Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Believe that means open. To be sure, set your meter on continuity check....if it beeps for a complete connection, it's shorted.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

if that 16$ cap tester is a modern DMM type then i would say its pretty much useless for vintage cap testing. look up you tube vintage cap tester, lots of good info.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM
On Land

Dave is right... the digital tester is giving you a reading of the cap's value... but not while under a load. No load, or just a light load, you can easily end up with a reading that looks to be okay... when really, it isn't. With a vintage tester, you can test the cap under similar conditions that it would be in the TV chassis.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
if that 16$ cap tester is a modern DMM type then i would say its pretty much useless for vintage cap testing. look up you tube vintage cap tester, lots of good info.
cap tester is for checking film cap after they have been pulled.

Multimeter is for ohms/resistors
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Dave is right... the digital tester is giving you a reading of the cap's value... but not while under a load. No load, or just a light load, you can easily end up with a reading that looks to be okay... when really, it isn't. With a vintage tester, you can test the cap under similar conditions that it would be in the TV chassis.
That's why i'm recapping the whole chassis
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2013, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

why are you checking them after pulling if you are not intending to use them? (whats the point in testing for value)

recapping the whole chassis is a big waste time and likely to create problems.

Most caps on the set from that era will be fine.

The correct procedure is to check to see if it works as is (keeping an eye on the power supply caps). If that ok and you feel the need you can change the cans, although they have a good chance of being ok. a vintage cap tester would help in that analysis, the thing you got will not.

After the check out IF there are problems you can use a vintage cap tester and with some understanding of how things work you can quickly isolate the area, check the cap, replace and be done without needless work.

Last edited by DaveWM; 08-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
why are you checking them after pulling if you are not intending to use them? (whats the point in testing for value)

The correct procedure is to check to see if it works as is (keeping an eye on the power supply caps). If that ok and you feel the need you can change the cans, although they have a good chance of being ok. a vintage cap tester would help in that analysis, the thing you got will not.

After the check out IF there are problems you can use a vintage cap tester and with some understanding of how things work you can quickly isolate the area, check the cap, replace and be done without needless work.

But yet u upload videos showing FILM caps in sets that have gone bad. Dude at my age, i don't have the time or desire to learn tv repair theory

Last edited by technicolor; 08-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

right... after I diagnose the problem. Look if you want to just replace them its your set if that make you happy go for it.

and be ready to foul it up in the process.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
right... after I diagnose the problem. Look if you want to just replace them its your set if that make you happy go for it.

and be ready to foul it up in the process.
What is the aversion to replacing caps? I'm not following this.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

because you will likely mess it up, wholesale replacement of caps by a newb will likely introduce more problems than it will fix. I feel I am wasting my time with this so like I said if it make you happy by all means do it. If you make a mistake it is MUCH harder to correct, even for those of us that have a clue about how tv's work, so get that solder wick out and go nutz.

sorry if that come across abrasive, I just don't like having to defend my logic to someone that self identifies as have little knowledge and is not really interested in learning from what I tell them.
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
because you will likely mess it up, wholesale replacement of caps by a newb will likely introduce more problems than it will fix. I feel I am wasting my time with this so like I said if it make you happy by all means do it. If you make a mistake it is MUCH harder to correct, even for those of us that have a clue about how tv's work, so get that solder wick out and go nutz.

sorry if that come across abrasive, I just don't like having to defend my logic to someone that self identifies as have little knowledge and is not really interested in learning from what I tell them.
Just asked a question, no need to go off the deep end. And i'm not ashamed or embarassed to say i don't know what i'm doing. Would be an asshole if i pretended i did.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

not of the deep end what ever that means just frustrated when I try to tell newbs how to do things and it get ignored, no prob have fun

in case you missed how to do things mean this

and you dont need to learn a lot if a problem surfaces, that's why you come here. Now if you replace every cap in the set and then come here with a problem... well it becomes much more difficult to help you.

Last edited by DaveWM; 08-15-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
not of the deep end what ever that means just frustrated when I try to tell newbs how to do things and it get ignored, no prob have fun

Not ignoring you, you obviously know what your doing.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice retort.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
nice retort.
what retort????? lol

I'm glad u saw that though.
Audiokarma