Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some of the hams around here have antennas so big they scrape the bottom of the bridges, lol, and they are mounted to the bumper!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Haha yea, gotta have that 5/8 wave HF you know. I'm just using a 1/4 wave VHF antenna primarily. In the trunk I have a 5/8 wave tucked for safety, in case of an emergency.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post

(PS to those curious about glass mounted antennas, don't bother. Transmitting may work halfway decent, but receiving sucks).
Actually I have had excellent results with a Larsen KG 2/70 glass mount antenna. A properly designed glass mount should act like a series capacitor with the antenna.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rad3.jpg (60.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm, I'll need to double check what's going on then, TX is reasonable but RX is weak. I wonder if it's the defroster lines causing issue. It's up high enough I can just cut those lines out with a razor because you can't see it from the rear view mirror anyway.

I forget who makes this particular antenna, it was at my local Orlando Hamcation that I got it from a year ago, when I also bought a quad band transceiver for the house.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

XMIT ok but receive weak... could be the conductive heater elements. You would have to completely remove those from the glass where it mounts.
Then again, there ARE some crappy glass mount antennas.
Audiokarma
Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
Some of the hams around here have antennas so big they scrape the bottom of the bridges, lol, and they are mounted to the bumper!
Mine bumps the overhead check at the McDonalds and has to be folded when I drive into parking garages.

I had to move it from where I originally wanted on the roof because it was hitting the trolley lines.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
XMIT ok but receive weak... could be the conductive heater elements. You would have to completely remove those from the glass where it mounts.
Then again, there ARE some crappy glass mount antennas.
Just got done removing the lines on the upper area where those antennas are, completely with a razor. Put new adhesive on the inside part and stuck it back on. RX is much much better. So yea, had to scrape them off.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was great working the holidays. The money was really great, 2.5X hourly.
New years didn't make that much difference, but Christmas Eve was sacred to me and my family.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 2 cents....The cop probably thought you were trying to impersonate an officer. The fact he saw 3 antennas was most likely the giveaway. Had you only had 2, he might have not said anything.

I've heard that scanner useage is legal if you're a licensed amateur. Though I have not confirmed that. (I don't have a scanner anyways).

I don't know what to make of him not wanting to see your ticket, other than he's obviously ignorant.

Oh well, you can't stop him from citing you, but you can fight it and sometimes win.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Scanners... around here they have all switched over to the Harris P25 digital system which is encrypted and cannot be scanned with any conventional scanner. I have several trunk tracker scanners that are useless now. Happened last August.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2017, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Scanners... around here they have all switched over to the Harris P25 digital system which is encrypted and cannot be scanned with any conventional scanner. I have several trunk tracker scanners that are useless now. Happened last August.
They are honestly digital here, but using SDR# and some software on Windows, you can decrypt it pretty easily, and it does work rather well, but I use that in the house off the attic antenna, since I don't feel like lugging a laptop in my car, then it may just in fact look too much like a cop which is clearly not my intent.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
They are honestly digital here, but using SDR# and some software on Windows, you can decrypt it pretty easily ..
I need to research it further. From what I understand (which ain't much!) there are two modes those can operate one being highly encrypted.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea you'll need to research it, I have no idea honestly what mode my PD is using, but it decrypts it in mere miliseconds.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are many streaming audio 'stations' with scanners from various entities. Don't know how much delay is involved. No antenna farm required.

Chip
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
There are many streaming audio 'stations' with scanners from various entities.

Chip
Those have been inactive for my area since last August when they switched to digital encryption. Someone would have to optain one of those Harris radios that is authorized to monitor the radio traffic before it can be streamed. That ain't going to happen.
Audiokarma