Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-30-2023, 01:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,
Hi Pjaska,

I agree with JohnCT's comments, these 5" color TVs with in-line tubes have no barrel or pincushion adjustments.

I have a personal fondness for tiny Color sets & collect many.

Due to extreme forum file size limitations, i unfortunately cannot post any of the service manuals i archived (pdf) but if you send me a PM with a mail address, i can send you some & you can see for yourself the "fiddling" procedures to obtain a visually acceptable result; usually a mix of centering tabs, wedges under the yoke & more rarely, weak plastic/ferrite magnets.

I have several Goodmans, Roadstar SM's, note that these TVs are pretty generic varying mainly with which high pin-count "do it all" IC the manufacturer selected.

They were also sold under a bewildering number of brands, i've created a txt text file i update on a regular basis to keep track of who did what/when, etc. just for the fun of it.

Just a last minute thought, don't discount possible magnetization during shipping, presence of a metal mass near the TV, external speakers with a leaking magnetic field.
The automatic Power-on degaussing is often quite weak in these small sets. Some have a manual "Degauss" push button.

I have a 2 ft diameter AC powered degaussing loop, very useful for large vintage color sets.

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 09-30-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you hjalpen, i would definetly like to get my hands on to those manuals!
Do you mean that degaussing could help geometry issues? I didnt know that i thought it just had to do with colors going messed up.
This tv dosnt have a degaussing coil at all. Lucky me, i have degaussing coil in the works at garage, just need a lightbulb holder/socket for the series light bulb (and maybe a power switch would be good idea) so i can finish it.

I pm my email for you hjalpen, thank you for helpin!
Old 10-01-2023, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,
Hi Pjaska,

I sent the following set of files (SM's, schematics, photos) to your Mail address.
see list in snapshot below.
All concern 5" micro color TVs, all are PAL B/G Euro models, some with SECAM.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 753C49CD-9422-434E-91FE-288A2C2F51CD.jpeg (33.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-02-2023, 07:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello and thank you all my friends!
I got the capacitor for horizontal deflection. Image got little bit wider then with original capacitor and its not heating up like the electrolytic ones. Pincushion is still there but its much more tolerable now with proper overscan:

I tryed using gluable little magnets to it but i didnt get it any better. Maybe i try that in later episodes.. It is now having some interfierence lines on the picture after turning the tv on. They are usually black and may have some rainbow color parts too... They go away after some time or if i turn brightness and contrast down a little. They like appearing on bright light screens. I noticed this first time when i was messing with the capacitors, i dont know if they where there before me or not. I used to have it low on brightness becouse the black looks so gray, now after recapping and adjusting it i can have black look better in brighter settings. Do you guys think this is dangerous or bad for my tv? I havent build the degaussing tool yet..
Edit: interfierence looks like went gone when i reassembled the plastics. Maybe something was too close for wrong wire who knows time will tell...

I have spend so much time with this little tv now that my wife says i can sleep on the couch with convergence and geometry if i dont come back to real life now so i think i will have a little break with the project for now

Its cool how it is so close with the footprint of famicom. Now i can take it with me and my AV and USB modded famicom and we can all play outside (or next to a car at least) to the sunset

Last edited by Pjaska; 10-02-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjaska View Post
Hello and thank you all my friends!
I got the capacitor for horizontal deflection. Image got little bit wider then with original capacitor and its not heating up like the electrolytic ones. Pincushion is still there but its much more tolerable now with proper overscan:

I tryed using gluable little magnets to it but i didnt get it any better. Maybe i try that in later episodes.. It is now having some interfierence lines on the picture after turning the tv on. They are usually black and may have some rainbow color parts too... They go away after some time or if i turn brightness and contrast down a little. They like appearing on bright light screens. I noticed this first time when i was messing with the capacitors, i dont know if they where there before me or not. I used to have it low on brightness becouse the black looks so gray, now after recapping and adjusting it i can have black look better in brighter settings. Do you guys think this is dangerous or bad for my tv? I havent build the degaussing tool yet..
Edit: interfierence looks like went gone when i reassembled the plastics. Maybe something was too close for wrong wire who knows time will tell...

I have spend so much time with this little tv now that my wife says i can sleep on the couch with convergence and geometry if i dont come back to real life now so i think i will have a little break with the project for now

Its cool how it is so close with the footprint of famicom. Now i can take it with me and my AV and USB modded famicom and we can all play outside (or next to a car at least) to the sunset

Family Game? I believed they had only been sold in the third world. I had one.
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2023, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, i imported from japan. Here we had toaster NES but if you look closely you see that the "european versio" is scratch off with a pen becouse its really usa ntsc model that had no lid. Tv is also ntsc and imported from japan. I live in Finland (europe) our old game system have the "pal curse" the games are slowed down from ntsc 60hz to work with pal 50hz so they are like slow motion movie scene.
Old 10-03-2023, 06:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can imagine that. Here in Uruguay since the late 80s, almost all televisions were three systems, PAL N, M and NTSC due to games and camcorders of American origin. Congratulations, you have put a lot of love into that little TV.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjaska View Post
Yes, i imported from japan. Here we had toaster NES but if you look closely you see that the "european versio" is scratch off with a pen becouse its really usa ntsc model that had no lid. Tv is also ntsc and imported from japan. I live in Finland (europe) our old game system have the "pal curse" the games are slowed down from ntsc 60hz to work with pal 50hz so they are like slow motion movie scene.
I think it displays much better on that mini TV than on my mini TVs. What CRT does it uses? Shadow masks are all of the same "pixel" size? Maybe ist a monitor CRT?
Old 10-04-2023, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

+1, I'm also pretty sure to have seen one of these color 5" with larger phosphour size (I can assum not all being equal).
Old 10-04-2023, 11:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think it was labeled as 6" somewhere
Audiokarma