Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I need more vintage!!

Grainy VHS video playback

Hey guys!
I have a late 80's model hitatchi VCR that played fine but I decided to go ahead and clean the heads etc. anyway. After cleaning the heads with some 99% rubbing alcohol, the playback quality has become grainy. The tracking adjust knob doesn't do anything but make it worse than it already is. What's going on and what did I do wrong???
Old 12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

What other than the alcohol did you use to clean the heads with and how did you do it? Possibly you left something behind from your cleaning material snagged on one of the heads, or you may have done permanent damage. The actual heads are very tiny and fragile. They are made of ferrite and will break off like glass.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 PM
I need more vintage!!

Nothing should be broken off. I just used the alcohol and some Q-tips. I took off the actual spinning head and I did find some cotton inside the head. I put it back on and now the picture is a total disaster. Arrrgh!!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 PM
DTV blows

Q-tips. There's the problem.
One should really use foam swabs just for video cleaning. The cotton will do just as you described: clog the tiny microscopic gap in the heads.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 AM
I need more vintage!!

Just great. So I basically ruined the unit.

It's not tracking at all anymore.

Last edited by Trance88; 12-21-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
Nothing should be broken off. I just used the alcohol and some Q-tips. I took off the actual spinning head and I did find some cotton inside the head. I put it back on and now the picture is a total disaster. Arrrgh!!
Cotton Q-tips.. not a good idea in video heads. They snag on the heads and leave pieces of cotton strands, unless you're real careful and wind the cotton very tightly first, then only roll the tip back-and-forth over the individual heads. Sounds like it''s screwed. Unless... did you put the upper cylinder part back on the way it came off in the correct position, ands not 180° opposite?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Cotton fibers are like logs compared to the size of the video heads. Imagine trying to clean a wine glass by throwing tree branches at it.

best - use a cleaning tape cassette - or, a piece of microfiber cloth wetted with ethyl alcohol (or isopropyl). Some sites say you can use typing paper instead of microfiber. Hold the cloth or paper still and rotate the heads past it in the normal operating direction.

When we ran out of Sony head cleaner for our HDD-1000 digital high-def studio recorder, someone ran out and got a small bottle of Everclear brand 190 proof - worked like a charm.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 AM
I need more vintage!!

Nothing worked. I put the head back on in the correct position. Nothing but flipping and squiggly lines all over the screen. I eventually got so mad and fed up, I threw the head at the machine. I cracked a PC board, so it's trash now.

The crazy thing is, about a month ago, I used a cleaning cassette on this machine and it totally screwed it up. I was able to get the picture back to normal by using Q-tips and some rubbing alcohol. A couple days ago, I started to notice some artifacts in the picture quality so I whipped out the Q-tips and the rubbing alcohol again thinking that would clean it up.

Last edited by Trance88; 12-22-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I use paper towels and Alcohol to clean the heads.

Put some Alcohol on the towel, hold it against the head and turn the head gently back and forth in full rotations, repeat till no more oxide is left on the towel (heads should only be cleaned across, never up and down) this usually does the trick.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I use paper towels and Alcohol to clean the heads.

Put some Alcohol on the towel, hold it against the head and turn the head gently back and forth in full rotations, repeat till no more oxide is left on the towel (heads should only be cleaned across, never up and down) this usually does the trick.
Yep that works well, done it that way many times myself. As long as the paper towel is of good quality and very low lint like Bounty (no affiliation with P&G!)
Audiokarma
Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
The crazy thing is, about a month ago, I used a cleaning cassette on this machine and it totally screwed it up...
What kind of "cleaning" cassette? I never found a wet type I liked. Seen many of those like Bib and Allsop snag and break off heads. Only ones I ever recommended to my customers were the dry-type Scotch and Fuji brands.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I need more vintage!!

Yeah, it was a wet type cassette. BTW, can VCR heads be demagnetized like Audio tape heads?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
BTW, can VCR heads be demagnetized like Audio tape heads?
No I've never done it to video heads, the cylinder is non-magnetic as well as the tape guides. I suppose it's possible the audio-control track head might get slightly magnetized. If you record on it, I would think the record currents in the video, full-erase, audio and control track heads should take care of any slight residual magnetism.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM
TeeVee collector

It might be too late now, but try to do it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccjt5C4NJKY
Old 01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have often brought a seemingly dead VHS machine, and Beta, too, with clogged heads back to life by simply playing a new VHS or Beta tape at the slowest speed from beginning to end. Sometimes, it doesent work, but I have had good luck more often than not.

Since tape is obsolete now, I imagine it will be really hard to find new tapes in the future.

I've only thrown something one time. I was working on my car, when I stripped out a bolt that essentially stopped the car in its tracks. I was furious, and slung the wrench and socket... It went through a window and landed outside in leaves...burying itself. I NEEDED that wrench and socket, so I spent hours looking for it, after I replaced the window. My dad watched all this, and never said a word, until I found the wrench and replaced the bolt. Then, he says to me: I bet you dont throw another wrench, will you?
Audiokarma