Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony XBR Questions

I have a Sony XBR widescreen CRT HDTV, and when I went to turn it on this past Saturday, it wouldn't power up. The red "timer/standby" LED blinked in succession 20 or 21 times for the two instances I tried to turn it on.

I have the official Sony service manual for my model, and see that the self-diagnostics give statuses for up to 7 blinks, but nothing more.

I found a tidbit of info on the Sony website recommending to unplug the power cord to the set for a little while and then plug it back in. I tried that and the set has worked ever since, but I am wondering what the problem could have been, and/or if this is a symptom that is indicative of something that needs to be addressed/fixed.

Also, I am considering purchasing a set of boards for this set to have as spares. Does anyone have any good sources for new/refurbished Sony boards to recommend?

Thank you!
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Administrator

TV's today are basically Computers, Computers sometime lock up for reasons unknown and have to be reset, I suspect that's all that happened to yours.

I run my Panasonic off an uninterruptible power supply to filter out the surges and brown outs in the AC Supply, I don't know if that would help but it can't hurt.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 PM
M is for Memory

I've had such a set for ~5 months. In the first month or so it did the same thing yours did then was back to normal after being unplugged a few min. It has not relapsed yet so I'd say it was probably a microprocessor glitch that needed a reset...Remember that the CPUs and code in most consumer gear are not designed continuously forever without crashing and needing a reboot.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-06-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had mine for almost 9 years (5 years on a UPS) and never had an issue. I'm content if it was just a one-off peculiarity.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Anything beyond 5 blinks on a Sony is power related - but with NO MODEL NUMBER posted, you'll get nuthin' from me.

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...65&postcount=1

Sony made over 370 XBR models (just the index in the ESI software, there may be more)

You gotta give us some meat. Some of us have beaucoup experience with Sonys and could offer help....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hopefully it was micro lock-up........

BUT these sets had one fatal weak point. If yours is one it
uses 2 identical IC's. One in the STBY power supply & another
in the RUN power supply. They fail left & right.
Symptoms are dead set and or hard starting getting worse with time.
I had the 30" model & the 4th set went bad in 5 yrs. There was never a cure from Sony. The spare boards were all used up in < a year IIRC.
Fix is to replace BOTH IC's & install IC sockets so you can swap
them fast next time. One last thing is to watch out for bootleg IC's.
Ask around for advice before ordering any.

Good luck with the set. IMHO it had the best pix on any set ever.
I sure miss mine.....

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 04-24-2017, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Anything beyond 5 blinks on a Sony is power related - but with NO MODEL NUMBER posted, you'll get nuthin' from me.

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...65&postcount=1

Sony made over 370 XBR models (just the index in the ESI software, there may be more)

You gotta give us some meat. Some of us have beaucoup experience with Sonys and could offer help....

Sure thing -- I apologize for leaving that out.

It is a KD-34XBR970.

I would love to get as much information as I can about it.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

This went out on my KV25XBR back when there were TV repair shops. Not seen much use in the last 10 years, but so far so good. Have a parts set...

Chip
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Followin' the Rules...

EDIT: OOPs! Wrong series of chassis - huge difference in what my train of thought was. Your set uses the MCZ3001DB....I've always found it best to swap the D board, or go for the chip swap, but socket them and get spares.....

Genuine MX0841's ain't cheap no more:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/...or_Mx0841-ab-f

Nor are the MCZ3001DB chips:

https://www.encompassparts.com/item/...1/Ic_Mcz3001db

I depleted my supply of them long ago - I still have two 2SC4834s for the smaller screen stuff.....

Those two chips are why I've junked more Sonys in the last 4 years. You can't go cheap with anything but the genuine Sony parts - the Chinese have mastered the fakes, and they don't hold up.

The ESI disc has a service bulletin for finding true MX0841's using capacitance of all things - the C-E junction has to have a certain picofarad value. Of 7 I had, only 3 checked out OK - the rest were obvious fakes already, but it validated the capacitance check as a way to rule out the fakes. I never got a fake from Tritronics (now Encompass, aka a Wall-Street-Run parts place....)

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 04-24-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the information. I will stock up on some ICs. Briefly, what is the function of the MCZ3001DB?

Also, would you be able to share any relevant service bulletins? (Or point me to a resource to purchase, if it's proprietary/copyrighted).

Thank you!
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

The IC's are part of power supply supplies. As mentioned earlier, be careful! No buying from our favorite auction site. The fake ones can fail rapidly or, in some cases, cause plenty of smoke, noise and sparks. I junked my super fine pitch 34' because of the chips. It was an incredible set when it worked!
And theft proof!
Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
The IC's are part of power supply supplies. As mentioned earlier, be careful! No buying from our favorite auction site. The fake ones can fail rapidly or, in some cases, cause plenty of smoke, noise and sparks. I junked my super fine pitch 34' because of the chips. It was an incredible set when it worked!

And theft proof!

I ordered some from Encompass Parts -- hoping they are genuine.

Out of curiosity, what is the manufacturer of the genuine chips? The photo on the Encompass website shows "Shendengen" on the chip -- is that legitimate?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
You can't go by manufacturer because the counterfeiters mark them with the name brand. Sometimes a careful side by side comparison to a known genuine part will reveal a counterfeit, but it's not conclusive. Sometimes the genuine manufacturers change their markings, and some of the counterfeits look really good.
Encompass (the old Tritronics) sources their stuff from Sony. They are ISO Supply-Chain certified and anti-counterfeit/gray market certified as well. Just expensive, unlike the old TriTronics. We could call and get the same sales lady each time, but not so now. Tritronics, MAT, MCM (pre-Premier/Farnell), ASTI, and Fox were all the independent dealer needed back in the late 80s/90s/00s.....enter Orion and Funai and splat! No support or accessibility.

And yes, Shendengen made the originals.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

the last i got from encompass was junk and went up in a fit of sparks. and encompass would not warranty them i no longer buy ANYTHING from encompass.
Audiokarma