Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Motorola Minion

This commodore is doing what Non-Durable specialized equipment does for much more $$$$ I actually miss green-only monitors http://hothardware.com/news/battered...to-repair-shop

The C64 my family got without a monitor. I tried many TV's but the best monitor was a 1972 Trinitron 12", so good we invested $100 for a new Sony CRT - still have it too!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a TRS-80 VM-2 Green monochrome monitor as my CCTV monitor at my old house for years. I got lazy when I moved, and left it for the new owners. I kinda wish I could have kept it. I'm such a hoarder, lol.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:58 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Nothing wrong with keeping good things
Old 10-03-2016, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.Time to get a new Mac.

My C64 is somewhere here but the manual is aside of me here.Also the same with the 4 Commodore monitors.They make great video monitors for VCR and any other video device.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.Time to get a new Mac.

My C64 is somewhere here but the manual is aside of me here.Also the same with the 4 Commodore monitors.They make great video monitors for VCR and any other video device.
Vista is, was, and always has been crap. You should look for a cheap install disc for Win 7 or 10 (10 don't like some older video cards though). Win 98 is fossilized dinosaur crap....We had 98 with dial up into ~2006, it was slower than the second coming!...Almost every step in getting that turkey online (and many other things) would take long enough that ya might as well make a sandwich and eat it while you wait....If there are internet connected computers in hell, then they are running 98 with dial up.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin
This commodore is doing what Non-Durable specialized equipment does for much more $$$$ I actually miss green-only monitors
We had one in school and my commodore monitor will go ALL GREEN also......
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

My latest Windoze is 7 ultimate. I run M$ from DOS 3.11 to 7 except win 1,2,3 and DOS upto 7. My preference for the "dungeon" is Linux with three systems awaiting updating. I'm starting to concentrate on my Tandy Coco III. Try multi-user, multitasking. I also have a VIC-20, Commodore 64's, Plus/4, 128 and two A4000's with video toasters.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:40 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by centralradio
I still use my Win98 computer and it runs better then my Vista computer which is the highest version of windows I have here because the newer OS suck.....
Excellent!!

I do hope ya still have her
Old 08-07-2022, 10:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

I had a Commodore 64 years ago, when I lived in a Cleveland suburb. I had the computer set up for amateur packet radio for awhile, but ran into a problem when I accidentally unplugged the packet modem from the computer while the latter was still on. This messed up the computer badly, of course; I had to take it to a local computer repair shop. The computer worked very well after the repairs, but the experience taught me a lesson I knew I would never forget: Do not, under any circumstances, unplug a cable from an operating computer. There is one exception, though, and that applies to USB cables. These can be connected and disconnected while the computer is operating; however, this is the only exception to the rule about connecting or disconnecting cables while the machine is on. Do that with any other connection and you will destroy who knows how many components, literally in the blink of an eye. There are no second chances except, as I said, with USB cables.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Vista is, was, and always has been crap. You should look for a cheap install disc for Win 7 or 10 (10 don't like some older video cards though). Win 98 is fossilized dinosaur crap....We had 98 with dial up into ~2006, it was slower than the second coming!...Almost every step in getting that turkey online (and many other things) would take long enough that ya might as well make a sandwich and eat it while you wait....If there are internet connected computers in hell, then they are running 98 with dial up.
I have a comic strip (B. C.) from an old newspaper which shows one of the characters looking at some turkeys going "gobblegobblegobbleGOOGLEgobble..." The character immediately exclaimed, "Turkeys got search engines!" I liked that comic strip so much I saved it, and still have it to this day. I have another comic strip (Ziggy) I saved from another newspaper some years ago, in which Ziggy was visited by a couple of Martians. One of them looked at Ziggy and promptly said, "Talk about a primitive planet! This poor shlub still has dial-up!" This strip is taped directly below the B. C. strip I just mentioned. Both strips are mounted on the inside of a door covering a small cabinet above my desk.

BTW, I never knew Windows Vista was as bad as you say it is. I have never used that particular operating system (and never will at this point in my life), although I did use Windows 95 and 98 for a long time.

I gave up on all Windows computer OSes several years ago and did not look back. I now use Ubtuntu 18.04 LTS with my Dell OptiPlex 755 computer. Works great with almost every program I've tried it with. I say "almost" because there is one amateur radio related program (the terminal program for packet radio) I used under Windows; however, it simply will not work under Ubuntu, no matter how I try to get it to operate. This is no loss to me, though, since I had to give up most of my ham radio stuff in 1999 when I moved from a three-bedroom house with a basement to a one-bedroom apartment. My current amateur radio activity is on 2-meter FM (I am a member of a local radio club which has a repeater, N8BC/R, so I am not totally off the air), but I have yet to figure out a way to connect my Icom IC-T22A handheld to my computer. I'm sure there is a way to do just that, but if there is, I haven't found it yet.

Oh, well. One of these days . . .

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-07-2022 at 11:10 PM.
Audiokarma