Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
When I started in this hobby, WWV was in Greenbelt, MD, not too far from where I grew up in the Anacostia section of Washington, D.C. Needless to say, it pounded-in like gangbusters on the G.E. P930 AM/SW portable my parents gave me for my birthday.

However, as with all things, WWV itself could be changing. Here is one possibility:

http://www.lownoiserecords.com/wwv_the_tick.html
LMFAO xD

That's some parody.

Although I have noticed the signals from WWV & WWVH sound different if you just use a synchronous AM demodulator & listen to the individual side bands of the signal, They must modulate the carrier in such a way to do this & why is it modulated in that way?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hehehehehe...
Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
<----Zenith C845

I think the whole thing is a joke, and a very unfunny one at that -- after all, WWV is owned and operated by a branch of the U. S. Government and cannot be taken over by Clear Channel, or any other entity for that matter. Second, there may not even be a WWV station anymore after the wildfires near Fort Collins, Colorado, where the station's transmitters and towers are located; those fires may have burned them to little more than huge piles of molen metal and ashes.

VK member W3XWT must have been in ham radio a long time, if he remembers when WWV was in Greenbelt, Maryland; I think that must have been in the '50s or very early '60s. As long as I've been in ham radio (40 years on the 30th of this month), the station has been in Fort Collins, but again, it may be just piles of molten metal and burned wood after the fires. One of the first things I thought of when I first heard the news of the Colorado wildfires (on NBC TV news) was WWV and its four 1kW transmitters and towers. The only thing left of WWV anymore may be NIST's (National Institute of Standards and Technology, formerly the National Bureau of Standards) station in Hawaii, WWVH -- which unfortunately doesn't reach most of the US east of the West Coast. When I had my HF station with its 70-foot all-band dipole, I used to hear WWVH very faintly behind WWV during the latter's silent periods, but never well enough to be of any use to me.

BTW: I heard the live stream of the so-called "new" WWV a few minutes ago, but again, I think the whole thing is a very unfunny joke. The NIST is not going to let its time-and-frequency station be taken over by anyone. The last legitimate change at WWV was when the station was completely automated about 30 years ago.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, I remember hearing a female voice FAINTLY "Behind" WWV on occaision. Figgered it was the Hawaiian version. My FIRST ever foray into SWL was when I was a tadpole of 9, 10, maybe 11-And I picked up CHU at 7-sumpin' or other during the daytime...I was HYPNOTISED by the odd BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP, & the guy announcing "CHU, Canada. Eastern Standard Time, 14 hours, 35 minutes," & then in French. The time stations have an odd beauty all their own...
Old 07-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

W3WXT,

Very good line. WWV in the hands of Clear Channel would not be very different from this bit of humor. Cumulus would figure out how to do it even cheaper.
Audiokarma
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Ordered an owner's/instruction manual from Tucker Electronics in Texas, it is NOT QUITE for my set, but an obviously later model, w/a different front panel. The manual they sent me is dated 1 July 1962, looks to be the same in features, but has a front panel designed by somebody who must have been somewhat of a fan of Virgil Exner, & his heroic Mopar creations... Lotta stuff this bad boi could apparently do, such as calibrating other pieces of test equipment, if I'm reading the manual right...They even made a special antenna for it, 33' long, & the hi-end was sposed to be 11-22' higher than the low end...They showed it mounted on top of a house...Specific Products was apparently located at 21051 Costanso Street in Woodland Hills, California...Wonder what's there now ? Curiouser 'n' curiouser...(grin)
Old 07-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

You just HAD to ask, didn't ya...

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com....group&ct=image

Old 07-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hmmmm...The "Mauve" colored bldg COULD have been a commercial establishment...Maybe the whole area was, & it got re-zoned residential. 50 years ago is a LONG time...
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I gave it some thought, wondering if this was a "cottage" operation...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Could be...I put out an "Info Feeler" on the R-390 line...Maybe SOMEBODY there will see it, & enlighten me...