Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Homemade low power TV transmitter?

The end of broadcast TV is nearing, and come 2009, all of our sets will be forever stuck on channel 3, with some digital converter box. I am curious how hard it would be to build a low power, "housewide" TV transmitter. I don't know what the FCC rules on transmitting television are/will be, but is it possible or legal to build or buy some sort of small transmitter so that you could broadcast to all your old sets?

Imagine, a transmitter for each of five channels, broadcasting tapes (or re-broadcasting your favorite channels) on the standard analog TV band, so that all the sets in your house could use their own tuners! It's ambitious, to say the least. Having no knowledege of television transmission, I figured I'd post and ask the experts what they think.

Or, avoiding over the air broadcast, if you had some sort of modulator that could produce a signal on TV channels (more than just the normal 3 and 4) at suitable power to be cabled directly to all your sets, you could create your own, in-home cable network. That might be a better idea. No worries about broadcast license/rules, and everything nice and self contained.

Seeming as though I only watch a couple of cable chanels, it would be great if I could "remodulate" them, and send them out to a run of cable to all my sets, and have 12 channels that are all things I want to watch, or close to it. (Sci-fi, TV-Land, Discovery, etc).

Any ideas?

-Ian
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM
AK member

In theory, the output of any common low power RF modulator could be hooked to a ham radio type linear amplifier and sent far and wide. The frequency of channel 3 which is 60-66 mhz would be slightly out of the ideal tuned range of such a linear amp and probably quite attenuated. But I bet anything you would get a noise free picture in the house. Problem is the transmit antenna design and the outright total illegality of it all. Your other idea of using a RF distribution amp and stringing wires is much safer but not as much fun. Linear amps were popular in the 40s and 50s until complaints from people who could not hear their table radios or watch their TVs brought FCC scrutiny and enforcement actions. I bet it would be quite hard to find one in working order. Plans for making your own are probably out there somewhere and would not involve huge expense for the parts. I salute you for seeking creative solution. --Tom in Tucson
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

The FCC allows a maximum radiated power of 100 mw. This won't cover a whole house, but will work within a rooom. You can find devices that broadcast TV on ch 3. with that power on Ebay.

It is very easy to connect sets using coaxial cable and splitters. Hook your channel 3 signal source to one of the 20 db VHF amplifiers that are sold at Radio Shack and you will have plenty of signal to feed at least 16 sets.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy
The FCC allows a maximum radiated power of 100 mw. This won't cover a whole house, but will work within a rooom. You can find devices that broadcast TV on ch 3. with that power on Ebay.
Ah. I knew that there was a limit, but wasn't sure what it was. Not enough for a whole house, so it probably won't be too useful for this particular application. I'll have to go with cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy
It is very easy to connect sets using coaxial cable and splitters. Hook your channel 3 signal source to one of the 20 db VHF amplifiers that are sold at Radio Shack and you will have plenty of signal to feed at least 16 sets.
Good to know. I have never tried to drive more than two sets off one VCR before, so I wasn't sure what limitations I'd run into. The big question is if it's possible to modulate signals on other channels, and run them all together. The different signals should all be able to share the cable and amplifier, since that's what they are meant for, but how to generate them? Is it possible to modify a normal RF modulator to run on, say, channel 12 for instance?

If such hardware could be created or obtained, then you could have a stack of gear in the basement - 12 tuners(or DTV converter boxes), 12 modulators and an amplifier, and have a full spectrum of VHF channels available, sourced from 12 different cable channels/digital TV channels, etc. Feed it through the house using the standard cable lines. Then, you could hook up all your old sets, and just use the standard VHF tuner to choose the "station".

-Ian
Old 01-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Listen...

I don't believe that the cable company would be thrilled to know that their signal is split into several different TV units throughout the house.

I'm pretty sure that the cable box is for ONE TV and if you want to watch cable (different channel) on another TV they will offer you a second TV discount and a second box.

If you want the hook up several TVs in series and watch the same channel on all of them (just in different rooms) then that ought to be fairly easy with a spliter (and perhaps a signal apmplifier), but I wouldn't advertise that to the cable co.

Splitting the signal into separate channels would be considered theft of service subject to a 3am visit by the Feral Broadcast Inquisitor Gestapo resulting in your mysterious dissapearance.
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisOne
I don't believe that the cable company would be thrilled to know that their signal is split into several different TV units throughout the house.
I don't see why it makes any difference to the cable company. It's not like they own or rent cable boxes. I mean, everything these days already has a cable tuner in it. And the tuners I would be using would probably just be old VCR's. (Pretty much what I do now). The only difference would be that now, instead of being on top of the TV, it would be in the basement. Connected through a long cable.

Likewise, if you chose to do this with digital television, you'd own the converter box, and it would be hooked up to a roof antenna. Provided that you didn't somehow wind up with more than your alotted two $40 off coupons, it doesn't matter what you do with your new digital TV converter box, or how many of them you buy.

Really, the only deviation I'm suggesting is a way of modulating the signal on something other than just channel 3 or channel 4. And, if done through a cable and not over the air, there would be no "broadcasting", so therefore no FCC problems.

-Ian
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
AK member

The idea of modifying toy modulators (and that is really all they are) to run on the gamut of VHF band is a daunting task. The higher up you go in frequency, the more problematic it all becomes to get good clean well-modulated wideband color video on the antenna outputs. Industrial gear that already does this will soon be taken off the market, I suspect; but if you can find some used modulators such that the cable companies themselves or hotels might use, great. I am not sure how you would combine them on a single wire but again, there are likely combiners to do this in the used industrial arena.
I am the same person who speculated earlier about using a ham linear amp to beef up a toy modulator but on reflection, I caution that the transmit antenna and waveguide will be problematic for the amateur to rig up. Even if the linear amp could produce a big clean signal, it will be hard to load it properly while achieving wideband radiation. There is such a thing as ham TV and this would be the arena to find adaptable gear and expert advice.
--Tom
Old 01-04-2008, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
You can also buy kits. A Google search should turn them up.

I would not recommend the Ramsey kit. I built one a few years ago. The signal quality was abysmal, and the usable range was more like 3 feet than the claimed 300 feet.

Last year, I bought a Recoton video sender. Not really a TV transmitter, since it has receiving and transmitting units, and requires an RF modulator on the receiving end. It works OK in the same room, but the usable range is, again, far less than the manufacturer claims, which sort of defeats the purpose. If your range is 10 feet, you might as well just move your TV 10 feet closer to the source and make a direct connection.

If anyone knows of a better quality video sender, I'd love to hear about it. I would like to be able to tune a station on our satellite TV box and relay it to my workshop in the garage.

Splitters can't be used here. Our system detects them somehow and blocks the signal. When they installed the system, it wouldn't work at all in one room. The guys finally discovered an old splitter with an unused branch of coax in the crawl space under that room. (We used some existing wiring from a previous antenna system in the attic.)

Phil Nelson
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Cory Heisterkamp

I remember back in the 80's when cable ready receivers were making their debut and the cable company didn't take kindly to multiple in-house sets but I'm surprised to hear that mentality is still around today

I was doing some searching this morning before I stumbled upon this great thread and discovered "multi-channel" RF modulators capable of transmitting 2, 3, even 4 or 5 channels simultaneously over one coax, all from individual component inputs. The whole thing is digitally set up so you can configure the inputs to whatever channel you'd like, but it's a pricey affair at several hundred bucks.

Guess where I found it? None other than an audio/video security site, likely targetted so you can check multiple cameras over your in-house cable system. Just add digital converters (and maybe a dvd player for an in-house classics channel of your own) and you're set!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
You can also buy kits. A Google search should turn them up.

I would not recommend the Ramsey kit. I built one a few years ago. The signal quality was abysmal, and the usable range was more like 3 feet than the claimed 300 feet.
The TV6C? Yeah I had one too. With a few modifications I averaged about 25 feet signal range... Fried the transistor on it. That transistor gets hot as hell. Thing needs a heatsink on it.

Also, I couldn't get the damn thing to tune to channels 5 or 6 despite the kits claims that it could.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

VCR modulators and similar cheap ones invade the lower adjacent channel, as they don't supress some of the lower sideband. Analog NTSC RF TV has the picture carrier 1.25MHz above the bottom end of the TV channel's 6Mhz of bandwidth. The sound is an FM carrier 1.25 + 4.5 MHz above the bottom edge of the TV channel. The video is AM modulated on teh picture carrier, with the sync tip at max modulation, black level a little lower than that, to white which is about 10% of sync tip. Real TV stations filter the lower sideband to stop at the bottom of the TV channel. Which requires a special filter, and this is the part VCR modulators leave out. As VCR modulators on channel 3 expect to feed nothing but a TV set tuned to channel 3, and not channel 2 when the modulator is on. But if you fed the VCR modulator into a splitter to combine it with a cable or antenna feed that has a channel 2 but an empty channel 3, oh, you would get a usable reception on channel 3, but channel 2 would be trashed by the unsupressed lower sideband of the channel 3 modulator.

Assuming that you can lay hands on some simple cheap Tv modulators that you can change the picture carrier frequency on, you'd have to put each on every other TV channel. Like 2,4,6,7,9,11,13. 6 is not adjacent to 7. To create your own analog CATV head end to feed your analog TV sets via coax.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHacker View Post
I don't see why it makes any difference to the cable company. It's not like they own or rent cable boxes.
Here is what Northlan Cable says about it on their website:

• How many television sets can I connect to digital cable?
You can connect to digital cable to any number of TVs in your home for a low fee per month for each additional TV. Alternatively, you can receive the Deluxe Basic lineup on each additional TV for no charge and without any additional equipment.
• Do I need a separate digital cable box for every TV?
No. You only need a digital cable box if you wish to view the channels above 99 or would like to use the digital guide.

Here is what Optimum says about a Theft of Service

Cable television theft is the illegal interception of cable programming services without the express authorization of, or payment to, a cable television system. There are two types of cable theft, passive and active. An example of passive theft is when a potential customer moves into a home, finds the cable service is on, but does not notify the cable company. Active theft occurs when someone knowingly and willfully makes an illegal physical connection to the cable system and/or attaches or tampers with equipment to allow the receipt of unauthorized services. Active theft can occur at either a consumer or commercial level. Commercial theft usually happens in an environment where the proprietor receives financial gains from the illegal services (i.e. a bar or restaurant).

Here is whare you can read about cable TV regulations:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/csgen.html
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been looking at this unit...shown from ebay for info purposes only;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ChannelPlus-Mode...QQcmdZViewItem

It takes four inputs and can frequency synthesize your choice of four output channels within it's range. This unit is fine by itself if you want to cable all your sets individually. To add it to your existing cable, you need their insertion box which adds the output to a cable pass-through signal. It has four DA outputs I think. Search more for this info.

You might be able to use a splitter in reverse combining the incoming cable and Channelplus output on the output sides of a splitter and the input side then going to your main cable house wiring without the four output pass-through DA box. This would depend on signal strength needed around your house.

Using their insertion box, you would then assign your DVD, nannycam, laserdisc, etc. to unused channels on your cable feed. They have a variety of boxes for one or more channels. Obviously, the feed would have to hit a cable-ready device like a orphan VHS for a tuner and then on Ch 3 or 4 to your vintage set. In my case, cable channels 2 and 5 are open and would not need a tuner.

Anyone else ever try these boxes?

Dave A
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, but they're not as good as a good, so-called dedicated modulator. Dedicated as being dedicated to one channel. If you want to do it right, use something like a Pico commercial grade modulator, like a PCM-55, costs around $50 each. It puts out like 55 db and is adjustible. At that rate, you can power ALL your sets. Mount the ones you want in a rack mount or build your own. You won't believe the strong, clear signals!
Audiokarma