Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Mark

Yep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10433898_1518511601710610_4092237705004050213_a.jpg (6.7 KB, 7 views)
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

In your opinion.

I rarely will buy anything restored by someone else and especially when I see a boatload of yellow Chinese caps which look more at home in a transistor radio. The quality of the workmanship is a huge variable and entirely dependant upon the credentials and skill of the restorer. Phil has the credentials but I would not be a buyer for his CT100 when it eventually does come up for sale and I would like to find a nice one. I can watch Wizard of Oz on something else.

Last edited by Rusty34; 04-26-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:54 AM
Not sure how I got here.

He's right you know.......
The choice of parts used is important. And it does matter as to the skills
of the restorer a lot. I would rather have an untouched set, than one
restored by someone.....

Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is the set listed one of Ed's? If so, I saw it at his house years ago, but he didn't turn it on. I did get to see the CBS color wheel set in operation, and an early RCA B&W projection set. Both had fantastic pictures. Ed's house isn't far from mine, and I've wondered what's going to become of his sets. He was a really nice person, and I was glad to have met him.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
Is the set listed one of Ed's? If so, I saw it at his house years ago, but he didn't turn it on. I did get to see the CBS color wheel set in operation, and an early RCA B&W projection set. Both had fantastic pictures. Ed's house isn't far from mine, and I've wondered what's going to become of his sets. He was a really nice person, and I was glad to have met him.
See lots 510 & 511: http://www.earlytelevision.org/reitan_auction.html
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2015, 02:32 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
In your opinion.

I rarely will buy anything restored by someone else and especially when I see a boatload of yellow Chinese caps which look more at home in a transistor radio. The quality of the workmanship is a huge variable and entirely dependant upon the credentials and skill of the restorer. Phil has the credentials but I would not be a buyer for his CT100 when it eventually does come up for sale and I would like to find a nice one. I can watch Wizard of Oz on something else.
Those yellow chinese caps are great parts IMO I've been using them for close to 15 years and none of my early radio projects (which I've been into longer) have had a single problem related to those caps. As long as your not enough of a clod to melt the plastic with your iron, or subject them to more than their ratings they are light years ahead of the wax papers in something like a CT-100.
I personally like restored sets. Most work, especially by those who do TVs, is as neat as factory. Also on large projects I tend to hit burnout. If I had to restore a CT-100 I'd probably get burned out bad enough getting it to work watchably well, and sit on it that way until repair became necessary or I got back motivation. Something that has been pre-restored I can focus on that energy getting absolutely perfect. Also sets that complex require regular maintenance so you'll inevitably get 'under the hood' at some point.

I like to restuff caps on sets that I feel are worth the effort, and personally I see no reason why anyone would care about the wax/foil roll still being inside. If someone wants to learn about what made wax caps tick I'm sure they will be able to find those caps loose many decades from now.....Hell I've got about a shopping bags worth that I've saved from sets I've worked on.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Those yellow chinese caps are great parts IMO I've been using them for close to 15 years and none of my early radio projects (which I've been into longer) have had a single problem related to those caps. As long as your not enough of a clod to melt the plastic with your iron, or subject them to more than their ratings they are light years ahead of the wax papers in something like a CT-100.
I personally like restored sets. Most work, especially by those who do TVs, is as neat as factory. Also on large projects I tend to hit burnout. If I had to restore a CT-100 I'd probably get burned out bad enough getting it to work watchably well, and sit on it that way until repair became necessary or I got back motivation. Something that has been pre-restored I can focus on that energy getting absolutely perfect. Also sets that complex require regular maintenance so you'll inevitably get 'under the hood' at some point.

I like to restuff caps on sets that I feel are worth the effort, and personally I see no reason why anyone would care about the wax/foil roll still being inside. If someone wants to learn about what made wax caps tick I'm sure they will be able to find those caps loose many decades from now.....Hell I've got about a shopping bags worth that I've saved from sets I've worked on.
I finally got my order through Capacitor World and I really like the caps, they are selling. The film type are the Brown drop type and the electros are the radial lead type, ideal for can-restuffing. I'm going to restuff the can electrolytics on my 621TS, as it makes for a lot neater job.
I, like Tom C never had any trouble with the yellow caps, but I feel, the appearence of my restoration on the old RCA, will look better with the browndrops. I'm not going to restuff the papers. That's a little radical.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just had one of those brown drops give me a whole bunch of grief on a Philco Predicta I was working on. It was in the vertical circuit and was marked .0033uf and measured .044uf. That is the first modern cap I have ever had a problem with and I have installed thousands. I mostly use the yellow plastics but got a few of these from a fellow collector.

Gregb
Old 04-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I honestly have never re-capped ANYTHING, I don't know HOW, have HUGE, arthritic hands & I doubt I'll ever learn, at this rather late stage in my life. That being said, I've read of lots of stories here, over at AK, & elsewhere, about what an onerous, tedious task it is. NOBODY apparently likes doing it, so therefore, it would seem to me that if you absolutely HAVE to undertake such a thankless task, that one would install the FINEST caps that are available, so that one would hopefully NOT have to undertake such nonsense again. Also, because CT-100s ARE so rare & valuable, it would behoove a restorer to install the finest replacement parts available-Just in case.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
M is for Memory

It ain't so bad and hard unless you have something with a high cap count. Just match or approximate the values (and get the polarity of lytics right) of original and replacement, and it becomes a soldering job from there.

I've said a few times that "I could teach a literate monkey how to recap".

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
It ain't so bad and hard unless you have something with a high cap count. Just match or approximate the values (and get the polarity of lytics right) of original and replacement, and it becomes a soldering job from there.

Ditto - restuffing so it looks original is more involved, but simple functional recapping not very.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:

Yeah, well, you likely haven't ever run into a Monkey who is as STUPID, & CLUELESS as Moi... (Grin)
Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Workin' Late Again

I'm not aware of a single original US brand name that's currently manufacturing caps in the USA? Possibly there's a couple of boutique garage based operations hand winding audiophile caps, but who would want those in a TV?

But it would be pretty easy to change the color of the wrapper. Probably anyone with the money burning a hole in their pocket could call up China and ask to have a few million made to order.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
I'm not aware of a single original US brand name that's currently manufacturing caps in the USA? Possibly there's a couple of boutique garage based operations hand winding audiophile caps, but who would want those in a TV?

But it would be pretty easy to change the color of the wrapper. Probably anyone with the money burning a hole in their pocket could call up China and ask to have a few million made to order.
Aren't Orange drop capacitors still made in the USA?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe "orange drops" are made in China now and not only that but bootleg or counterfeit orange drops as well. I have also heard manufacturing of conventional capacitors as we know them will be ending soon as replacement surface mount components take over.
Audiokarma