp four cylinder, four gear manual. When you press the gas pedal, she says: what? Ha, you want go? hahaha. Ok, let's go to get more of your trash TVs and radios.
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2023, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus1969 View Post
Sure, being Opel a subsidiary of GM in those years.

The engine is fully designed in Detroit (named CIH, cam in head engine).

The body is german design, with that Coke shape (" Hüftschwung ") , was consider very sexy for european eyes at that time. There was a straigth line body project, fortunally didn't saw the ligth.

There was two series, the simple models, named Rekord with 4 cyl engines and the elegant series named Commodore with 6 cyl engines. Motors from 1500 cc to 2600 cc. Two and four doors sedans, coupes, stwagons, very few convertibles.

I don’t want to bore translating hp to CV, liters, etc, since the soul of a car is not in the cold numbers.
Yes, there were lights cars with an outdated steering and suspension system, but soft to drive, very reliable and economical. In the mid 60s, american cars become too big and expensive here.

"An even more sporty model than the GS, the Commodore GS/E, debuted in March 1970. It had a 2.5 L engine equipped with Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection system developing 150 PS (110 kW), which gave the car a top speed of 197 km/h (122 mph)" (wiki).

After the end of production in Germany, it was made in Brazil, like the Chevrolet Opala ( Opel body - Impala 6 engines), there with others terminations, and more powerful but hungry engines.
In Brazil it was manufactured till early 90s, replacing most of chrome with black plastics.

Mine is an anemic 1700 cc 82 hp four cylinder, four gear manual. When you press the gas pedal, she says: what? Ha, you want go? hahaha. Ok, let's go to get more of your trash TVs and radios.
Yes, just googling "Caravan Chevrolet Brasil" shows the Brazilian cousin. Some equipped with 4100cc (4.1L) inline 6. Interesting the very close side design for both.
My grandfather had 17 of these Opala's (the sedan version), all with the 4.1L motor.

I drive daily a Chevrolet Omega (brother in England is the Chevrolet Carlton, for example); very robust car. From 1994 and surviving well! Excellent confortably for travels!
My wife have a '73 Beetle, and I also have a '82 Gol with the 1600cc Beetle motor (nicknamed "little kettle" in a direct translation).
Old 10-05-2023, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex KL-1 View Post
Yes, just googling "Caravan Chevrolet Brasil" shows the Brazilian cousin. Some equipped with 4100cc (4.1L) inline 6. Interesting the very close side design for both.
My grandfather had 17 of these Opala's (the sedan version), all with the 4.1L motor.

I drive daily a Chevrolet Omega (brother in England is the Chevrolet Carlton, for example); very robust car. From 1994 and surviving well! Excellent confortably for travels!
My wife have a '73 Beetle, and I also have a '82 Gol with the 1600cc Beetle motor (nicknamed "little kettle" in a direct translation).
What an amazing car is your first VW Gol, must be cool drive a car with the Beetle front engine, air cooled, and front wheel drive. Very noisy?
Here were sold all Gol generations, but starting with the water cooled engine.

Rekord and Opala actually were not cousins, We can say, they were father and sons, and I always thougth that loses some refinamentes crossing the Atlantic, like the tail ligths, rectangular headligths, cockpit, but gained with a stronger suspention system, a more versatile engine, due to lower compression, and thicker steel panels. Opels were horrible with rust.

And the Opel Omega is a "grand routier" an excellent rear wheel drive car, developed mainly for long relaxed trips and many brothers (sisters?) on the world. Sometimes I see an Omega Suprema, (station wagon) black with lowered suspention, and is really cool.
Obrigado.