Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Paint one side like KDAL & the other like WGN. Well, you could!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM
PIONEER Lover :)

What are the odds to get info from one of the guys that used to broadcast from the van?

That's a tough one which way to go for the restoration. I would probably lean towards WGN since it was the original paint scheme and has the Cubs history to go with it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 PM
"I can fix it Grampa"

Very cool old truck!

Vinyl~AT440-MLa~Thorens TD-145 Mk II~Modded Dynaco PAS-3~Adcom GFA 545II~Klipsch Heresy~Ears
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd go for WGN. This would keep it as close to 'original' as when it rolled into Chicago for its first day on the job.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Think I'd go back original, because of the rarity of the vehicle. It is, after all, nearly 60 yrs old....
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke View Post
Hello Everyone!

First I want to thank you Al, for the picture of this van! Do you know about when this picture was taken?
I took that picture in the summer of 1967. During the time KDAL had the van it was parked in a rented garage near the TV studios.

I tried to look at the pictures in your original post Juian, but it says that page is not available.

I'm biased of course, but the KDAL paint is what I'd favor. I did work for WGN for a few months after I left KDAL but then took a job with DEC. If that truck could tell stories you would really hear some good ones.

Al

Last edited by ccsial; 03-29-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Paint one side like KDAL & the other like WGN. Well, you could!
maybe I'M crazy too, but this doesn't sound like such a bad idea!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would try to contact WGN for any help. I did try to contact my WGN baseball producer friend and got a "out of office" email saying he is not there anymore. Such is the problem of bankruptcy at the Tribune. I will email him directly to see if he has any ideas.

This truck has to be the beginning of one Arnie Harris, WGN baseball producer/director for as long as I can remember and a long-time friend until his passing.

My vote is WGN. World's Greatest Newspaper.

Dave A
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never thought of doing one side of each but that may not be such a bad idea considering. It would then appeal to all who were associated with it. I want to do the WGN but it has a history of KDAL which is a sister station of the original. I want to do it right and would prefer to do it all on one but since it is an important van, one side of each could possibly do the job and with it on display, I think people would understand. Thank you Bryan for the idea! The other posting telling about radio vans with more than one logo is nothing unusual as well.

Here in Knoxville we have many radio stations and one group owns I think 6 of them and another about 5. Their parking lot (down from my main warehouse) looks like a used car lot for radio vans. Nowadays what is a radio van anyway? Not much more than just a traveling billboard for the station. What can it do besides a good handheld? ---not much! I love this van that I have and besides, it is a 1952 Dodge Route Van! When was the last time you saw one? Or ever saw one? Going into Dodge history reveals that not many were built-some in the 30 or so bracket. Body parts will be hard to find as it is a lonely one. (like us!)

It is interesting and very unusual that I am able to talk to pretty much all of the people who were involved with it on the KDAL side. (so far three, or was it four?) I haven't found anyone yet on the WGN side. In the top of the cab there is a "glove compartment" and hanging in there with a piece of tape was a business card with Harrisons' name on it. (printed, not written!) I was able to contact him and he told me much as well as its' WGN history. I'm sure that this is a first and breaking new ground with old history!! I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I bought that expensive large book from evilbay on the history of WGN. With over 200 pictures and no reference to this van. I'm sure something will turn up. So far , Al (CCSIAL) is the only one who has come forward with an "original" picture. Thank you again Al!

BTW, my wife had changed all of the picures to a different shell website and I think I got most of them back on the original posting. I didn't know she had done this and I couldn't figure out what happened myself. (clickable URL's)

Last edited by julianburke; 03-31-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking you could do the hood and one side for one station, back and other side for the second.

There is a local radio station group that runs a small remote van painted in 2 schemes, one side is yellow and advertises their country station, the other is black and promotes their oldies outlet. Shows up in all the parades. A few years back we painted a vintage race car for a fellow; he wanted to match the scheme on a car he owned in the 60s, but he never really liked it. So, we painted one side like the old one and the other was done up the way he always wanted it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's also a very good idea! I'll keep that one in mind as well.