Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm glad to hear the good press on the older Weller soldering guns. I guess I didn't really know what I nice gift my girlfriend bought me. Yep, the same woman who would LOVE to see the Zenith in the kitchen vaporize as well as the 5 other sets that she widdled me down to. Actually, she does see some charm in a 1950 RCA TC-127 in the living room, so it may have hope of a long and healthy life.

But she brought home this Weller in it's factory gray case with a nice piece of period advertisement inside the cover as well as the Styrofoam insert that seems impossible to pack it in. Actually, I think it broke in two on my last attempt, so I keep the gun on the shelf. We have a newer one at work that is the same size, but feels like a toy in your hand compared to the old one. Great stuff!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:33 AM
M is for Memory

I was able to find 3 used 6GH8s that test as good as new and a NOS 5GH8 (which should not mind an extra volt on the heater from a transformer powered set).
I'm trying to scare up some 6KT8s too...I found 3 that were less than great, but I've only searched a fraction of my unsorted stock of that era of tube so far.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I was able to find 3 used 6GH8s that test as good as new and a NOS 5GH8 (which should not mind an extra volt on the heater from a transformer powered set).
I'm trying to scare up some 6KT8s too...I found 3 that were less than great, but I've only searched a fraction of my unsorted stock of that era of tube so far.
Anything helps and thanks. Don't put yourself out too much searching through tubes. That 5GH8 may be what the set needs. Exactly right on the extra volt. It may be what the set needs right now as I continue to run on reduced line voltage to control HO cathode current. I am at about 110VAC right now. It seems to get a little better with time as do a lot of dormant electronics I have dealt with. You get past the initial phase of feeling good powering up without hot caps and transformers and then you can let a device sort of "reform" its self.

That term "reform" is probably what goes on really. A decades long dormant set gets playtime and the caps (if they made it that far) may sort of reform or rejuvenate themselves. Some people don't believe it, but I have seen it many many times. I heard these 60s color sets, particularly Zeniths' often come back from the dead like new. That's more or less what happened with mine. I put a new cap across the horizontal efficiency coil as I was installing it anyway and will likely replace the coupling caps in the same circuit. That's about it....